Bill Cosby's lawyers try again to get sex assault case tossed

PHILADELPHIA -- Lawyers for Bill Cosby tried again Friday to have his criminal sex-assault case dismissed, asking an appeals court to consider whether Cosby had a binding agreement that he would never be charged.

See Full Article

Defence lawyers argue that Cosby had a promise from a former prosecutor that he wouldn't be charged over the 2004 encounter with a Temple University employee and should therefore testify in the woman's civil lawsuit.

He did, in a deposition unsealed last year that prompted a new prosecutor to reopen the case before the 12-year statute of limitations expired. Cosby said under oath that he gave the accuser three pills before engaging in sexual contact that he called consensual. He also acknowledged getting prescriptions for quaaludes so he could give them to women he hoped to seduce.

Montgomery County District Attorney Kevin Steele filed felony sexual assault charges against Cosby in late December, based on new evidence that included the deposition testimony and the dozens of other accusers who have come forward since to say that Cosby drugged and molested them. Cosby has denied wrongdoing.

A key question if the criminal case goes to trial is whether the other women's testimony or the lengthy Cosby deposition could be used in court.

But defence lawyers hope the case ends long before then.

Lawyer Brian McMonagle filed the appeal notice Friday to the state Superior Court. He also appealed a judge's decision to not disqualify Montgomery County District Attorney Kevin Steele.

Steele, responding to the appeals, said his office opposes any further delay in the case and does not think the defence has a right to appeal before the preliminary hearing.

Defence lawyers argue that Cosby's case became a "political football" in Steele's fall campaign for office. The person Steele defeated in the election, former District Attorney Bruce L. Castor Jr., testified at a hearing this month that he had promised not to charge Cosby in 2005. He felt the evidence was insufficient to file charges, in part because accuser Andrea Constand waited a year to contact police.

The Pennsylvania case is the only one to lead to criminal charges. Common Pleas Judge Steven T. O'Neill, who denied Cosby's motion to dismiss the case and disqualify Steele, has scheduled a March 8 preliminary hearing.



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • 'This Is Us,' 'Veep' casts take top SAG TV series awards

    Entertainment CTV News
    LOS ANGELES -- "This Is Us" won the top drama series trophy at Sunday's Screen Actors Guild Awards, making up for the Emmy and Golden Globe honours that eluded it and taking a stand for broadcast network TV amid growing online competition. Source
  • Morgan Freeman accepts life achievement honours at SAG Awards

    Entertainment CTV News
    LOS ANGELES -- Morgan Freeman first stood on a stage when he was 8 years old, playing Little Boy Blue in a pageant. That's when he knew he wanted to be an actor. More than seven decades later, the now 80-year-old Freeman accepted a lifetime achievement award Sunday from the Screen Actors Guild for the much larger roles he's played in his career, including his Oscar-winning performance in "Million Dollar Baby. Source
  • Women will lead a SAG Awards show unlike any in its history

    Entertainment CTV News
    LOS ANGELES -- The Screen Actors Guild Awards will make their mark on this year's Oscars race on Sunday, but it will be the treatment of women in Hollywood and beyond that will remain at the forefront. Source
  • Rockwell, Janney, Kidman among SAG Awards winners

    Entertainment CTV News
    LOS ANGELES -- The Screen Actors Guild Awards is tipping the scales for some Oscar hopefuls with a best actor win for Gary Oldman for his transformation into Winston Churchill for "Darkest Hour" and supporting actor wins for "I, Tonya's" Allison Janney and Sam Rockwell for his role in "Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. Source
  • 'Three Billboards' sweeps female-focused SAG Awards

    Entertainment CTV News
    LOS ANGELES -- The Western-inspired revenge tale "Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri" swept the female-focused and led Screen Actors Guild Awards Sunday with wins for best ensemble, best actress for Frances McDormand and best supporting actor for Sam Rockwell. Source
  • Women to lead SAG Awards show unlike any in its history

    Entertainment CBC News
    The Screen Actors Guild Awards will make their mark on this year's Oscars race on Sunday, but it will be the treatment of women in Hollywood and beyond that will remain at the forefront. The show, which has never had a host in its previous 23 years, will feature Kristen Bell as its inaugural host, a roster of almost all female presenters and an opening that will feature only actresses speaking about their craft. Source
  • 'We are living in a watershed moment': SAG Awards show spotlights women in Hollywood

    Entertainment CBC News
    The Screen Actors Guild Awards will make their mark on this year's Oscars race on Sunday, but it will be the treatment of women in Hollywood and beyond that will remain at the forefront. The show, which has never had a host in its previous 23 years, will feature Kristen Bell as its inaugural host, a roster of almost all female presenters and an opening that will feature only actresses speaking about their craft. Source
  • 'Jumanji' tops box office for third straight weekend

    Entertainment CTV News
    In this image released by Sony Pictures shows, from left, Kevin Hart, Dwayne Johnson, Karen Gillan and Jack Black from the film, 'Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle,' in theaters Dec. 20. (Frank Masi / Sony Pictures via AP) Source
  • SAG Awards putting spotlight on women amid #MeToo, Time's Up movements

    Entertainment CBC News
    It's easy to dismiss Sunday's Screen Actors Guild Awards as just another Hollywood accolade, but this year's show could carry some hefty messages when it comes to women's empowerment, gender equality and sexual harassment. "I think it's difficult," Canadian actress Amanda Brugel told CBC News in Los Angeles. Source
  • Celebrities join march for women's rights, encourage voting

    Entertainment CTV News
    LOS ANGELES -- Demonstrators from Los Angeles to New York marched in support of female empowerment and denounced U.S. President Donald Trump's views on immigration, abortion, LGBT rights and women's rights on Saturday, the anniversary of his inauguration. Source