Judge dismisses Dickinson's claim filed against Cosby's former lawyer

LOS ANGELES -- A judge on Tuesday dismissed model Janice Dickinson's defamation claim filed against Bill Cosby's former lawyer for denying her allegations that the comedian had drugged and raped her in 1982.

See Full Article

However, Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Debre Katz Weintraub did not dismiss defamation allegations made against Cosby in the same lawsuit.

Weintraub ruled that Dickinson cannot sue attorney Martin Singer because his denial of her allegations was known to her at the time she sued Cosby in May.

Dickinson's lawyers later amended her lawsuit to add the defamation allegations against Singer.

"We are very pleased with the ruling," Singer's attorney Andrew Brettler said. "We believe the court got it right."

Dickinson has said Cosby drugged and raped her in Lake Tahoe, California, in 1982. She never reported the rape to authorities and has said she was afraid if she did that her career would be damaged and Cosby would retaliate.

The statute of limitations has passed on suing for rape or other allegations directly related to the incident.

Dickinson is one of dozens of women who have accused Cosby of sexual abuse dating back to the 1960s.

"The primary focus of the case has always been against Bill Cosby and it remains against Bill Cosby," Dickinson's lawyer Lisa Bloom said after the hearing.

A Feb. 29 hearing was set on a motion by Cosby's lawyers to dismiss the rest of the suit.



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • 'Bachelor' star called 911 before allegedly fleeing deadly crash

    Entertainment CTV News
    This Tuesday, April 25, 2017, photo provided by the Buchanan County Sheriff's Office in Independence, Iowa, shows Chris Soules, former star of ABC's "The Bachelor," after being booked early Tuesday after his arrest on a charge of leaving the scene of a fatal accident near Arlington, Iowa. Source
  • Lorde, Imagine Dragons, Iggy Azalea set to appear at 2017 iHeartRadio MMVAs

    Entertainment CBC News
    Lorde is headed to this year's iHeartRadio Much Music Video Awards — but whether her lamp will make an encore performance remains to be seen. The New Zealand-raised musician is among the first round of artists announced for the televised street party in Toronto on June 18. Source
  • Jonathan Demme, director of 'The Silence of the Lambs', dead at 73 [Video]

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Oscar-winning moviemaker Jonathan Demme has died, aged 73. The acclaimed director of The Silence of the Lambs and Philadelphia passed away in New York on Wednesday. He had been battling esophageal cancer and died of complications from heart disease, according to a family source. Source
  • 'So sad he's gone' - fans react to death of Jonathan Demme

    Entertainment CTV News
    Some reaction to the death of filmmaker Jonathan Demme. "Jonathan Demme was a great artist, humanitarian, activist & a warm encouraging colleague. I've known very few like him. He will be missed." -- director Ron Howard via Twitter. Source
  • 'Nobody knows what I know': Madonna's not happy with a planned biopic about her start

    Entertainment CBC News
    Madonna isn't happy with a new biopic planned on her pre-fame life. The Hollywood Reporter reported Monday that Universal had acquired the rights to Blond Ambition, a script about the singer. Brett Ratner is expected to produce the film, which centres on her struggles in New York while making her first album. Source
  • Johnny Depp's former managers call him 'habitual liar'

    Entertainment CTV News
    LOS ANGELES -- Johnny Depp's former business managers say the star "is a habitual liar who denies responsibility for his own outrageous conduct" and "has himself to blame for his financial woes." The statement from Management Group spokesman David Shane is the latest volley in a public battle between the actor and his one-time management team. Source
  • Blockbuster has survived in the most curious of places - Alaska

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    For families across the United States, driving to the local Blockbuster Video was a Friday night ritual. The kids fought over which movies to rent, parents had to pay off the late fees and all succumbed to the popcorn and candy buckets at the register. Source
  • Jonathan Demme, 'Silence of the Lambs' director, dead at 73

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK -- Jonathan Demme, the Oscar-winning director of "The Silence of the Lambs" and "Philadelphia," and whose Talking Heads documentary "Stop Making Sense" is considered one of the greatest concert films ever, has died. Source
  • Ron Sexsmith is the Last Rider

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Call him a musician on the move: After three decades of renting in T.O., Ron Sexsmith jokes he had to leave the city to really live like "a rock star." The veteran 53-year-old singer and songwriter, whose latest album, The Last Rider, sees him touring theatres across Canada in April and May recently bought a four-bedroom house in the stage town of Stratford, Ont. Source
  • Jonathan Demme, director of 'The Silence of the Lambs', dead at 73

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Oscar-winning moviemaker Jonathan Demme has died, aged 73. The acclaimed director of The Silence of the Lambs and Philadelphia passed away in New York on Wednesday. He had been battling esophageal cancer and died of complications from heart disease, according to a family source. Source