Judge could rule on Bill Cosby's bid to throw out sex assault charges

NORRISTOWN, Pa. - A suburban Philadelphia judge hopes to decide whether to dismiss a sexual assault case against actor Bill Cosby over an unwritten promise of immunity a former prosecutor says he gave Cosby's now-deceased lawyer a decade ago.

See Full Article

Judge Steven T. O'Neill puzzled over the testimony of former Montgomery County District Attorney Bruce Castor on Tuesday and peppered him with questions as Castor wrapped up hours of testimony for the defence. The proceedings resume Wednesday morning.

Cosby, 78, was arrested and charged in December with drugging and violating former Temple University athletic department employee Andrea Constand at his suburban Philadelphia mansion in 2004. He could get up to 10 years in prison if convicted.

Castor said he found serious flaws in the case in 2005 and declined to bring charges. He said he steered the matter to civil court so Constand could become "a millionaire." But he also maligned her credibility throughout the day and questioned whether she and her mother set out to extort Cosby.

"If there was an agreement, why didn't you make that agreement in writing?" the judge asked Castor.

"It was unnecessary because I concluded there was no way the case would get any better," he said.

Castor said if Cosby's then-attorney, Walter Phillips, and other defence attorneys "wanted more than that to protect themselves, it was up to them to provide it."

He said that he made the decision not to bring charges as a representative of the state - as "the sovereign," as he put it, over and over - and that it would last in perpetuity.

"For all time, yes," Castor said when pressed.

He said he had his top assistant, Risa Vetri Ferman, who later succeeded him and is now a county judge, tell Phillips that Cosby would not be charged. However, Castor said the two lawyers did not have "an agreement" that Cosby would testify in exchange for not being prosecuted.

Phillips died last year.

Castor suggested that Cosby and Phillips had the same understanding, because Cosby later agreed to testify without invoking his Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination in a lawsuit brought against him by Constand.

"Cosby would've had to have been nuts to say those things if there was any chance he could've been prosecuted," Castor said, referring to the damaging testimony from a deposition unsealed last summer.

The former DA said he "wanted there to be some measure of justice" for Constand. "I thought making Mr. Cosby pay money was the best I was going to be able to set the stage for."

He added: "I was hopeful that I had made Ms. Constand a millionaire."

Kevin Steele, the newly elected district attorney who is pursuing the case, has said Cosby would need an immunity agreement in writing to get the case thrown out. He said he has no evidence one exists.

In a barrage of allegations that have destroyed Cosby's image as America's Dad, dozens of women have accused the former TV star of drugging and sexually assaulting them since the 1960s. But this is the only case in which he has been charged.

The unsealing of the testimony from Constand's lawsuit prompted Castor's successors to reopen the case and ultimately charge Cosby.

Cosby admitted in the deposition that he had affairs with young models and actresses, that he obtained quaaludes to give to women he wanted to have sex with and that he gave Constand three pills at his home. He said he reached into her pants but insisted it was consensual.

Castor defended his decision not to bring charges, testifying that he saw Constand's year-long delay in reporting the allegations, inconsistencies in her statements and her contact with a lawyer before going to police as problematic.

Castor said Constand's delay was of "enormous significance" in his consideration of the case. He said it thwarted his ability to test her hair or fingernails for evidence she was drugged.

Still, Castor said, he investigated the case thoroughly because he wanted to show authorities in Constand's native Canada that celebrities don't get preferential treatment in America.

-----

Associated Press writers Michael R. Sisak and Errin Haines Whack contributed to this report.



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • Rocker Tommy Lee joins 'mile high club' while on vacation

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    RADAR ONLINE First posted: Sunday, August 20, 2017 12:02 PM EDT | Updated: Sunday, August 20, 2017 12:09 PM EDT Source
  • Princes William and Harry rumoured to make cameo in next chapter of Star Wars

    Entertainment CTV News
    Star Wars’ Stormtroopers could be in for the royal treatment in the latest installment of the sci-fi saga, as Princes William and Harry might be making a secret cameo appearance in the film. In an interview with BBC Radio 4, Star Wars: The Last Jedi star John Boyega dropped a few hints about the royals’ rumoured appearance. Source
  • Madonna shares rare family picture on her birthday

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Madonna celebrated turning 59 with a big party with her six kids joining in the fun. The Queen Of Pop shared a cute image via Instagram of her children on Friday after her big bash. The original Material Girl posted the family shot with sons Rocco and David along with daughters Mercy, Lourdes, plus Stella and Esther also. Source
  • French designer in dispute over Pitt-Jolie chateau

    Entertainment CBC News
    A French lighting designer has won a $600,000 US court ruling in a dispute with Brad Pitt over a grandiose re-design of the chateau in Provence that he and Angelina Jolie shared. But designer Odile Soudant isn't stopping there. Source
  • French designer in costly dispute over Pitt-Jolie chateau

    Entertainment CTV News
    FILE - This May 31, 2008 file photo, shows the Miraval property in Correns, near Brignoles, southern France, Saturday, May 31, 2008. (AP Photo/Lionel Cironneau, File) Source
  • Comedian, civil rights activist Dick Gregory dies at 84

    Entertainment CTV News
    LOS ANGELES -- Dick Gregory, the comedian and activist and who broke racial barriers in the 1960s and used his humor to spread messages of social justice and nutritional health, has died. He was 84. Source
  • The Sinner, The Tick, Dice and a Jersey Shore reunion top this week’s TV must-sees

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    The Sinner Series Premiere Jessica Biel is out of control in the new eight-episode crime thriller based on the international bestselling novel by Petra Hammesfahr. She plays a young mother who lashes out in a fit of rage and commits an unforgiveable crime in the brand-new series. Source
  • Killing Nazis, fighting religious fanaticism the focus of upcoming video games

    Entertainment CBC News
    As the U.S. grapples with white nationalists rallying in the streets and the violence that followed the protests in Charlottesville, Va., a couple of soon-to-be-released video games are feeling disturbingly timely for some gamers. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus, created by the Swedish-based Machine Games, is the hotly anticipated latest instalment in the widely popular series that lets gamers annihilate Nazis — which the game's website calls "everybody's favourite pastime. Source
  • Trailblazing comedian Dick Gregory dead at 84

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Dick Gregory, who broke racial barriers in the 1960s and used his humor to spread messages of social justice and nutritional health, has died. He was 84. Gregory's son, Christian, told The Associated Press his father died late Saturday in Washington, D.C. Source
  • Penn Jillette apologizes for saying being from Newfoundland 'a euphamism for stupid'

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    LOS ANGELES — Celebrity magician Penn Jillette has apologized after Newfoundlanders took him to task for insulting their intelligence on a talk show. Jillette, half of the comedic magic duo “Penn & Teller,” said his family likely comes from Newfoundland, which he described as being a “euphemism for stupid”. Source