Deposition to be key battle in Bill Cosby sex assault case

NORRISTOWN, Pa. - As a sexual assault case against actor Bill Cosby moves forward, a key battle will be waged over explicit testimony he gave in a deposition more than a decade ago.

See Full Article

Montgomery County Judge Steven O'Neill on Wednesday rejected the testimony of a former suburban Philadelphia prosecutor who said he promised Cosby would never be prosecuted. The decision allows the case to move to a preliminary hearing on March 8.

Cosby, 78, was arrested in December and charged with drugging and violating former Temple University athletic department employee Andrea Constand at his suburban Philadelphia home in 2004. The TV star could get up to 10 years in prison if convicted. He has not yet entered a plea.

At issue will be whether a civil deposition Cosby gave can be used in the criminal case. In his deposition, Cosby admitted that he had affairs with young models and actresses, that he obtained quaaludes to give to women he wanted to have sex with and that he gave Constand three pills at his home. He said he reached into her pants but insisted it was consensual.

In 2005, then-Montgomery County District Attorney Bruce Castor decided the case was too flawed to prosecute. But Castor's successors reopened the investigation last year after Cosby's lurid, decade-old testimony was unsealed at the request of The Associated Press. Dozens of other women also came forward with similar accusations that destroyed Cosby's nice-guy image as America's Dad. This is the only case in which he has been charged.

O'Neill issued his ruling after a hard-fought two-day hearing. He said witness credibility was a factor but he did not elaborate.

In another setback for the defence, the judge also denied a request to disqualify newly elected Montgomery County District Attorney Kevin Steele from the case. Cosby's lawyers had accused Steele of making a "political football" out of Cosby during his political campaign.

Cosby, who in his deposition called himself "one of the greatest storytellers in the world," remained silent in court this week.

His lawyers tried to get the case thrown out with help from Castor, who testified at the hearing that he intended to forever close the door on prosecuting the comedian. He said he considered his decision binding on his successors.

The promise was made to Cosby's now-deceased lawyer.

"In this case, the prosecution should be stopped in its tracks," Cosby lawyer Chris Tayback argued. "Really what we're talking about here is honouring a commitment."

Steele challenged Castor's credibility and questioned whether the former DA ever made such an agreement, since it was never put in writing on a legal document. He argued that in any case, Castor had no legal authority to make such a deal.

"A secret agreement that allows a wealthy defendant to buy his way out of a criminal case isn't right," Steele told the judge.

"There's no other witness to the promise," O'Neill said. "The rabbit is in the hat and you want me at this point to assume, 'Hey, the promise was made, judge. Accept that."'

On the witness stand, Castor defended his decision not to bring charges, citing among other things Constand's yearlong delay in going to police, her continued contact with Cosby, and suggestions that she and her mother might have tried to extort the comic.

Most of the back-and-forth in court hinged on the wording and interpretation of a 2005 press release in which Castor announced he would not prosecute Cosby. Castor found himself sparring with prosecutors over many seemingly inconsistent statements he made over the years on whether Cosby could still be charged.

Castor tried to make a comeback as DA last fall but lost to Steele in a hotly contested race, during which Steele ran ads criticizing Castor for not prosecuting Cosby when he had the chance.

More than 50 women have accused Cosby of drugging and sexually assaulting them since the 1960s, but the statute of limitations for prosecuting the comic has run out in nearly every instance.



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • Iranian director to send prominent proxies to Oscars

    Entertainment CTV News
    TEHRAN, Iran -- An Oscar-nominated Iranian director has announced two prominent Iranian Americans will be representing him and his film "The Salesman" at the upcoming Oscars ceremony, because of a currently-suspended travel ban issued by President Donald Trump. Source
  • Judge: Only 1 Cosby accuser can testify at sex assault trial

    Entertainment CTV News
    PHILADELPHIA -- A judge will let only one other accuser testify at Bill Cosby's sexual assault trial to bolster charges that the actor drugged and molested a woman at his estate near Philadelphia. The pivotal ruling Friday by a Pennsylvania judge means prosecutors cannot call 12 other women to try to show that the 79-year-old comedian has a history of similar "bad acts. Source
  • Toronto film festival to slim down

    Entertainment CTV News
    Facing growing criticisms that the festival had grown too big and unwieldy, TIFF organizers are cutting two of its 16 programs and reducing the number of films that will be screened by 20 per cent. Source
  • Queens of the Stone Age to headline Quebec festival

    Entertainment CTV News
    Josh Homme's innovative rock band has been revealed as the main attraction for this year's Montabello Rock Fest Held in Quebec, Canada from June 22-25, the festival will also be welcoming The Offspring and Megadeath as well as rock and roll royalty, Iggy Pop. Source
  • Gamer dies while attempting 24-hour stream for charity

    Entertainment CTV News
    VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. - Police are investigating the death of a popular Virginia gamer who died during the home stretch of a 24-hour marathon video game session he was streaming online to raise money for the Make-A-Wish Foundation. Source
  • Ellen, Wal-Mart give scholarships to school's senior class

    Entertainment CTV News
    Ellen DeGeneres arrives at the 26th Annual GLAAD Media Awards held at the Beverly Hilton Hotel, in Beverly Hills, Calif. on March 21, 2015. (Richard Shotwell/Invision/AP, File) Source
  • Caitlyn Jenner calls Trump transgender washrooms decision 'a disaster'

    Entertainment CBC News
    Caitlyn Jenner is taking U.S. President Donald Trump to task for his administration's reversal of a directive on transgender access to public school bathrooms. Jenner addresses Trump in a video posted Thursday night on Twitter. She says, "From one Republican to another, this is a disaster. Source
  • Justin Bieber swears he didn't actually pee his pants

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Justin Bieber has assured fans he didn’t soil himself after he was pictured with a wet patch on his trousers on Wednesday. The Sorry singer was snapped while stepping out in West Hollywood on Wednesday and many fans noticed he had a wet patch in the crotch of his grey sweatpants. Source
  • What it's like to be a seat filler at the Oscars

    Entertainment CTV News
    TORONTO -- Mark Chiolis has been to the Oscars four times and has sat as close as fourth row. He's had better seats than some major film creators and stars, and yet, he is neither of those. Source
  • Fans in Japan rush to get Murakami book with esoteric title

    Entertainment CTV News
    TOKYO -- Fans of Haruki Murakami rushed to Japanese bookstores Friday to get his latest work with an esoteric title. "Kishidancho Goroshi," or "Killing Commendatore," is a two-part story about a 36-year-old portrait painter and what happens after his wife divorces him and he moves into an old house on a mountainside west of Tokyo. Source