'Serial' questions don't make Syed innocent: prosecutor

BALTIMORE -- An alibi witness who was never called, cellphone data that was misrepresented and other legal failures justify a new trial for Adnan Syed, his defence lawyer argued Tuesday, closing a hearing prompted by a podcast that turned millions of listeners into armchair detectives.

See Full Article

Deputy Attorney General Thiru Vignarajah countered that the evidence is "overwhelming" that Syed was properly convicted and sentenced to life in prison for the 1999 strangling death of his high school girlfriend Hae Min Lee.

"This is not a popular position, but the state's role is to do justice," the prosecutor said, acknowledging the interest generated by "Serial," a public radio podcast that extensively re-examined the long-closed case.

Syed, now 35, was convicted at 19 of killing Lee and burying her body in a wooded park on the northwestern edge of Baltimore. The show raised questions about the fairness of his trial, and gained a cult following as it brought to light evidence that helped prompt a Maryland appeals court to grant this hearing.

Defence attorney Justin Brown urged Judge Martin Welch to reverse Syed's conviction.

"We proved our case. We did exactly what we said we would. I believe we met our burden and that Mr. Syed deserves a new trial."

Brown said cell tower data linking Syed to Lee's burial site was misleading because prosecutors presented it without a cover sheet warning that the information about incoming calls was unreliable.

Moreover, Brown said Syed's trial lawyer was ineffective because she didn't contact Asia McClain, now Asia Chapman, who said Syed was with her at a public library during the time Lee was killed.

"A mistake was made not to talk to an alibi witness who could have turned this trial around," Brown said, calling Chapman "earnest," "compelling" and "extremely credible."

Brown said, "If Mr. Syed was with Ms. McClain at the library on Jan. 12, 1999, he didn't kill Hae Min Lee. He couldn't have."

She wasn't the only defence witness ignored at trial, Syed's attorneys said. Investigator Sean Gordon testified that he managed to locate 41 of 83 potential alibi witnesses, and only four said they had been contacted by the original defence team for the 2000 trial. Of those, none were asked to testify.

Brown blamed personal problems plaguing Syed's trial attorney, Cristina Gutierrez, who was later disbarred in connection with other cases.

"At the time of the Syed case (Gutierrez) was unable to handle her cases," he said. "Her health was failing, her family was in turmoil ... her business, it was becoming unwound. As a result of the wheels coming off the bus, the single most important piece of evidence, an alibi witness, slipped through the cracks."

The case had been closed for years when producer Sarah Koenig, a former Baltimore Sun reporter, began examining it in 2014, drawing millions of listeners to her weekly podcast.

Despite this renewed attention, the prosecutor said, Syed wasn't convicted because of ineffective counsel or faulty evidence, but because "he did it."

Vignarajah said Gutierrez put on a "passionate, vigorous defence," and "poured every ounce of her great talents into Mr. Syed." Syed himself wrote to the trial judge during his original proceedings saying that Gutierrez's "hard work, determination and belief in my innocence assures me I'm in the best hands," he noted.

The victim's relatives insist he's guilty.

"Unlike those who learn about this case on the Internet, we sat and watched every day of both trials -- so many witnesses, so much evidence," their statement read. The defence's key alibi witness, they said, "did not know Hae, and because of Adnan she never will."



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • Victoria's Secret gala hits snag in China as model pulls out

    Entertainment CTV News
    Top U.S. fashion model Gigi Hadid on Friday pulled out of the annual Victoria's Secret fashion show in Shanghai after an online video showing her apparently making a slant-eyes face sparked criticism in China. The announcement is the second apparent snag to hit the U.S. Source
  • EA backs off in-game purchases in 'Star Wars Battlefront II' controversy

    Entertainment CTV News
    The developers of a new Star Wars video game are backing off their controversial business strategy following a storm of criticism on the social media site Reddit. Fans of “Star Wars: Battlefront II” showed their dark side earlier this week when they discovered the game’s maker, Electronic Arts, was keeping popular characters Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader behind a paywall. Source
  • Rare comic showing Superman's 1st appearance to be auctioned

    Entertainment CTV News
    LOS ANGELES -- A well-preserved issue of the 1938 comic book that first featured Superman is heading to the auction block. Profiles in History announced Friday that it will sell a copy of Action Comics .1 at a Dec. Source
  • Transparent actress alleges impropriety by star Jeffrey Tambor

    Entertainment CBC News
    An actress on Transparent says the show's star Jeffrey Tambor pressed his body against hers in a sexually aggressive manner and made inappropriate and unwanted sexual statements on the set of the show. Tambor denies the allegations saying in a statement that he has "never been a predator — ever. Source
  • Steven Avery attorney wants judge to reconsider denial of new trial

    Entertainment CTV News
    MANITOWOC, Wis. -- An attorney for a Wisconsin man convicted of homicide in a case featured on the Netflix series "Making A Murderer" is again asking a judge to reconsider a prior ruling rejecting a request for a new trial. Source
  • Actor Tom Sizemore denies groping allegations

    Entertainment CTV News
    SALT LAKE CITY -- Actor Tom Sizemore has addressed recent allegations that he groped an 11-year-old Utah girl during a 2003 photo shoot. Sizemore says he never inappropriately touched the child and calls the claims "highly disturbing. Source
  • What to expect if Prince Harry and Meghan Markle become engaged

    Entertainment CTV News
    As the Queen and Prince Philip prepare to celebrate 70 years of marriage with their platinum wedding anniversary on Nov. 20, royal watchers will be keeping a close eye on the weeks that follow for news of another royal occasion. Source
  • Movie reviews: 'Justice League' soars as a self-aware superhero smackdown

    Entertainment CTV News
    JUSTICE LEAGUE: 3 ½ STARS The old truism “less is more” has been thrown into the interdimensional void with the release of the new jam-packed superhero film “Justice League.” At almost two hours, and featuring the talents of not one but two high-powered directors—Joss Whedon took over for Zach Synder who stepped away in post-production due to personal issues—it features the top-line DC heroes like Superman (Henry Cavill), Batman (Ben Affleck) and Wonder Woman (Gal Gadot) plus a host of others…
  • Meryl Streep says experiencing violence profoundly changed her

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK - Meryl Streep says the two times in her life she dealt with violence were so profound it changed her "on a cellular level." Streep made the remarks Wednesday at the Committee to Protect Journalists' 27th annual International Press Freedom Awards in New York. Source
  • Meryl Streep says two moments of violence changed her

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK - Meryl Streep says the two times in her life she dealt with violence were so profound it changed her "on a cellular level." Streep made the remarks Wednesday at the Committee to Protect Journalists' 27th annual International Press Freedom Awards in New York. Source