Shkreli offers Kanye $10M to withhold album, sell exclusively to him

NEW YORK -- Former pharmaceutical chief Martin Shkreli's campaign to build up an impressive music portfolio rolls on.

After spending $2 million for the sole copy of Wu-Tang Clan's "Once Upon a Time in Shaolin" late last year, the 32-year-old former hedge fund manager is now offering $10 million to become the sole owner of Kanye West's new album.

See Full Article

Shkreli, an active Twitter user, posted a copy of an offer letter for West's new album "The Life of Pablo" to his account on Thursday. In the letter, Shkreli, asks West to withhold the release of his album and instead sell it to him.

Shkreli said in a separate tweet that West and his label, Universal Music Group, are legally required to take his offer to their board. He said it could delay the album's release by a few days.

West has yet to comment on Shkreli's offer on his official Twitter account, but did tweet Friday that the album was being mastered and would be out on Friday.

Universal Music Group did not immediately respond to an email seeking comment.

Shkreli made headlines last year after a drug company he founded, Turing Pharmaceuticals, spent $55 million for the U.S. rights to sell a life-saving medicine called Daraprim, then raised the price by more than fifty-fold.

He was called last week before a congressional committee investigating the price of drugs, but cited the Fifth Amendment privilege against self-incrimination.

Before the meeting was over, however, Shkreli was back on Twitter, calling members of Congress "imbeciles."

Shkreli is out on $5 million bail after being arrested in New York in December on securities-fraud charges not directly related to the drug price increase.

aiyo @kanyewest last minute can i buy your album out so it dont get released publicly

— Martin Shkreli (@MartinShkreli) February 11, 2016

Here is my initial offer for the album. @kanyewest Thanks for your consideration and I look forward to your response pic.twitter.com/opJ7mlfraK

— Martin Shkreli (@MartinShkreli) February 11, 2016

Kanye and his label are legally required to take my offer letter to their Board of Directors. This should delay the album by a few days.

— Martin Shkreli (@MartinShkreli) February 11, 2016

The point is NOT to keep music from people, it's to remind everyone how important and central it is in our lives.

— Martin Shkreli (@MartinShkreli) February 12, 2016


Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • Changing the channel: The Sun’s Bill Harris stepping away from the small screen

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    At least I didn't get cancelled. Rather, I have stepped away from the day-to-day operation of the show. As some of you know, I have decided to leave the Toronto Sun/Postmedia as a full-time employee. There are many reasons for this, all of which, I guess, fall under the general umbrella of “altered job environment. Source
  • Carrie Fisher's performance 'remains as it was' in The Last Jedi, says Disney CEO

    Entertainment CBC News
    Disney CEO Bob Iger says the upcoming Star Wars sequel has not been changed due to the death of Carrie Fisher. Fisher completed filming her role as Princess Leia/General Organa in The Last Jedi before her death following a heart attack in December. Source
  • Scarlett Johansson’s evolution: From indie starlet to a-- kicking hero in 'Ghost in the Shell'

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Brains and beauty have always been a given with Scarlett Johansson. But brawn? That one was a surprise. Johansson, 32, started acting in childhood. Anyone who saw her way back when as the wise little sister in Manny & Lo or the brave adolescent of The Horse Whisperer had great expectations for the actress — just not necessarily expectations involving death-defying stunts, spectacular fight scenes or explosive sci-fi asskickery. Source
  • Coming for you: Who is Kendrick talking about in new song?

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK -- Kendrick Lamar called out rappers by name in his infamous "Control" verse released in 2013, but the internet is playing the guessing game about his target in a new song. Lamar released "The Heart Part 4" on Friday and caused a frenzy on social media as fans and listeners tried to figure out whom the rap prince was referring to in the buzzed track. Source
  • Amy Schumer drops out of live-action Barbie movie

    Entertainment CBC News
    Amy Schumer won't be playing Barbie after all. The comedian has dropped out of a live-action film based on the Mattel doll due to scheduling conflicts, according to entertainment industry publication Variety. The movie had been scheduled to start shooting on June 23, but Schumer has a lengthy promotional tour for her comedy, Snatched, which opens in May. Source
  • Disney CEO: 'Last Jedi' not changed due to Fisher's death

    Entertainment CTV News
    SANTA MONICA, Calif. -- Disney CEO Bob Iger says the upcoming "Star Wars" sequel has not been changed due to the death of Carrie Fisher. Fisher completed filming her role as Princess Leia in "The Last Jedi" before her death following a heart attack in December. Source
  • 'No one should be making money off a black dead body:' White artist's Emmett Till painting sparks protest

    Entertainment CBC News
    An abstract painting of lynching victim Emmett Till on display at the Whitney Museum of American Art in New York was the subject of a weeklong protest by a black artist who decried the canvas as "an injustice to the black community" because it was painted by a white woman. Source
  • 'Handmaid's Tale' adaptation draws ire of Trump supporters

    Entertainment CTV News
    Canadian author Margaret Atwood’s classic novel about a dystopian world has drawn the ire of some Donald Trump supporters, who apparently believe the new series based on the 32-year-old novel is a slight against his administration. Source
  • Amy Schumer drops out of Barbie film

    Entertainment CTV News
    LOS ANGELES -- Amy Schumer won't be playing Barbie after all. Variety reports the comedian has dropped out of a live-action film based on the Mattel doll due to scheduling conflicts. Variety says the movie was scheduled to start shooting on June 23, but Schumer has a lengthy promotional tour for her comedy, "Snatched," which opens in May. Source
  • 'Bachelor' Nick Viall 'heartbroken' William Shatner hates him

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    U.S. reality TV star Nick Viall has invited Star Trek icon William Shatner to join him on Dancing With The Stars, after the actor urged fans to vote him off the show The Bachelor hunk admits he was “heartbroken” when Shatner launched a campaign to get him booted off the news season of DWTS, which started on Monday. Source