Suspect in British actress' death to return to U.K. from Ghana voluntarily

ACCRA, Ghana -- A suspect in the slayings of a British actress and her two young sons has told a Ghana court he will return to the U.K.

See Full Article

voluntarily, the court and his lawyer said Tuesday.

On the first day of an extradition hearing Tuesday, the head of Arthur Simpson-Kent's legal team, Justice Srem-Sai, said that his client has decided to return voluntarily and waived his right to challenge the proceedings. Simpson-Kent will remain in custody until a departure date is set, the lawyer said.

When Ghana High Court Judge Merley Wood asked if he had voluntarily made the decision, Simpson-Kent replied "yes," adding that he had not been coerced into the decision. He first appeared in court on Jan. 12.

State attorney Rebecca Adzalo had earlier informed the court they had received a 200-page extradition order against Simpson-Kent from the British High Commission through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Ghana police arrested the 48-year-old on Jan. 9 in the western coastal town of Butre.

He fled to Ghana after speaking to detectives in Britain on Dec. 16 following the killings of his partner, former "EastEnders" actress Sian Blake, and her sons 8-year-old Zachary and 4-year-old Amon.

Blake, 43, appeared in the long-running East-Ender's soap opera in 1996-1997.



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • Mel B storms off 'America's Got Talent' after Simon Cowell makes marriage joke [Video]

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Mel B stormed off the America’s Got Talent live show on Tuesday night, after Simon Cowell made an insensitive joke about her marriage. The former Spice Girls star is currently going through a messy divorce with husband Stephen Belafonte. Source
  • Jerry Seinfeld to revisit old jokes for Netflix special

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Comedian Jerry Seinfeld is returning to the beginning of his career to revamp one of his old routines for an upcoming Netflix special. The Jerry Before Seinfeld show will feature the beloved stand-up telling jokes he wrote in 1975 at New York City’s Comic Strip and unseen footage from home videos when he was a kid. Source
  • The Joker origin movie in the works

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    The Hangover director is developing a new movie about the early years of Batman’s nemesis The Joker. Todd Phillips is in talks to co-write and direct an origin film for the DC Comics villain, which, according to Deadline, will not feature Jared Leto, who played the maniacal bad guy in last year’s Suicide Squad, and will reprise the role in the film’s sequel. Source
  • Mel B dumps water on Simon Cowell over jibe about her marriage on 'America's Got Talent'

    Entertainment CTV News
    In this Tuesday, Aug. 22, 2017 photo provided by NBC, judges Howie Mandel, Mel B, Heidi Klum and Simon Cowell participate in a live broadcast of 'America's Got Talent' in Los Angeles. Mel B threw a cup of water on Cowell and walked off the stage after Cowell made a joke about her wedding night during the show. Source
  • Clinton: My 'skin crawled' as Trump hovered on debate stage

    Entertainment CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- Hillary Clinton says Donald Trump's pacing, hovering demeanour onstage during an October 2016 presidential debate made her so uncomfortable "my skin crawled." She says in her upcoming book that Trump shadowed her so closely she had to resist shouting out, "Back up you creep, get away from me. Source
  • Marines fitness instructor puts Kate Upton through her paces

    Entertainment CTV News
    DETROIT -- The U.S. Marines put supermodel Kate Upton through her paces on Tuesday during a workout in Detroit to promote the upcoming Marine Week celebration in the city. Upton struggled a bit at the end, but was able to complete the training routine that involved a series of aerobic exercises and running as her fiance, Detroit Tigers pitcher Justin Verlander, watched from afar. Source
  • 'Straight Outta Compton' star R. Marcos Taylor charged with assault

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Straight Outta Compton actor R. Marcos Taylor has been charged with four counts of assault after an incident at a New Jersey restaurant. Taylor, who played notorious record label boss Suge Knight in the 2015 film telling the story of rap group N.W.A. Source
  • Robert Downey Jr. hints Gwyneth Paltrow return in 'Avengers 4'

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Robert Downey Jr. has dropped a major hint that Gwyneth Paltrow will appear in Avengers 4. The actor and took to Instagram on Tuesday to share a snap of him posing with Paltrow and Jon Favreau, whom he stared alongside in 2008’s Iron Man and its sequels. Source
  • Prominent Russian theatre director put under house arrest

    Entertainment CTV News
    MOSCOW -- A court in Moscow has put a widely revered Russian theatre director under house arrest on charges of embezzling $1.1 million, which he has denied. Kirill Serebrennikov, 47, was detained Tuesday in St. Source
  • Monumental Quebec author, Rejean Ducharme, dead at 76

    Entertainment CTV News
    MONTREAL -- Rejean Ducharme, a well-known Quebec author and playwright credited with influencing the province's culture during the Quiet Revolution with his famous debut novel, "The Swallower Swallowed," has died at the age of 76. Source