'Most hated man' Martin Shkreli sued over Wu-Tang Clan album art

NEW YORK -- A Long Island artist sued ex-pharmaceutical CEO Martin Shkreli and others Tuesday over the use of his art in a Wu-Tang Clan album, saying he never expected portraits he posted on a fan blog two years ago to be used without his permission.

See Full Article

Artist Jason Koza said in the Manhattan federal court copyright infringement lawsuit that his portraits of members of the New York-based hip-hop group were used without authorization on an album Shkreli bought for $2 million.

The lawsuit comes after Shkreli's recent not guilty plea in Brooklyn federal court to securities fraud charges claiming he cheated investors in companies he created.

Shkreli, 32, became widely known last year after a drug company he founded, Turing Pharmaceuticals, spent $55 million for the U.S. rights to sell a life-saving medicine called Daraprim and then raised the price from $13.50 to $750 per pill. In recent testimony before a congressional committee investigating the price of drugs, he remained silent, citing the Fifth Amendment on the advice of his attorney, Benjamin Brafman. Brafman declined to comment on the lawsuit.

Koza, of Copiague, New York, said he learned that some of his portraits were in a 174-page book included with the album titled "Once Upon a Time in Shaolin" when he saw a news article after the sole copy of the album was reportedly sold to Shkreli. The lawsuit said Shkreli is prohibited from distributing further copies of the album commercially for 88 years.

He sought unspecified damages from Shkreli, a Wu-Tang leader, a music producer and the album's auctioneer. Other defendants did not immediately comment.

The lawsuit said that Koza, a musician who works for the Town of Babylon Department of Public Works, primarily creates ink-on-paper portraits of individuals such as David Bowie, Abraham Lincoln, Paul McCartney and Jim Morrison.

His portraits of Wu-Tang Clan members, created in 2013 and 2014, were comic-book-style depictions of the artists with titles such as "Ghostface Killa-Koza," "Inspecta Deck-Koza" and "U-God-Koza," the lawsuit said. It noted that he deposited applications to register all nine of his Wu-Tang Clan portraits with the U.S. Copyright Office on Feb. 1.



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • Rolling Stones guitarist Ronnie Wood has lung lesion removed

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    LOS ANGELES — A spokesperson for Ronnie Wood says the Rolling Stones guitarist has had a lung lesion successfully removed and is expected to make a full recovery. Wood, who turns 70 next week, says in a statement that he is grateful to doctors who found the lesion in its early stages. Source
  • Carrie Fisher would have led the cast of Episode IX: Star Wars boss

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Carrie Fisher would have been the star of the ninth Star Wars film had she lived. Lucasfilm Ltd president Kathleen Kennedy has revealed writers were planning to make her General Leia Organa character a major part of the film before the actress suffered a massive heart attack on a plane flight home to Los Angeles from London in December and died days after Christmas. Source
  • Playboy model pleads no contest for Snapchat post of nude gymgoer

    Entertainment CBC News
    A Playboy centerfold was ordered to clean up graffiti Wednesday for secretly snapping a photo of a naked 71-year-old woman in a locker room and posting it online with a mocking comment. Dani Mathers pleaded no contest to misdemeanor invasion of privacy in Los Angeles County Superior Court for the case that sparked outrage over the incident of so-called body shaming. Source
  • London premiere of 'Wonder Woman' is cancelled after attack

    Entertainment CTV News
    Director Patty Jenkins, from left, and actors Connie Nielsen, Chris Pine and Gal Gadot participate in the BUILD Speaker Series to discuss the film, "Wonder Woman" at AOL Studios on May 23, 2017, in New York. (Evan Agostini/Invision/AP) Source
  • Wonder Woman's London premiere cancelled after Manchester attack

    Entertainment CBC News
    The glitzy, star-filled London premiere of Wonder Woman has been scrapped following the terror attack in Manchester. Stars Gal Gadot, Chris Pine and Robin Wright had been scheduled to walk a red carpet on May 31 to help welcome the super hero film to Europe. Source
  • Ariana Grande cancels world tour stops through June 5

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK -- Ariana Grande's management team says she has suspended her world tour through June 5 in the wake of a suicide bombing at her concert in Manchester. The pop star, who was on a European leg of her "Dangerous Woman Tour," cancelled stops scheduled for Thursday and Friday at the 02 Arena in London. Source
  • Ariana Grande suspends world tour, cancels some Euro stops

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK -- Ariana Grande suspended her Dangerous Woman world tour and cancelled several European shows Wednesday due to the deadly bombing at her concert in Manchester, England. Shows Thursday and Friday in London were cancelled, along with concerts through June 5 in Belgium, Poland, Germany and Switzerland. Source
  • Ariana Grande postpones concerts after Manchester attack

    Entertainment CBC News
    Ariana Grande has put her Dangerous Woman tour dates on hold following the suicide bomb attack outside her concert at Manchester Arena on Monday. The world tour, which was set to stop at London's O2 Arena Thursday and Friday, "has been suspended until we can further assess the situation and pay our proper respects to those lost," according to a statement from the American singer's management. Source
  • 'The Great War is here': Game of Thrones season 7 trailer debuts

    Entertainment CBC News
    A new trailer for Game of Thrones' upcoming seventh season dropped online Wednesday, giving fans a tantalizingly brief look at what lies ahead for HBO's fantasy drama juggernaut. Fan favourites return to set up the seemingly final conflict between the Seven Kingdoms' surviving leaders: Jon Snow (Kit Harington) and his half-sister Sansa Stark (Sophie Turner) in Winterfell; Daenerys Targaryen (Emilia Clarke) and Tyrion Lannister (Peter Dinklage) currently in Dragonstone; and Cersei (Lena Headey)…
  • Top Gun 2 is 'definitely happening,' says Tom Cruise

    Entertainment CBC News
    The Danger Zone may have gotten old and dusty, but Tom Cruise says he's about to fly back in. The 54-year-old actor says the long-discussed sequel to Top Gun is a sure thing and should start shooting soon. Source