Bill Cosby arrives in court as lawyers push to get charge dropped

NORRISTOWN, Pa. -- Bill Cosby arrived Tuesday at the courthouse where his lawyers will ask a judge to throw out the only criminal case lodged against him from the dozens of accusations that he molested women.

See Full Article

Cosby emerged from a black SUV just before 9 a.m., dressed in a tan suit and tie. Two men held his arms for support as he walked up a ramp to the Montgomery County Courthouse, and one carried Cosby's cane. He chatted with his handlers while ignoring reporters' questions.

The defence will argue that Cosby had a deal with a suburban Philadelphia prosecutor in 2005 that he wouldn't be prosecuted and should testify freely in accuser Andrea Constand's lawsuit.

That testimony, released only last year, prompted the successors of former Montgomery County District Attorney Bruce L. Castor Jr. to reopen the case and ultimately charge the 78-year-old Cosby with felony sexual assault. Cosby has not yet entered a plea.

Cosby admitted in the deposition that he had a series of affairs with young models and actresses, obtained quaaludes to give women before sex and gave Constand three pills before a January 2004 encounter at his home. He called it consensual, but she said she was drugged and violated.

In an unusual twist, Castor is slated to be the defence's key witness Tuesday. Castor insists that he forged an oral "non-prosecution" agreement in 2005 with Walter M. Phillips Jr., a Cosby lawyer who died last year.

It's not clear if anyone can corroborate Castor's account. However, Temple University board chairman Patrick O'Connor represented Cosby at the deposition. He still represents Cosby in some civil matters.

Anne Poulin, a law professor at Villanova University, said those involved in the case probably would want to hear from O'Connor "on the theory that, certainly as the lawyer representing Cosby in the civil case, he therefore needed to know what (Cosby's) exposure was to criminal prosecution before he was deposed."

Poulin believes the defence has a high bar to meet to get the case thrown out early on. At the same time, she said, "if they can win without this ever going to trial, then they've done their client a big service."

Kevin Steele, the new county district attorney, believes Cosby needed an immunity agreement -- in writing -- to avoid prosecution. He has said he has no evidence that one exists.

The lawyer who served as Castor's top assistant in 2005 could also be called to testify.

Risa Vetri Ferman, now a county judge, worked on the Constand case before succeeding Castor as district attorney in 2008. She reopened the complaint last fall, asking Castor to submit any documentation of the supposed deal.

Castor pointed to a 2005 press release about his decision not to prosecute Cosby.

Steele defeated Castor in the November election to succeed Ferman. He believes that Cosby needs a written immunity deal to get the case thrown out.

It's not immediately clear when Common Pleas Judge Steven T. O'Neill will rule.

The Associated Press generally does not identify people who say they have been sexually assaulted unless they agree to have their names published, as Constand has done.



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • A musical resurgence has Hollywood changing its tune

    Entertainment CTV News
    Hollywood is falling back in love with the movie musical, seduced by the success of Oscar winner "La La Land" and buoyed by a wave of live-action Disney adaptations. In a Tinseltown landscape largely dominated by superheroes, 2017 still saw "La La Land," "The Greatest Showman" and "Beauty and the Beast" pull in more than $2.1 billion at the global box office. Source
  • Police: Stalker broke into Taylor Swift's NYC home and took a nap

    Entertainment CBC News
    Police say a stalker broke into Taylor Swift's New York City townhouse and took a nap. Police say officers investigating a reported break-in Friday found 22-year-old Roger Alvarado asleep in the pop star's home in the Tribeca neighborhood. Source
  • Stalker broke into Taylor Swift's NYC home and took a nap: police

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK -- Police say a stalker broke into Taylor Swift's New York City townhouse and took a nap. Police say officers investigating a reported break-in Friday found 22-year-old Roger Alvarado asleep in the pop star's home in the Tribeca neighbourhood. Source
  • 'Smallville' actress pleads not guilty in sex trafficking 'guru to stars' case

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK -- A television actress best known for playing a young Superman's close friend pleaded not guilty Friday to sex trafficking after federal prosecutors said she worked as a slave "master" recruiting unsuspecting women to a cult-like group led by a man who sold himself as a self-improvement guru to the stars. Source
  • Smallville actress charged with sex trafficking offence relating to NXIVM group accused of branding women

    Entertainment CBC News
    Federal prosecutors say a television actress best known for playing a young Superman's close friend has been charged with sex trafficking for helping recruit women to be slaves of a man who sold himself as a self-improvement guru. Source
  • Loreena McKennitt is deleting Facebook

    Entertainment CTV News
    TORONTO -- Singer Loreena McKennitt says she's shutting down her Facebook profile over concerns for her fans' privacy. The Manitoba-born performer, known for her 1997 hit "The Mummers' Dance," told her 547,000 Facebook followers that she will close the fan page on June 1. Source
  • Springsteen 'Born to Run' manuscript heads to summer auction

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK -- Bruce Springsteen's songwriting scrawl is born to make bucks. Sotheby's said Friday that it will auction a handwritten working manuscript of "Born to Run" in June. The presale estimate for the single sheet of notebook paper with 30 lines of writing is $200,000 to $300,000. Source
  • Producer and DJ known as Avicii has been found dead

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK -- The Swedish-born producer and DJ known as Avicii has been found dead in Oman. Publicist Diana Baron said in a statement that the 28-year-old DJ, born Tim Bergling, was in Muscat, Oman. Source
  • Avicii, DJ and EDM producer, found dead at 28

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK -- The Swedish-born producer and DJ known as Avicii has been found dead in Oman. Publicist Diana Baron said in a statement that the 28-year-old DJ, born Tim Bergling, was in Muscat, Oman. Source
  • Avicii, EDM producer and DJ, dead at 28

    Entertainment CBC News
    The Swedish-born producer and DJ known as Avicii has been found dead in Oman. Publicist Diana Baron said in a statement that the 28-year-old, who was born Tim Bergling, was in Muscat, Oman. "The family is devastated and we ask everyone to please respect their need for privacy in this difficult time," the statement said. Source