Oscar-nominee says 'racist to white people' comment was misinterpreted

LONDON -- Academy Award-nominated actress Charlotte Rampling said her comments that an Oscars' boycott is "racist to white people" were misinterpreted.

See Full Article

In a statement to CBS News' "Sunday Morning" on Friday, Rampling said she wished every performance was given equal opportunity for consideration.

All this year's acting nominees are white. Rampling, 69, previously told France's Europe 1 radio Friday that, while it's impossible to know for sure, "maybe the black actors didn't deserve to be in the final stretch." She told "Sunday Morning" that "I regret that my comments could have been misinterpreted."

Asked if there should be quotas -- not a suggestion made by most boycott supporters -- Rampling said we live "in countries nowadays where everyone is more or less accepted," but there would always be problems with people being judged "not handsome enough," "too black" or "too white."

Speaking in French, she asked if the goal was to classify everybody and have "thousands of little minorities everywhere."

Rampling, who has starred in both English and French films, is nominated for a best-actress Academy Award for Andrew Haigh's portrait of a marriage, "45 Years."

Veteran British actor Michael Caine, meanwhile, urged black actors to "be patient" and said recognition would come.

He told the BBC there are plenty of strong performances by non-white actors this year, including Idris Elba's "wonderful" work in "Beasts of No Nation" -- which did not receive an Oscar nomination.

"Be patient," said 82-year-old Caine, who has won two supporting-actor Oscars. "Of course it will come. It took me years to get an Oscar, years."

Chelsea Clinton -- daughter of former U.S. President Bill Clinton and Hillary Clinton -- took to social media to condemn Rampling's remarks. "Outrageous, ignorant & offensive comments from Rampling," she posted on her official Twitter page.



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • Antonio Banderas says he's recovered from a heart attack

    Entertainment CTV News
    MADRID -- Spanish film star Antonio Banderas says he has recovered from a heart attack that he had in January. The 56-year-old Banderas tells Spanish media that "I suffered a heart attack on Jan. Source
  • Keira Knightley thought 'Pirates' franchise would be a 'disaster'

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Director Richard Curtis has recalled how Keira Knightley once worried Pirates Of The Caribbean would be “a disaster”. In an op-ed for the Radio Times magazine on Friday, Curtis shared that the actress still wasn’t sold on the idea of the pirate franchise after she had finished working on his 2003 romantic comedy Love Actually. Source
  • One Direction's Liam Payne becomes a dad

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    One Direction star Liam Payne is a new dad following the birth of his first son. The singer and his girlfriend, former Girls Aloud star Cheryl Cole, have confirmed the happy news about the baby boy, who arrived on Wednesday. Source
  • Woody done with weed

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Is what Woody Harrelson said in a vulture.com interview true? Has the one true Prince of Pot (sorry, Mark Emery) given up smoking marijuana for more than a year and counting? “Who’s next? Willie Nelson? Snoop Dogg?” asks filmmaker Ron Mann. Source
  • 'Justice League' trailer suggests film will be lighter in tone than 'Batman v Superman'

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    The Justice League is coming together — literally — in the new trailer for the superhero film, which finds Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Cyborg and the Flash teaming up for the first time ever on the big screen. Source
  • 'I’m the schmuck who landed on the taxiway': Harrison Ford says he was distracted when he flew over plane

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    LOS ANGELES — Actor Harrison Ford said he was distracted and concerned about turbulence from another aircraft last month when he mistakenly landed on a taxiway at a Southern California airport after flying low over an airliner with 116 people aboard, according to an audio recording released Friday. Source
  • Mindy Kaling's Newark joke leads to dinner with U.S. politician Cory Booker

    Entertainment CBC News
    A joke about Newark, New Jersey, on The Mindy Project led to dinner plans between U.S. Sen. Cory Booker and star Mindy Kaling. Her character joked after hearing that Booker had come to her colleague's event that "I guess anything to get out of Newark, huh?" Source
  • Adam Sandler continues as Netflix's biggest star

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    NEW YORK — Netflix is doubling down on Adam Sandler. The streaming giant has extended its deal with the comedian for four more feature films. As part of a previous four-movie deal, Sandler has already produced and starred in two films for Netflix. Source
  • Public memorial service to honour Carrie Fisher, Debbie Reynolds

    Entertainment CBC News
    Stars and fans will gather Saturday for a public memorial to honour late actresses Debbie Reynolds and Carrie Fisher nearly three months after their deaths. The ceremony honouring the lives of the mother-daughter duo will be held at Forest Lawn-Hollywood Hills, the storied cemetery that is their final resting place. Source
  • Fans, friends remember Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds at public memorial

    Entertainment CBC News
    Stars and fans will gather Saturday for a public memorial to honour late actresses Debbie Reynolds and Carrie Fisher nearly three months after their deaths. The ceremony honouring the lives of the mother-daughter duo will be held at Forest Lawn-Hollywood Hills, the storied cemetery that is their final resting place. Source