Accused stalker discusses desire to marry Gwyneth Paltrow

LOS ANGELES - An Ohio man charged with stalking Gwyneth Paltrow testified Wednesday that he sent her dozens of messages in the hope she might want to marry him despite her testifying against him in a previous stalking case.

See Full Article

Dante Soiu testified that he wanted his messages to show her unconditional love and friendship and that he had no animosity toward her over the earlier case, which sent him to a mental institution for several years. That case involved 500 messages, including sex toys and pornography, Soiu sent Paltrow in 1999 and 2000.

Soiu told jurors he wanted to let Paltrow know he was available and willing to marry her if the opportunity arose. His lawyers called him to testify in his own defence in the felony stalking case.

He sent Paltrow 66 messages and packages between 2009 and 2015, but none of the recent correspondence included pornography. A judge has said the earlier messages could be important to understanding Paltrow's fear of Soiu.

Paltrow testified Monday she was afraid of Soiu and began crying when she expressed fears about her children's safety.

Deputy District Attorney Wendy Segall questioned why Paltrow would want to marry him after he had sent her so many lewd messages and she had to testify against him.

"I was trying to show I had changed and I had become a different person," Soiu said. "I wanted to show a new face towards her."

Soiu said he didn't want to scare the actress, but he was intent on her responding to him. "I wanted her to say flat out, 'I don't want to marry you,' " he said. "That way I would have a definite response from her."

He said he wrote to many public figures, including President Barack Obama, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Russian President Vladimir Putin offering counsel on world affairs and solutions to problems.

He conceded that his notes to Paltrow were the only ones that expressed an interest in marriage. "Oh, no, I don't want to marry Putin," Soiu said.

Soiu was found not guilty by reason of insanity in 2000 in the previous case involving pornographic messages he sent to Paltrow. He was re-arrested last year after sending the actress new correspondence.

He said he was addicted to pornography at the time but said he is now on medication and considers himself healed.

The recent batch of letters described Soiu's intention to marry the actress as well as a pair of earrings he sent her in 2009 as a Christmas gift, some secondhand clothes and a Weight Watchers cookbook. He has also sent her religious books, and forwarded her letters he has sent to President Barack Obama and actress Angelina Jolie.

One letter described Paltrow "bowing to death," a reference the actress said she found disturbing.

Soiu, a self-described born again Christian from Columbus, Ohio, said he was referencing spiritual, not physical death, in his letters.

He said he hoped the Oscar winner would write him back if she wanted him to stop. "I wanted her to at least be a pen pal or at least say something," Soiu said.

Soiu testified he believed he had an understanding with Paltrow's lawyer that he could write to the actress until he was told to stop. He conceded that he never spoke or corresponded with the lawyer to reach that agreement.



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • Duhamel gets new deal to promote home state of North Dakota

    Entertainment CTV News
    BISMARCK, N.D. -- Hollywood actor Josh Duhamel will continue to promote his home state of North Dakota. North Dakota's tourism agency announced Wednesday in Bismarck that the star of several "Transformers" movies will be paid US$365,000 to be the face of the state's tourism campaign for the next two years. Source
  • Domestic battery charge against 'Glee' actress dismissed

    Entertainment CTV News
    CHESAPEAKE, W.Va. -- A domestic battery charge against an actress on the former hit show "Glee" has been dismissed in West Virginia. WCHS-TV reports that the case against 30-year-old Naya Rivera ended after her husband decided not to seek prosecution. Source
  • Humans will review video from most popular YouTube creators

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK -- Google says humans will now review video from its most popular YouTube creators after recent complaints. The videos being targeted are ones Google packages to advertisers as "preferred" content. While Google has had human reviewers before, it relies heavily on software to flag potential problems. Source
  • Canadian Opera Company launching new Rufus Wainwright production 'Hadrian'

    Entertainment CTV News
    TORONTO - The world premiere of a new production by Rufus Wainwright and Daniel MacIvor headlines the Canadian Opera Company's upcoming season. "Hadrian," Wainwright's second opera, is described as "a poetic meditation on the ways that love overturns worlds both political and personal. Source
  • Fans' frustration grows as Celine Dion cancels more shows

    Entertainment CTV News
    LAS VEGAS - Celine Dion has pulled out of another two concerts in Las Vegas, making it five shows she's had to cancel this month due to illness. A statement on Dion's Facebook page says concerts scheduled for Tuesday and Wednesday were cancelled because she "has been suffering for the past week from congestion and irritation of the vocal chords due to a lingering cold. Source
  • U2, Elton John, Kendrick Lamar to perform at Grammys

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK -- U2 and Elton John are headed to the Grammys to help the organization celebrate its 60th awards show. The Recording Academy announced Wednesday that U2 and John, who will sing one of his classics with Miley Cyrus, will perform at the Jan. Source
  • Ann Curry says she wasn't surprised by Matt Lauer allegations

    Entertainment CBC News
    Former Today show anchor Ann Curry says she's not surprised by the allegations that got former colleague Matt Lauer fired and that there was an atmosphere of verbal sexual harassment at the NBC show when she worked there. Source
  • Lucasfilm sets out 'Solo: A Star Wars Story' synopsis

    Entertainment CTV News
    A broad brushstroke outline of May 2018's "Star Wars" prequel, "Solo: A Star Wars Story" names major characters and goes some way to explaining their presence. Since casting began in 2016, we've had a pretty good idea of who'll be in "Star Wars" character backstory spin-off "Solo: A Star Wars Story. Source
  • Lebanon reverses move to ban Steven Spielberg's The Post

    Entertainment CBC News
    A Lebanese cinema manager says authorities have reversed a decision to ban Steven Spielberg's newspaper drama The PostĀ ahead of its opening. Isaac Fahed, sales and distributor manager of the country's Grand Cinemas chain, said Wednesday the film will open in theatres across Lebanon after "mediation" between the distributor and the Interior Ministry. Source
  • Lebanon reverses move to ban Spielberg's 'The Post'

    Entertainment CTV News
    BEIRUT -- A Lebanese cinema manager says authorities have reversed a decision to ban Steven Spielberg's newspaper drama "The Post" ahead of its opening. Isaac Fahed, sales and distributor manager of the country's Grand Cinemas chain, said Wednesday the film will open in theatres across Lebanon after "mediation" between the distributor and the Interior Ministry. Source