Celine Dion to speak at Rene Angelil memorial

LAS VEGAS -- Celine Dion will address the audience, but she isn't expected to sing at the memorial in Las Vegas for Rene Angelil, her husband and manager credited launching with her career.

See Full Article

Angelil died on Jan. 14 after a long battle with throat cancer in the suburban Las Vegas home that he shared with Dion and their three children. He was 73.

The Wednesday memorial will be held at The Colosseum at Caesars Palace starting at 7 p.m., with a livestream available online for the two-hour broadcast.

Event organizers said the singer with one of the most popular voices in the world will speak at the event celebrating Angelil's life.

The widow didn't speak publicly at his Jan. 22 funeral at the Notre-Dame Basilica, the site of their wedding 21 years ago. Their eldest son, Rene-Charles, gave the eulogy to a crowd of nearly 700 people before Angelil was buried at the Notre-Dame-des-Neiges cemetery in a private graveside ceremony. The family on the previous day had spent nearly seven hours greeting fans and mourners at a public visitation at the same Montreal church.

At the Las Vegas memorial, the mother and son will be joined by Angelil's children from previous marriages and his brother, Dion's publicist Kim Jakwerth said. There will also be music and speeches from guests ranging from Dion's longtime agent and friends in the music business to Caesars executives and a Las Vegas charity.

Born in Montreal to a Canadian mother and Syrian father, Angelil was a former singer-turned-manager who discovered a 12-year-old Dion and mortgaged his house to finance her first album.

He guided her career most of her life, most critically as she learned a new language to sing in English to become a widespread international success. By the late 1990s and 2000s, her soaring voice had become dominant on the radio. The theme from "Titanic," the smash "My Heart Will Go On," has been her defining hit, and she has had other hits that have sold millions of copies around the world.

Angelil was constantly seen by her side. He is also credited with launching Dion's residency at Caesars in 2002, which helped shaped the current entertainment landscape on the Las Vegas Strip.



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • Game of Thrones giant, actor Neil Fingleton, dies at 36

    Entertainment CBC News
    Neil Fingleton, a seven-foot-seven-inch actor who played the giant Mag the Mighty in Game of Thrones, has died at 36. The Tall Persons Club says Fingleton, who was Britain's tallest man, died Saturday. British media reported the cause as heart failure. Source
  • A full list of Oscar winners at the 89th Academy Awards

    Entertainment CTV News
    Sorry ' La La Land,' but 'Moonlight' really won 'Call me': Steve Harvey to Warren Beatty after Oscars Best Picture flub Source
  • Willie Nelson, Kenny Chesney among those to honour Merle Haggard

    Entertainment CTV News
    NASHVILLE -- The late country star Merle Haggard will be honoured a year after his death with an all-star concert featuring his longtime friend and duet partner Willie Nelson as well as Kenny Chesney, Miranda Lambert, John Mellencamp and more. Source
  • Toronto film industry made $2B in 2016: Tory

    Entertainment CTV News
    Toronto's mayor says the film, television and digital industry spent $2 billion on productions in the city last year, topping the previous high of $1.5 billion in 2015. John Tory says $800 million of last year's total came from Los Angeles-based productions. Source
  • Serial burglar guilty of costly raid at Simon Cowell's home

    Entertainment CTV News
    LONDON -- A habitual burglar has been found guilty of stealing nearly 1 million pounds ($1.25 million) of jewelry from the home of entertainment mogul Simon Cowell. Darren February was convicted Monday at Isleworth Crown Court in London. Source
  • Historic mistake: How the Oscar flub stacks up against past mixups

    Entertainment CTV News
    The last time there was a mixup like Sunday night's Oscar fiasco, there were few feature-length colour films, no TVs and certainly no social media networks for people to vent their outrage. The disastrous "La La Land"-"Moonlight" mistake of 2017 is rivalled only by the Best Director debacle of 1934, at the sixth Academy Awards. Source
  • 'Warren, I know your pain:' Steve Harvey offers advice after Oscars snafu

    Entertainment CBC News
    If Warren Beatty needs someone to talk to following Sunday night's epic award mix-up at the Oscars, Steve Harvey has open ears. While hosting the Miss Universe pageant in 2015, Harvey accidently named the wrong woman as the winner during the live broadcast. Source
  • Matt Damon regretted giving 'Manchester' role to Casey Affleck

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Matt Damon has Mars to blame for missing out on Manchester by the Sea. The lead role won Casey Affleck an Oscar Sunday night and director Kenneth Lonergan an award for Best Screenplay. But in a cruel twist of fate, the Best Actor prize might have been Damon’s had he taken the role of Lee Chandler. Source
  • Steve Harvey on Oscars gaffe: 'I'm free at last!' [Video]

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    LOS ANGELES — If Warren Beatty needs someone to talk to following Sunday night’s epic award mix-up at Sunday night’s Oscars, Steve Harvey is open ears. While hosting the Miss Universe pageant in 2015, Harvey accidently named the wrong woman as the winner during the live broadcast. Source
  • Lauryn Hill delays makeup concert for show that started late

    Entertainment CTV News
    PITTSBURGH -- Singer-rapper Lauryn Hill has postponed a Pittsburgh concert that was scheduled to make up for one last month that started more than three hours late. The Pittsburgh Cultural Trust says Tuesday's show at the Byham Theater has been moved to June 2 "due to a scheduling conflict. Source