Romania: British travel writer's death treated as suspicious

BUCHAREST, Romania -- Romanian police have classified the death of a British travel writer as suspicious, almost a month after his decomposing body was found in his Bucharest apartment.

See Full Article

Police spokeswoman Bogdan Ghebaur said Friday the case of 47-year old David St. Vincent has been handed to the Bucharest prosecutors' office. His body was discovered on Jan. 12 and police initially suspected he had died of natural causes.

St. Vincent wrote about Romania, Iran and Pakistan. He was deported from Iran in 1992 while researching for his Lonely Planet book.

He had lived in Romania for many years and was a founder of Accept, a group that was instrumental in the 2001 decriminalization of homosexuality. He was an active supporter of Syrians opposing Syrian President Bashar Assad, and kept close contact with them.

"He was a perfectly British eccentric in the best possible way, like a character in an Evelyn Waugh or Graham Greene novel," said Eric Gilder, a friend and English teacher in Papua New Guinea. "He will be sorely missed."

St. Vincent is survived by a brother. A funeral will be held in Bucharest on Feb. 18.



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • Linkin Park releases statement about band member's death

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK - Linkin Park said their hearts are broken following the death of lead singer Chester Bennington, who died by hanging last week. The rock band said Monday that the "shock waves of grief and denial are still sweeping through our family as we come to grips with what has happened. Source
  • 'Dear Chester, our hearts are broken:' Linkin Park posts message after singer's death

    Entertainment CBC News
    "Our hearts are broken," Chester Bennington's Linkin Park bandmates said in their first official statement since the frontman's death last week. "Your absence leaves a void that can never be filled—a boisterous, funny, ambitious, creative, kind, generous voice in the room is missing. Source
  • Contest winner disqualified over pro-Trump Instagram post

    Entertainment CTV News
    WICHITA, Kan. (AP) — A Kansas makeup artist says she won a national contest sponsored by Kat Von D Beauty but was later disqualified because of an Instagram post supporting Donald Trump’s presidential candidacy. Screenshots taken by Gypsy Freeman show she was declared the winner last month of an Instagram “Saint + Sinner Contest” sponsored by the makeup line, which was founded by tattoo artist and former reality show star Kat Von D. Source
  • Wonder Woman sequel gets a title: 'Wonder Woman II'

    Entertainment CTV News
    SAN DIEGO (AP) — Wonder Woman has a few reasons to celebrate. As of Sunday, the superhero pic is now the highest-grossing film of the summer with US$398 million from North American theaters, and the sequel is official. Source
  • Shakespeare's Globe names Michelle Terry artistic director

    Entertainment CTV News
    LONDON - Shakespeare's Globe -- London's open-air, Elizabethan-style playhouse -- has appointed Olivier Award-winning actress Michelle Terry as its new artistic director. The London theatre says Terry will take up the post in April 2018. Source
  • Richards: Rolling Stones working on new original album

    Entertainment CTV News
    While the band have released covers, live albums, compilations, and box sets in recent years, this will be the band's first original output since 2005. In late 2016, the Rolling Stones released an all-covers album of blues classics, “Blue & Lonesome. Source
  • 'Mother Nature's joined the debate': Al Gore returns with An Inconvenient Sequel

    Entertainment CBC News
    Torrential downpours, unbridled wildfires, massive storm surges, deadly droughts — dangerous, extreme weather events becoming commonplace are a wake-up call from Mother Nature, says Al Gore. "Mother Nature's joined the debate and all these extreme events related to climate have really awakened a lot of people [to climate change]," the former U.S. Source
  • Mike Tyson: 'I was molested as a child'

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Boxer-turned-actor Mike Tyson has revealed a childhood molestation turned him into a fighting machine. The Hangover star was talking about his challenging childhood in Brooklyn, New York during an ESPN E:60 interview with old pal Jeremy Schapp when he let slip he had been the victim of a local pervert who dragged him into a building and “molested” him. Source
  • It's official: 'Wonder Woman II' is coming

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    SAN DIEGO — Wonder Woman has a few reasons to celebrate. As of Sunday, the superhero pic is now the highest-grossing film of the summer with $398 million from North American theatres, and the sequel is official. Source
  • Something was fishy about the Phelps vs. shark showdown

    Entertainment CBC News
    Michael Phelps is the fastest swimmer in the world. It would be a shame if something just turned up, out of the blue, to challenge his supremacy. Live look in at Michael Phelps preparing to battle his greatest opponent The Great White Shark#SharkWeek2017pic.twitter.com/l7Rc5T71Xf— @ScoutTeamRadio Source