Cosby due in court as lawyers push to have charges dropped

PHILADELPHIA - Bill Cosby's lawyers will ask a judge to throw out the only criminal case lodged against the TV star from the dozens of accusations that he molested women.

See Full Article

The defence will argue that Cosby had a deal with a suburban Philadelphia prosecutor in 2005 that he wouldn't be prosecuted and should testify freely in accuser Andrea Constand's civil lawsuit.

That testimony, released only last year, prompted Castor's successors to reopen the case and ultimately charge the 78-year-old Cosby with felony sexual assault. Cosby has not yet entered a plea.

Cosby admitted in the deposition that he had a series of affairs with young models and actresses; had obtained quaaludes to give women before sex; and gave accuser Andrea Constand three pills before a January 2004 encounter at his home. He called it consensual but she said she was drugged and violated.

In an unusual twist, former Montgomery County District Attorney Bruce L. Castor Jr. is slated to be the defence's key witness on Tuesday. Castor insists that he forged an oral "non-prosecution" agreement in 2005 with Walter M. Phillips Jr., a Cosby lawyer who died last year.

It's not clear if anyone can corroborate Castor's account. However, Temple University board chairman Patrick O'Connor represented Cosby at the deposition. He still represents Cosby in some civil matters.

Anne Poulin, a law professor at Villanova University, said those involved in the case probably would want to hear from O'Connor "on the theory that, certainly as the lawyer representing Cosby in the civil case, he therefore needed to know what (Cosby's) exposure was to criminal prosecution before he was deposed."

Poulin believes the defence has a high bar to meet to get the case thrown out early on. At the same time, she said, "if they can win without this ever going to trial, then they've done their client a big service."

Kevin Steele, the new county district attorney, believes Cosby needed an immunity agreement - in writing - to avoid prosecution. He has said he has no evidence that one exists.

"I never made a deal that involved criminal cases that was not in writing," Lynne Abraham, a longtime judge and district attorney in Philadelphia, said Monday. "This is, to me, is an extremely unusual arrangement because the prosecutor, Bruce, has made a deal not involving a criminal case, but a civil matter."

The lawyer who served as Castor's top assistant in 2005 could also be called to testify.

Risa Vetri Ferman, now a county judge, worked on the Constand case before succeeding Castor as district attorney in 2008. She reopened the complaint last fall, asking Castor to submit any documentation of the supposed deal.

Castor pointed to a 2005 press release about his decision not to prosecute Cosby.

Steele defeated Castor in the November election to succeed Ferman. He believes that Cosby needs a written immunity deal to get the case thrown out.

It's not immediately clear when Common Pleas Judge Steven T. O'Neill will rule.

The Associated Press generally does not identify people who say they have been sexually assaulted unless they agree to have their names published, as Constand has done.



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • Burt Reynolds makes rare public appearance at Tribeca

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK -- Robert De Niro helped Burt Reynolds onto the red carpet for the Tribeca Film Festival premiere of his new movie "Dog Years" Saturday night in New York. It was a rare appearance for the 81-year old actor, who at times struggled to walk. Source
  • Mike Myers had to rewrite 'Wayne's World 2' at the last minute

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Funnyman Mike Myers had to rewrite the script for Wayne’s World 2 after movie boss Sherry Lansing realized he had based the whole plot on a 1949 British comedy. In an extract from Stephen Galloway’s new Lansing biopic, Leading Lady, obtained by The Hollywood Reporter, the writer reveals the then-Paramount chief was furious to learn the sequel was a rip-off of Ealing comedy Passport to Pimlico and laid into Myers. Source
  • Channing Tatum: 'I don’t miss anything about stripping'

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Channing Tatum misses nothing about his stripper past. The 36-year-old drew on his past life as an exotic dancer for the Magic Mike movies, with his saucy former professional also used as inspiration for the live strip show revue in Las Vegas. Source
  • Canadian investors looking to LA, where celeb home prices rival inner-city Toronto's

    Entertainment CBC News
    As if housing market prices in Toronto aren't discouraging enough, it hurts even more knowing a celebrity pad in Los Angeles can be comparable in price to some homes in the downtown core. A Hollywood Hills house owned by Oscar-winning Dallas Buyers Club actor Jared Leto, for example, is currently listed for sale at $1.9 million US. Source
  • 'Fate of the Furious' still outpacing the competition at box office [Video]

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    LOS ANGELES — The Fate of the Furious sped into first place at the box office again, leaving new thriller Unforgettable and historical drama The Promise in the dust. Universal Pictures’ eighth instalment in The Fast and the Furious franchise earned US$38.7 million over the weekend, down 61% from its debut, according to studio estimates Sunday. Source
  • Caitlyn Jenner 'distant' from some of her children post-transition

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Caitlyn Jenner doesn’t speak to some of her children after her transition from man to woman. The 67-year-old former Olympian opened up about her life in the years that followed her shock Vanity Fair cover in 2015, where she finally revealed had left her former identity of Bruce behind, and was living as Caitlyn. Source
  • Margot Robbie to play Queen Elizabeth I

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Margot Robbie is set to join the royal list of actresses who have portrayed Queen Elizabeth I onscreen. The Suicide Squad star has officially signed on to join the cast of Mary Queen of Scots, opposite Irish actress Saoirse Ronan, who will portray Mary Stuart. Source
  • Mel B's first husband fears for their daughter

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Melanie Brown’s first husband Jimmy Gulzar insists his ex-wife has failed to keep their daughter Phoenix Chi out of danger. The Dutch-born dancer was married to the former Spice Girl from 1998-2000 and their child is now 18. Source
  • Rosario Dawson wants in on Star Wars

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Actress Rosario Dawson is calling on more fans to help make her Star Wars dreams come true by backing an online campaign to land her a role in a future project. The Sin City star has become a major fixture in the Marvel comics TV adaptations as medic Claire Temple in Daredevil, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, and Iron Fist but she would love to expand her role with the productions’ parent company Disney and step into one of the planned Star Wars movies. Source
  • Burt Reynolds makes rare public appearance at Tribeca film festival

    Entertainment CBC News
    Robert De Niro helped Burt Reynolds onto the red carpet for the Tribeca Film Festival premiere of Reynold's new movie Dog Years Saturday night in New York. It was a rare appearance for the 81-year old actor, who at times struggled to walk. Source