'Kung Fu Panda 3' tops box office, 'Finest Hours' flounders

LOS ANGELES -- "Kung Fu Panda 3" kicked its way to the top of the North American box office with a respectable $41 million, according to Rentrak estimates Sunday.

See Full Article

The DreamWorks Animation film cost a reported $145 million to make and earned a strong "A" CinemaScore from audiences -- 70 per cent of whom were families.

"It's a bold move to take a franchise which has had great success in that summer corridor and move it into late January, which is generally considered a very slow time," Rentrak's senior media analyst Paul Dergarabedian said. "It also filled a huge void in the marketplace."

The first film opened to $60.2 million in 2008 and the second to $47.7 million in 2011.

For Fox, switching up the release was a no-brainer after seeing the successes of "The Lego Movie" and last year's "The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water" in this time frame.

"We know that when the market conditions are right, this business really is a 365-day-a-year business," said Chris Aronson, Fox's domestic distribution chief. "We saw an opportunity and we grabbed it. We're thrilled with the results."

There are a number of winter holidays coming up where kids will be out of school and "Zootopia," 2016's next big animated release, doesn't open until March 4.

The animated sequel also fared much better than the weekend's other new openers, like Disney's Coast Guard adventure "The Finest Hours," which debuted in fourth place with $10.3 million.

Based on a real life 1952 rescue mission, "The Finest Hours" stars Chris Pine, Casey Affleck and Ben Foster and cost around $80 million to make.

Dergarabedian thinks that the nautical theme might have seemed too similar to the recently released "In the Heart of the Sea" for audiences.

The opening is similar to last year's "McFarland, USA," another fact-based drama from Disney, which opened with $11 million in late February and went on to earn $44.4 million.

The "Fifty Shades of Grey" parody "Fifty Shades of Black," meanwhile, earned a modest $6.2 million, but it only cost a reported $5 million to produce. Marlon Wayans co-wrote, stars in and produced the R-rated takeoff.

"Spoof movies and parodies have a very mixed box office record," said Dergarabedian. "The reviews are never good on these movies. You have to really hope you're riding a wave of the popularity of the movie you're spoofing."

"Fifty Shades of Grey" was released last February and its sequel isn't expected until next year.

The Weinstein Company's Natalie Portman-led Western "Jane Got a Gun" misfired out of the gates, bringing in only $803,000 on a $25 million budget.

Overall, there wasn't much space for newcomers with strong holdovers like "The Revenant" and "Star Wars: The Force Awakens," which took second and third place with $12.4 million and $10.8 million, respectively. Both fell only 23 per cent from last weekend.

Notably, Fox's "The Revenant," once considered a possible box office disaster with its gritty subject matter and reported $135 million budget, has earned $138.2 million to date in six weeks in theatres thanks in part to its awards hot streak with multiple wins for star Leonardo DiCaprio and a host of high profile Oscar nominations.

"It's a marvelous thing for us, for the industry, for filmmaking in general. To have a hold like this is really heartening," Aronson said. "This is a pretty good weekend. There's a very balanced marketplace here. There's something for everyone out there now, and I've always said that's when this business is at its best."

Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at U.S. and Canadian theatres, according to Rentrak. Final domestic figures will be released Monday.

1. "Kung Fu Panda 3," $41 million.

2. "The Revenant," $12.4 million.

3. "Star Wars: The Force Awakens," $10.8 million.

4. "The Finest Hours," $10.3 million.

5. "Ride Along 2," $8.3 million.

6. "The Boy," $7.9 million.

7. "Dirty Grandpa," $7.6 million.

8. "The 5th Wave," $7 million.

9. "Fifty Shades of Black," $6.2 million.

10. "13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi," $6 million.



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • Dustin Hoffman accused of new incidents of sexual misconduct

    Entertainment CBC News
    More women are accusing Dustin Hoffman of sexual misconduct, including an incident in which a playwright says the actor exposed himself to her in a New York hotel room when she was 16 years old. Playwright Cori Thomas described the 1980 incident in a story published Thursday by the trade outlet Variety. Source
  • Russell Simmons vows to defend himself following rape claims from 3 women

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK -- Music mogul Russell Simmons said on Instagram that he plans to defend himself a day after a New York Times story published claims by three women saying he raped them. The allegations in the Times' Wednesday report stem from the 1980s and 1990s. Source
  • 5 Disney-Fox crossovers we'd love to see

    Entertainment CBC News
    Sure, Disney buying the lion's share of 21st Century Fox represents an unprecedented and, for some, worrying consolidation of blockbuster brands under a single entity. The gloved hand of Mickey Mouse will soon hold everything from Avatar to The X-Files. Source
  • Cineplex tests $1 reserved seating surcharge at some Star Wars screenings

    Entertainment CTV News
    TORONTO -- Cineplex Inc. is giving Star Wars fans a surprise twist at the box office by charging an extra dollar for assigned seating at some showings. The country's biggest exhibitor has tacked on a surcharge at select regular screenings of "Star Wars: The Last Jedi" across Canada in hopes moviegoers will be willing to pay more for not waiting in line. Source
  • Tavis Smiley, suspended by PBS, vows to fight back

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK -- PBS has suspended radio and TV host Tavis Smiley after finding what it called "troubling allegations" of sexual misconduct, making him the second high-profile star to be ousted from a network known for its high-brow, genteel programming. Source
  • Walmart distances itself from talk show host Tavis Smiley

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK -- Retail giant Walmart distanced itself from Tavis Smiley on Thursday after an investigation prompted by PBS found "troubling allegations" of sexual misconduct by the radio and TV host. The move came a day after PBS said it was suspending Smiley following an independent investigation by a law firm which uncovered "multiple, credible allegations of conduct that is inconsistent with the values and standards of PBS. Source
  • Singer SZA is sizzling in music industry

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK -- Yes, SZA is easily in the running for best new act of 2017. But her uber-successful year really puts her in the running for female artist of the year: She's had multiple songs chart in the Top 40 in a year when male acts overwhelming dominated, and she's the most nominated woman at the upcoming Grammy Awards with five. Source
  • What stays, what goes: Disney and Murdoch after the sale

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK -- Disney is buying a large part of Fox , but Fox News Channel and other U.S. television businesses are staying with the Murdoch family. Here's a look at what the Disney and Murdoch empires will look like under The Walt Disney Co. Source
  • Spurlock on sexual harassment: 'I am part of the problem'

    Entertainment CTV News
    ATLANTA -- Declaring "I am part of the problem," documentarian Morgan Spurlock confessed in an online post to sexual harassment and infidelity, and said a woman accused him of rape in college. In the post, which he linked to from his verified Twitter account, Spurlock wrote that as he watches other influential men brought down by allegations of sexual misconduct, "I don't sit by and wonder 'who will be next?' I wonder, 'when will they come for Spurlock on sexual harassment: 'I am part of the…
  • 'I am part of the problem,' Morgan Spurlock says of sexual harassment

    Entertainment CBC News
    Declaring "I am part of the problem," documentarian Morgan Spurlock confessed in an online post to sexual harassment and infidelity, and said a woman accused him of rape in college. In the post, which he linked to from his verified Twitter account, Spurlock wrote that as he watches other influential men brought down by allegations of sexual misconduct, "I don't sit by and wonder 'who will be next?' I wonder, 'when will they come for me?'" Source