Adnan Syed defence: 'We proved our case' for murder retrial

BALTIMORE -- An alibi witness who was never called, cellphone data that was misrepresented and other legal failures more than justify a new trial for Adnan Syed, his defence lawyer argued Tuesday, closing an unusual hearing prompted by the popular "Serial" podcast's extensive re-examination of the murder case.

See Full Article

Deputy Attorney General Thiru Vignarajah was delivering closing arguments for the state, which maintains that Syed was properly convicted of murder and sentenced to life in prison for the 1999 strangling death of his high school girlfriend Hae Min Lee.

But first, attorney Justin Brown summed up the defence case in closing arguments Monday and Tuesday, telling Judge Martin Welch that "we proved our case. We did exactly what we said we would. I believe we met our burden and that Mr. Syed deserves a new trial."

Brown argued that cell tower data linking Syed to Lee's burial site was misleading because it was presented to jurors without a cover sheet warning that information about incoming calls was unreliable.

Moreover, Brown said Syed's trial lawyer was ineffective because she didn't contact Asia McClain, now Asia Chapman, an alibi witness who said she was with Syed at a public library during the time Lee was killed.

"A mistake was made not to talk to an alibi witness who could have turned this trial around," Brown said, calling Chapman "earnest," "compelling" and "extremely credible."

Brown said, "If Mr. Syed was with Ms. McClain at the library on Jan. 12, 1999, he didn't kill Hae Min Lee. He couldn't have."



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • Tale about the doomed great auk wins $30,000 children's book prize

    Entertainment CTV News
    TORONTO - A tale about a resourceful bird facing great adversity has won the $30,000 TD Canadian Children's Literature Award. Jan Thornhill's book "The Tragic Tale of the Great Auk" won for its story about the doomed creature, which became extinct in 1844. Source
  • David Cassidy, former Partridge Family teen actor, dead at 67

    Entertainment CBC News
    David Cassidy, the teen and pre-teen idol who starred in the 1970s sitcom The Partridge Family and sold millions of records as the musical group's lead singer, died Tuesday at age 67. Cassidy, who announced earlier this year that he had been diagnosed with dementia, died surrounded by his family, a family statement released by publicist JoAnn Geffen said. Source
  • David Cassidy, 'Partridge Family' star and '70s teen idol, dies at 67

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK -- David Cassidy, the teen and pre-teen idol who starred in the 1970s sitcom "The Partridge Family" and sold millions of records as the musical group's lead singer, died Tuesday at age 67. Source
  • Chrissy Teigen and John Legend expecting second child

    Entertainment CTV News
    LOS ANGELES -- Chrissy Teigen and John Legend are expanding their family. The model and the musician used social media Tuesday to announce they're expecting their second child together. Teigen posted a video on Instagram that shows the couple's daughter, Luna, with her hands on her mother's stomach. Source
  • Weinstein paid $1M to silence Italian model who accused him of groping: report

    Entertainment CBC News
    Harvey Weinstein paid $1 million US to silence an Italian model who accused him of groping her in 2015 after prosecutors decided not to charge him, and in the 1990s, his brother paid other accusers from his personal bank account, a magazine reported Tuesday. Source
  • Pixar co-founder John Lasseter steps down over 'missteps' with employees

    Entertainment CBC News
    Pixar co-founder and Walt Disney Animation chief John Lasseter is taking a six-month leave of absence citing "missteps" with employees. In a vaguely worded memo obtained by The Associated Press Tuesday, Lasseter says he knows he has made some employees feel disrespected and uncomfortable. Source
  • Pixar co-founder John Lasseter takes leave over 'missteps' with employees

    Entertainment CBC News
    Pixar co-founder and Walt Disney Animation chief John Lasseter is taking a six-month leave of absence citing "missteps" with employees. In a vaguely worded memo obtained by The Associated Press Tuesday, Lasseter says he knows he has made some employees feel disrespected and uncomfortable. Source
  • Disney Animation, Pixar chief John Lasseter taking leave

    Entertainment CTV News
    LOS ANGELES -- Just days before Pixar's "Coco" is set to hit theatres, Pixar co-founder and Walt Disney Animation chief John Lasseter announced he is taking a six-month leave of absence citing "missteps" with employees. Source
  • People with facial differences see their stories reflected in Wonder

    Entertainment CBC News
    When Vanessa Wiens was just 12 years old, she was out walking her dog and someone yelled, "Hey you, ugly ... you should go kill yourself." She did contemplate suicide, being the target of cruel comments in her neighbourhood at least four times a week when she was growing up. Source
  • 'He still feels like Michael from Vancouver:' Junos tap 'guy next door' Bublé as 2018 host

    Entertainment CBC News
    After the curtain fell on the 2016 Juno Awards, producers behind the Canadian music celebration received an effusive call from a devoted fan praising the awards telecast: Michael Bublé. "He said: 'I would love to host again. Source