Cosby lawyer says comedian was assured he was in the clear

NORRISTOWN, Pa. -- Bill Cosby's top legal adviser said Wednesday that he never would have let the comedian testify in a 2005 lawsuit if he thought Cosby could still face sexual assault charges in the matter.

See Full Article

Lawyer Jack Schmitt testified that Cosby's legal team considered the criminal case "irrevocably concluded" after a suburban Philadelphia district attorney told them he was closing the investigation into charges Cosby drugged and violated Andrea Constand.

Schmitt said Cosby later sat for a deposition in Constand's civil suit over four days and never once invoked his Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination.

"We did that knowing the criminal matter had been concluded and could not be reopened," Schmitt said.

Schmitt took the stand on Day 2 of a bid by the TV star's lawyers to get the sexual assault charges against Cosby thrown out. They say then-District Attorney Bruce Castor gave Cosby immunity from prosecution in the case a decade ago.

Cosby, 78, was arrested and charged in the Constand case in December by Castor's successors, who reopened the investigation after portions of the deposition were unsealed last summer and dozens of women came forward to say he assaulted them.

If criminal charges were still a possibility, "we certainly wouldn't let him sit for a deposition," Schmitt said.

Cosby is accused of drugging and violating the former Temple University athletic department employee at his suburban Philadelphia mansion in 2004. The TV star known as America's Dad could get 10 years in prison if convicted.

In the deposition, Cosby acknowledged obtaining quaaludes to give to women he wanted to seduce. He also admitted he reached into Constand's pants but said it was consensual.

The current DA, Kevin Steele, has argued that Castor's 2005 decision is not binding on current prosecutors. It was never put in writing in a legal document. The only written evidence of a no-prosecution pledge came in an opaque press release sent out by Castor.

Under questioning by Steele, Schmitt acknowledged that he relied on both the press release and assurances that Castor gave a decade ago to Cosby lawyer Walter Phillips -- who is now dead. "There was no other written agreement," Schmitt said.

Judge Steven T. O'Neill said he hoped to rule Wednesday on the request to throw out the charges.

In the morning, supporters yelled, "We love you, Bill!" as the comedian made his way slowly into the courthouse with assistants to either side of him. Cosby uses a cane, and his eyesight is said to be deteriorating.

On Tuesday, Castor was the star witness for the defence at the pre-trial hearing.

Castor testified that he believed Constand's story but found serious flaws in the case in 2005 and declined to bring charges. He said that as district attorney, he considered the decision final and binding "for all time" on his successors.

Castor said that in ruling out any prosecution of Cosby, he hoped to prod the TV star to testify in the lawsuit. "I was hopeful that I had made Ms. Constand a millionaire," he said. Constand eventually settled for an undisclosed sum.

"If there was an agreement, why didn't you make that agreement in writing?" the judge asked Castor.

"It was unnecessary because I concluded there was no way the case would get any better," he said. He also said Cosby was afraid such an agreement would make him look bad.

Dozens of women have accused Cosby of drugging and sexually assaulting them since the 1960s, destroying his good-guy image as America's Dad. But the statute of limitations for prosecuting him has run out in nearly every instance. This is the only case in which he has been charged.

Castor defended his decision not to bring charges, citing among other things Constand's yearlong delay in reporting the allegations, her continued contact with Cosby, and suggestions that she and her mother might have tried to extort the TV star.

Associated Press writers Michael R. Sisak and Errin Haines Whack contributed to this report



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • 'Bachelor' star Chris Soules acted reasonably after crash, legal team says

    Entertainment CTV News
    This Tuesday, April 25, 2017, photo provided by the Buchanan County Sheriff's Office in Independence, Iowa, shows Chris Soules, former star of ABC's "The Bachelor," after being booked early Tuesday after his arrest on a charge of leaving the scene of a fatal accident near Arlington, Iowa. Source
  • Bella Thorne Snapchats her bikini wax

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Actress Bella Thorne has shared her first bikini waxing session online. The 19-year-old posted footage of herself getting her summer groom on via Snapchat this week. Fans watched as she sat on a white towel with a pair of scissors in her right hand, apparently trimming her pubic hair, ahead of the waxing session with a beautician. Source
  • What's happening right now at the ECMAs in Saint John

    Entertainment CBC News
    Roll out the red carpet: the East Coast Music Awards show kicks off Thursday evening at Harbour Station. Starting at 8 p.m., winners will be announced in categories including album/video/solo recording of the year, enregistrement francophone de l'année, Indigenous artist of the year, song of the year, and the country, rock and rising star categories. Source
  • Mississippi man sues R. Kelly, says singer ruined marriage

    Entertainment CTV News
    JACKSON, Miss. - A Mississippi sheriff's deputy is suing singer R. Kelly, alleging that Kelly had a yearslong affair with his wife that broke up his marriage. Deputy Kenneth Bryant, who married Asia Childress in Mississippi in 2012, filed suit last week in state court in Jackson. Source
  • New Shania Twain album coming in September, single in June

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Shania Twain says her first album in 15 years will be available in September, while a new single is coming in June. The country superstar from Timmins, Ont., made the announcement on the singing competition series “The Voice,” in which she’s acting as a key mentor this season. Source
  • From the wrestling ring to Hollywood, Dwayne Johnson wants 'to change the way the game is played' [Video]

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    LOS ANGELES — In 2000, Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson was trying to break into Hollywood. He was off to an OK start. The pro-wrestler already had a following, a role in “The Mummy Returns” and high-wattage charm. Source
  • She's still the one: Shania Twain's 1st album in 15 years coming out in September

    Entertainment CBC News
    Here's something that's bound to impress you: Shania Twain says her first album in 15 years will be available in September, while a new single is coming in June. The country superstar from Timmins, Ont. Source
  • Late Night 'toothiness': Jim Carr laughs off beaver file photo on Colbert's talk show

    Entertainment CBC News
    Canada's natural resources minister is responding to the light mocking he received on a late-night talk show this week. The Late Show host Stephen Colbert chose a photo of a hearty Canadian beaver in a suit and tie to represent Manitoba MP Jim Carr in a broadcast Tuesday. Source
  • Roman Polanski's latest movie added to Cannes Film Festival

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK -- Roman Polanski's latest film is heading to the Cannes Film Festival. The French festival announced a few additions to its lineup on Thursday. Polanksi's "Based on a True Story" will play out of competition. Source
  • Ridley Scott looks forward with 'Alien,' Blade Runner' sequels [Video]

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    LOS ANGELES — Ridley Scott insists he is not a nostalgic person, but you wouldn’t know that looking at the 2017 movie calendar. Not only are audiences getting another “Alien” movie, “Alien: Covenant,” on May 19, but also a long-time-coming “Blade Runner” sequel in October. Source