Sikh actor barred from Mexico flight sees 'small victory'

MEXICO CITY -- An Indian-American actor and designer who was turned away from an airline flight after refusing to remove his Sikh turban during a security check said he's "thrilled" that Aeromexico is vowing to overhaul its screening protocols.

See Full Article

In an interview Tuesday night at a Mexico City hotel where he ended up extending his stay by two nights, Waris Ahluwalia also expressed gratitude for the outpouring of support on social media that he believes helped pressure airline executives to change and apologize.

Ahluwalia showed an excerpt from an email that he said came from Aeromexico. The text said the airline had "issued a directive to its staff regarding the religious significance of the Sikh turban" and planned to ask that the U.S. Transportation Security Administration and the Mexican government implement sensitivity training on religious headwear for airport agents.

"That's all I wanted, and here it is in a few lines -- it's right there in black and white," he said. "I'm getting goosebumps right now that if this makes a difference for anyone travelling into the country or leaving the country, then it was all worth it."

He said the agreement had been worked out by lawyers for Aeromexico and the Sikh Coalition in New York and the deal had not yet been made public.

Aeromexico said earlier in the day that because of the incident it intended to revise security protocols to respect cultural and religious values of its customers.

The turban carries deep religious significance for Sikh men. Many members of the Sikh community have objected to the practice of frisking turbans, calling it unnecessary in a world with machines for body scanning and metal detection.

Ahluwalia, who had travelled to Mexico for an art fair, left his hotel around 4:30 a.m. Monday planning to catch a morning flight to New York. When he checked in he noticed the boarding pass had an "SSSS" notation on it, which he said he has encountered "more than a dozen times" before at airports and apparently flags passengers for secondary screening.

After passing through the security checkpoint, he said, he was pulled aside at the gate and checked with a wand, a pat-down, and swabs on his belt and bag.

"Then they asked me matter-of-factly, 'Can you take off your turban?"' Ahluwalia said. "At that point I said the thing that I always say when I've been asked that before. I said, 'I will not be taking my turban off here."'

Ahluwalia said he was then told he would not be boarding any Aeromexico plane and should arrange to fly with another carrier.

He turned to Instagram to let his followers know what had happened. Word spread rapidly on social media, and within about an hour airline executives tracked him down at the gate and offered him a boarding pass for the next flight to New York.

He declined, deciding to speak up as an actor and prominent member of the Sikh community to demand change.

"That was the moment I realized that if I didn't say anything, if I didn't do anything, if I didn't step out of my comfort zone, that this could happen again to someone" else, Ahluwalia said. "And I couldn't in good conscience get on that plane knowing that someone else would have to experience this."

He returned to the hotel.

That night, Aeromexico issued a statement saying it was "committed to transporting all its passengers without regard to their religion, social status or gender ... but the airline is obliged to comply with the federal rules determined by the U.S. Transportation Security Administration (TSA) for inspecting selected passengers travelling to the United States."

However, U.S. guidelines put into effect in 2010 no longer require air passengers to remove turbans if doing so makes them uncomfortable.

On Tuesday, the airline issued a more explicit apology to Ahluwalia "for the unfortunate experience he had with one of our security guards during the boarding process prior to his flight."

Ahluwalia said he isn't angry with Aeromexico or the agents who turned him away.

"The only way to combat that is with love, is with tolerance, is with understanding and is with education," he said.

He noted he was booked to return home Wednesday on the same Aeromexico flight he was blocked from.

"The reality of the situation is that it could have happened anywhere -- and it has happened everywhere," Ahluwalia said. "It just so happened it went this far here."



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • Video-game voice actors, publishers reach agreement to end strike

    Entertainment CBC News
    Video-game voice actors have agreed to end a nearly yearlong strike against several major gaming publishers. The actors union SAG-AFTRA and a representative for the publishers said Monday they reached a tentative agreement on Saturday to end the strike. Source
  • Robert Plant releases new track, announces 2018 tour

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK - Robert Plant is going on tour in North America next year to support his upcoming album, "Carry Fire." The former Led Zeppelin frontman announced Tuesday that his 2018 tour will begin Feb. Source
  • Going deaf has sharpened my art, David Hockney says

    Entertainment CTV News
    PARIS -- Renowned British painter David Hockney says his hearing loss has helped sharpen his sense of space and perspective. Speaking Tuesday at a retrospective of his work at Paris' Pompidou Center, Hockney said: "If you lose one sense, you gain other senses, and I feel I could see space clearer. Source
  • Liz Dawn, former Coronation Street actress, dies aged 77

    Entertainment CTV News
    LONDON -- Liz Dawn, the actress who played tart-tongued Vera Duckworth in the long-running British soap opera "Coronation Street," has died. She was 77. Dawn's family says the actress died "peacefully in her sleep" Monday night. Source
  • Federal court to hear 'Making a Murderer' appeal

    Entertainment CTV News
    MADISON, Wis. -- A federal appeals court will consider arguments Tuesday over whether detectives tricked a Wisconsin inmate featured in the "Making a Murderer" series into confessing and whether he should go free in a case that puts police practices in the spotlight. Source
  • Scott Disick, Sofia Richie make is Instagram official [Video]

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Scott Disick and Sofia Richie have taken their romance to the next level by sharing pictures of each other on social media. After weeks of rumours, the reality TV star and Lionel Richie’s daughter confirmed they were dating last week when they were pictured kissing on a beach in Miami, and they have already stepped up their relationship by making it Instagram official. Source
  • Jeffrey Dean Morgan accidentally reveals he and wife Hilarie Burton are expecting a baby girl [Video]

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Jeffrey Dean Morgan was left red-faced after accidentally revealing that he and wife Hilarie Burton are expecting a daughter at the Supernatural convention in New Jersey on Sunday. The 51-year-old actor was just one of the castmembers of the hit U.S. Source
  • Caitlyn Jenner's rep confirms Kylie's pregnancy, has known for 'some time' [Video]

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Kylie Jenner’s father Caitlyn has known about the 20-year-old’s shock pregnancy for “some time”, according to a spokesperson for the transgender Olympian. The reality TV star and make-up mogul hit headlines on Friday amid multiple reports suggesting she is expecting a baby with her rapper boyfriend Travis Scott. Source
  • 'It’s not my hand': Taron Egerton refused to shoot sex scene in 'Kingsman: The Golden Circle'

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Poppy Delevingne’s husband landed an unexpected cameo in Kingsman: The Golden Circle after leading man Taron Egerton declined to shoot a controversial sex scene with the model-turned-actress. Egerton reprises his role as spy Eggsy Unwin in the sequel to 2014’s Kingsman: The Secret Service, and part of the plot requires Unwin to get intimate with his mission target, Clara, played by Poppy, to plant a tracking device in her genitals. Source
  • Jennifer Lopez donates $1M to Puerto Rico relief

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK -- Jennifer Lopez has pledged $1 million toward hurricane relief efforts in her family's native Puerto Rico. Lopez announced during a news conference with New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo on Sunday that she would give money from her ongoing Las Vegas residency to various charities in the aftermath of Hurricane Maria. Source