Adnan Syed, central figure in 'Serial' podcast, to argue for new trial

BALTIMORE -- A convicted murderer who was the focus of a popular podcast is returning to court to argue he deserves another trial and a new chance at freedom.

See Full Article

The podcast "Serial" revolved around the story of Adnan Syed, now 35 and serving a life sentence. At 19 he was convicted of strangling his high school girlfriend in a wooded park on the northwestern edge of Baltimore. The show raised questions about the fairness of Syed's trial in Hae Min Lee's death. It gained a cult following and uncovered evidence that helped prompt a Maryland appeals court to grant a hearing on the possibility of a new trial.

The case had been closed for years when producer Sarah Koenig, a former Baltimore Sun reporter, reopened it in the podcast in 2014, drawing millions of listeners each week - so many that the podcast shattered Apple's iTunes store's record for downloads, reaching 5 million faster than any other podcast program.

The hearing, scheduled to last three days before Baltimore Circuit Judge Martin Welch, is meant to determine whether Syed's conviction will be overturned and case retried.

"We've waited a long time to get back into court and to put on witnesses that will prove our claim, and that's exactly what we're going to do this week," said Justin Brown, Syed's attorney.

Syed's motion for a new trial centers on two issues: an alibi witness who was never called to testify at Syed's trial, and cell tower data that defence attorneys argue is inaccurate, misleading and should never have been entered into evidence.

Prosecutors called no eyewitnesses and presented no DNA evidence at Syed's original trial in 2000. Prosecutors did present cell tower data from the night Lee was killed, saying it linked Syed to a general area where her body was found a month later. Brown argued in his motion that the state intentionally omitted a cover sheet from AT&T warning that such data is unreliable in determining a person's exact location.

The alibi witness is Asia McClain, a former classmate who said she spotted Syed at a library the day Lee was strangled. Last year, McClain filed an affidavit saying that she'd be willing to testify on Syed's behalf. McClain said that she contacted Syed in jail while he was awaiting trial, and Syed told his attorney at the time, Cristina Gutierrez, to contact her. But the attorney, who was later disbarred in connection with other cases, never did.

Now, McClain will have a chance to tell her story. She is expected to testify during the hearing. The state, too, will have a chance to call witnesses.

McClain's testimony will likely reflect her affidavit and letters she sent to Syed in jail. In one letter, dated May 1, 1999, McClain wrote, "I'm not sure if you remember talking to me in the library on Jan. 13 but I remembered chatting with you." She adds, "I have reason to believe in your innocence."

McClain wrote that she contacted the library, which is next to their high school campus, and that they had a surveillance system. McClain also told Syed that she was trying to reach his attorney.

"If you were in the library for a while, tell the police and I'll continue to tell what I know even louder than I am," she wrote. "My boyfriend and his best friend remember seeing you there too."

The Maryland attorney general's office, which is handling the case for the state, opposed Syed's request for a new trial. In a September filing opposing Brown's motion, Deputy Attorney General Thiruvendran Vignarajah wrote that it's "preposterous" to suggest that Syed received inadequate counsel.

A motion filed Tuesday shows that prosecutors intend to call the original lead prosecutor in Syed's case, Kevin Urick, as well as other members of the prosecution team. An FBI agent who specializes in cell tower data is also on the state's potential witness list, as is William Martin, an expert in criminal defence practices.



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • CBC News takes home 4 awards from Canadian Association of Journalists

    Entertainment CBC News
    CBC News has been recognized for its investigative work and strong storytelling with four awards from the Canadian Association of Journalists annual banquet on Saturday. Recipients included senior correspondent Adrienne Arsenault and producer Nazim Baksh for The Extremes, which looks at why Belgium was a target for a terrorist attack. Source
  • Box office: 'Furious' passes $1B, 'Latin Lover' surprises

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK -- "The Fate of the Furious" throttled past $1 billion globally and took No. 1 at the box office for the third straight week on a weekend where multicultural offerings dominated North American theatres. Source
  • Iranian filmmaker jailed for his work released early

    Entertainment CBC News
    An award-winning Iranian filmmaker imprisoned over his work has been released after serving about five months of his year-long sentence, though he doesn't know whether he'll make movies again in the Islamic Republic. Keywan Karimi told The Associated Press on Sunday that he credited international pressure for his early release, as well as escaping the 223 lashes that were part of his sentence. Source
  • Maroon 5, Usher, Alabama Shakes headline Jazz Fest Day 2

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW ORLEANS -- Performances by Maroon 5, the Alabama Shakes, and Usher & The Roots brought crowd-pleasing rock, blues and R&B to the second day of the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival, while jazz clarinetist Pete Fountain earned a special place in the event's history. Source
  • Coppola and 'Godfather' cast reunite at Tribeca Film Fest

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK -- Debilitating studio battles. One miraculously still cat. Mooning contests between James Caan and Marlon Brando. These were the memories shared, 45 years later, on the making of "The Godfather" in a rare reunion of the film's cast and director Francis Ford Coppola at Radio City Music Hall. Source
  • Despite presidential snub, Trump jokes front and centre at White House press dinners

    Entertainment CBC News
    Without U.S. President Donald Trump, who scheduled a rally instead to mark his 100th day in office, the usually celebrity-filled soiree hosted by the White House Correspondents' Association took a more sober turn, even as it pulled in top journalists and Washington insiders. Source
  • Chaos-hit luxury festival promises to come back next year

    Entertainment CTV News
    The Fyre Festival was abruptly aborted Friday after hundreds of party-goers -- who had paid for tickets costing up to $12,000 and VIP packages that rose to $250,000 -- arrived only to be welcomed by relief-camp style tents and rudimentary sandwiches rather than the promised lavish experience. Source
  • The Handmaid’s Tale, Sense8, American Gods and Second Wives Club top this week’s TV must-sees

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    The Handmaid’s Tale Canadian premiere The series is based on the 1985 novel of the same name by iconic Canadian treasure Margaret Atwood and it was filmed in Toronto so it’s only right that Canada finally gets a chance to watch the thrilling new dystopian series. Source
  • More than a hashtag: Making diverse, inclusive theatre the norm

    Entertainment CBC News
    Personal stories of race, gender and sexuality shared in a Caribbean hair stylist's chair. A glimpse into a convenience store and an Asian-Canadian family's struggles. A thoroughly remixed Hamlet delivered in English and American Sign Language. Source
  • Fyre Festival fiasco lives, dies on social media

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    In this day and age, the young and beautiful live and die on social media. And it’s been a sudden and ugly death for the ill-fated Fyre Festival, a multiday music, art and culture party that promised “an invitation to let loose and unplug with the likeminded” on the Bahamian island of Exuma. Source