Cosby arrives for Day 2 of bid to get sex assault case thrown out

NORRISTOWN, Pa. -- Bill Cosby arrived in court Wednesday for Day Two of his bid to get the sexual assault case against him thrown out over an unwritten promise of immunity that a previous district attorney says he gave Cosby's now-dead lawyer a decade ago.

See Full Article

Supporters yelled "We love you, Bill!" as the 78-year-old comedian made his way slowly into the courthouse with assistants to either side of him. Cosby uses a cane, and his eyesight is said to be deteriorating.

Cosby, 78, was arrested and charged in December with drugging and violating former Temple University athletic department employee Andrea Constand at his suburban Philadelphia mansion in 2004. He could get up to 10 years in prison if convicted.

On Tuesday, Judge Steven T. O'Neill puzzled over the testimony of former District Attorney Bruce Castor and peppered him with questions as Castor wrapped up hours of testimony as the star witness for the defence at the pre-trial hearing.

Castor testified that he believed Constand's story but found serious flaws in the case in 2005 and declined to bring charges. He said that as district attorney, he considered the decision final and binding "for all time" on his successors.

Castor suggested that Cosby and his then-lawyer, Walter Phillips, had the same understanding because the comic later agreed to testify without invoking his Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination in a lawsuit brought against him by Constand.

"Cosby would've had to have been nuts to say those things if there was any chance he could've been prosecuted," Castor said, referring to the damaging testimony from a deposition unsealed last summer.

Phillips died last year.

Castor said that in ruling out any prosecution of Cosby, he hoped to prod the TV star to testify in the lawsuit. "I was hopeful that I had made Ms. Constand a millionaire," he said. Constand eventually settled for an undisclosed sum.

"If there was an agreement, why didn't you make that agreement in writing?" the judge asked Castor.

"It was unnecessary because I concluded there was no way the case would get any better," he said. He also said Cosby was afraid such an agreement would make him look bad.

Kevin Steele, the newly elected district attorney who is pursuing the case, has said Cosby would need an immunity agreement in writing to get the case thrown out.

The judge said he hoped to rule Wednesday on the request to dismiss the charges.

Dozens of women have accused Cosby of drugging and sexually assaulting them since the 1960s, destroying his good-guy image as America's Dad. But the statute of limitations for prosecuting him has run out in nearly every instance. This is the only case in which he has been charged.

It was the unsealing of the testimony from Constand's lawsuit that prompted Castor's successors to reopen the case and ultimately charge Cosby.

Cosby admitted in the deposition that he obtained quaaludes to give to women he wanted to have sex with and that he gave Constand three pills at his home. He said he reached into her pants but insisted it was consensual.

Castor defended his decision not to bring charges, citing among other things Constand's yearlong delay in reporting the allegations, her continued contact with Cosby, and suggestions that she and her mother might have tried to extort the TV star.

Associated Press writers Michael R. Sisak and Errin Haines Whack contributed to this report.



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • 'The Bachelor' recap: A visit from ex Andi Dorfman

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    This week’s episode of The Bachelor was only an hour, as opposed to the usual 120 minutes of jet-setting, rose-filled, wine-soaked drama. But that didn’t stop Nick Viall from triggering tears, flying his remaining women to a new location and fitting in a surprising reunion with the brunette bachelorette who almost married the 36-year-old software salesman – Andi Dorfman. Source
  • How presenters are given the winning Oscar envelopes

    Entertainment CTV News
    Brie Larson, left, being handed the best actor envelope by accountant Brian Cullinan backstage at the Oscars at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles on Sunday, Feb. 26, 2017. (Matt Sayles / Invision) Source
  • Oscar gaffe makes for a whodunit: is tweet the smoking gun?

    Entertainment CTV News
    LOS ANGELES -- Moments before he handed out the wrong envelope in one of the worst gaffes in Academy Award history, PwC accountant Brian Cullinan tweeted a behind-the-scenes photo of winner Emma Stone holding her statuette. Source
  • La La Land was best picture for 2 minutes 29 seconds. Here are some other Oscar numbers

    Entertainment CBC News
    Not many people griped about how long the Oscars ran overtime during Sunday's ceremony, thanks to the shocking best picture blunder that came at the show's tail end. But the ceremony did have a few numbers worth considering. Source
  • Coming soon: Hustler TV Canada

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    The competition in Canada's porn industry has just got a little stiffer. Hustler has announced it will be launching a new television network devoted to naked women and other such naughty things. Launching March 21, in conjunction with Montreal-based adult entertainment company Vanessa Media, the subscription-based Hustler TV Canada will have both a 24-hour porn channel and video-on-demand service. Source
  • Oscars draw 32.9M viewers in U.S.

    Entertainment CTV News
    Sorry ' La La Land,' but 'Moonlight' really won 'Call me': Steve Harvey to Warren Beatty after Oscars Best Picture flub Source
  • Oscar envelopes explained: How do presenters get the winning names?

    Entertainment CBC News
    Photos By Sandy Cohen, The Associated PressPosted: Feb 27, 2017 3:59 PM ETLast Updated: Feb 27, 2017 3:59 PM ET Source
  • Making music video with teens in Indigenous communities helps plant 'seed of confidence'

    Entertainment CBC News
    Matthew Monias says he was around eight years old when depression started to really hit him. That's when he stopped singing. Before then, he had been singing since he was four years old, said the teen, who lives in Garden Hill First Nation, about 475 kilometres north of Winnipeg. Source
  • In honour of #envelopegate, the 15 biggest Oscar shockers [Video]

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    La La Land mistakenly announced as Best Picture! It was really Moonlight! They got the wrong envelope! THE SKY IS FALLING!!! But not really. The ‘wrong envelope’ caper from Sunday’s Oscar broadcast (a.k.a. #envelopegate) isn’t even a first — that happened back in 1964 when Sammy Davis Jr. Source
  • Cut Warren Beatty a little slack after Oscars gaffe [Video]

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    “I got a feeling something went wrong and now I own a blind camel” — Warren Beatty as Lyle Rogers in Ishtar. Give Warren Beatty a break. The New York Daily News calls him “brain dead. Source