Bill Cosby's lawyers push to get sexual assault case thrown out

NORRISTOWN, Pa. -- Bill Cosby and his lawyers went to court Tuesday to try to get the sexual assault case against him thrown out because of what they say was a binding commitment by a previous district attorney not to prosecute him a decade ago.

See Full Article

The current district attorney has said he has no record of such an agreement.

Cosby, 78, arrived for the hearing in a black SUV just before 9 a.m., dressed in a tan suit and tie. Two men held his arms for support as he walked up a ramp to the Montgomery County Courthouse, and one carried Cosby's cane. The comedian chatted with his handlers while ignoring reporters' questions.

Cosby is accused of drugging and violating former Temple University athletics employee Andrea Constand at his suburban Philadelphia mansion in 2004.

In a barrage of allegations that have destroyed Cosby's image as America's Dad, dozens of women have accused the former TV star of drugging and sexually assaulting them since the 1960s. But this is the only case in which he has been charged.

Cosby's lawyers contend that he had a deal with then-District Attorney Bruce L. Castor Jr. in 2005 that he wouldn't be prosecuted and that he could testify freely in Constand's civil lawsuit. Castor said at the time that there was insufficient evidence to charge Cosby.

Damaging testimony from that lawsuit was released last summer, prompting Castor's successors to reopen the case and ultimately charge Cosby. He could get 10 years in prison if convicted.

Cosby admitted in the deposition that he had affairs with young models and actresses, that he obtained quaaludes to give to women he wanted to have sex with and that he gave Constand three pills at his home. He said he reached into her pants in what he insisted was consensual contact.

In an unusual twist, Castor was called to the stand at Tuesday's hearing. Castor has insisted that he worked out an oral "non-prosecution" agreement in 2005 with Walter M. Phillips Jr., a Cosby lawyer who died last year.

Castor was not immediately asked about such an agreement Tuesday. But he defended his decision not to bring charges, testifying that he saw Constand's year-long delay in reporting the allegations, inconsistencies in her statements and her contact with a lawyer before going to police as red flags.

Castor said Constand's delay in going to authorities was of "enormous significance" in his consideration of the case. He said it thwarted his ability to test her hair or fingernails for evidence she was drugged.

Still, Castor said, he investigated the case thoroughly because he wanted to show authorities in Constand's native Canada that celebrities don't get preferential treatment in America.

Kevin Steele, the newly elected DA who is pursuing the case, has said Cosby would need an immunity agreement in writing to get the case thrown out. He has said he has no evidence one exists.

Anne Poulin, a law professor at Villanova University, said the defence has a high bar to meet to get the case thrown out early on. But "if they can win without this ever going to trial, then they've done their client a big service."

It was not immediately clear when Common Pleas Judge Steven T. O'Neill would rule.



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • Alec Baldwin 'stunned' at popularity of Trump impression

    Entertainment CTV News
    In this photo provided by NBC, Alec Baldwin, left, as Republican presidential candidate, Donald Trump, and Kate McKinnon, as Democratic presidential candidate, Hillary Clinton, perform during the 'Debate Cold Open' sketch on the 42nd season of 'Saturday Night Live,' in New York, Saturday, Oct. Source
  • World Video Game Hall of Fame names 2017 finalists

    Entertainment CTV News
    ROCHESTER, N.Y. -- The World Video Game Hall of Fame's 2017 finalists span decades and electronic platforms, from the 1981 arcade classic "Donkey Kong" that launched Mario's plumbing career to the 2006 living room hit "Wii Sports," that made gamers out of grandparents. Source
  • Will Smith briefly reunites with Fresh Prince castmates

    Entertainment CBC News
    Will Smith has reunited with his Fresh Prince of Bel Air castmates. Alfonso Ribeiro, who played Smith's Tom Jones-loving cousin Carlton on the 1990s sitcom, posted a picture on Instagram on Monday of the cast getting together. Source
  • Smurfette is shunned in Israeli ultra-Orthodox city

    Entertainment CTV News
    BNEI BRAK, Israel -- Israel's pious ultra-Orthodox Jewish community has long chafed at public displays of women, whether the images are of female public figures or ordinary women. Now even animated characters appear to be a no-go. Source
  • New ’Spider-Man,’ ’Blade Runner’ footage kicks off CinemaCon [Video]

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    LAS VEGAS — Iron Man just put Spider-Man in time out. Sony Pictures on Monday unveiled the second trailer for “Spider-Man: Homecoming” at CinemaCon, featuring Tom Holland, the newly anointed web-slinger, being put in his place by Robert Downey Jr. Source
  • From loon calls to streetcar squeaks, CanadaSound aims to make library of Canadian noises

    Entertainment CBC News
    The roar of a snowblower. An orca's breath underwater. Bed sheets on a laundry line, snapping in the Newfoundland wind. A new project is hoping to round up Canadian noises like these to make a soundscape of the country. Source
  • 'True Detective' Season 3 in the works: report

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    HBO executives are reportedly working on a third season of True Detective. The first season of the crime drama series was directed by Cary Fukunaga and starred Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson as Louisiana detectives, and drew in generally positive reviews and high ratings after premiering in January, 2014. Source
  • Sia shows her face on 'Sesame Street'

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Sia brushed back her hair and let young fans see her face during a recent appearance on kids show Sesame Street. The Australian singer is famous for hiding behind wigs when she performs, but she opted for a black and white accessory that framed her face as she taught young viewers about the letter ‘S’ during a taped appearance on Sesame Street. Source
  • 'Fresh Prince of Bel Air' cast reunite

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Will Smith enjoyed a reunion with his former The Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air co-stars recently. Alfonso Ribeiro, who played Carlton Banks on the beloved show, which ran from 1990 to 1995, shared a picture on Instagram on Monday which showed him posing for a photograph with Will, Tatyana Ali and Karyn Parsons, who played sisters Ashley and Hilary, and Daphne Maxwell Reid, who played Banks matriarch Vivian - after the original Aunt Viv Janet Hubert left the show - and Joseph Marcell, who portrayed…
  • Expanded audiobook of 'The Handmaid's Tale' coming next week

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK - Margaret Atwood hasn't quite finished telling "The Handmaid's Tale." The Canadian author has provided additional material for an audio edition coming out next week exclusively from audio producer and distributor Audible.com. Source