Academy overhauls membership rules after Oscar boycott

Film academy president Cheryl Boone Isaacs says that despite the organization's internal efforts toward inclusion, a second year of all-white acting nominees made her think, "We need to step this up.

See Full Article

"

Isaacs announced Friday that the academy will double the number of female and minority members by 2020, and will immediately diversify its leadership by adding three new seats to its board of governors. The number of minorities currently serving as members of the academy has not been revealed.

"We all are aware that our membership is pretty closed, if you will," she said in an interview Friday with The Associated Press. "However, life has changed. Things have changed."

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences' 51-member board of governors unanimously approved a series of reforms late Thursday to "begin the process of significantly changing our membership composition," Isaacs said, following a weeklong storm of criticism and calls for an Oscar boycott because of the lack of diversity among nominees.

Several of Hollywood's most prominent African-Americans, including Will Smith and Spike Lee, have said they won't attend this year's Oscars, which is to be hosted by Chris Rock.

Other approved academy changes include limiting members' voting status to a period of 10 years, to be extended only if the individual remains active in film during that decade. Lifetime voting rights will be granted only to Academy Award nominees and winners, and to members after three ten-year voting terms. Previously, all active members received lifetime voting rights.

The organization also plans to diversify its leadership beyond the board of governors by adding new members to key decision-making committees, and further diversify its membership with a global campaign to identify and recruit diverse talent.

Reaction came swiftly. Ava DuVernay, director of last year's best picture-nominee "Selma," tweeted that the changes were "one good step in a long, complicated journey for people of colour and women artists." She added: "Shame is a helluva motivator."

"Marginalized artists have advocated for Academy change for DECADES," DuVernay wrote. "Actual campaigns. Calls voiced FROM THE STAGE. Deaf ears."

And director Rick Famuyiwa, whose films include "The Wood," "Brown Sugar" and last year's "Dope" commented: "The devil is in the details."



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • U.K. police say death of Dolores O'Riordan not suspicious

    Entertainment CTV News
    LONDON -- Police say they are not treating the death of Cranberries singer Dolores O'Riordan as suspicious. O'Riordan was found dead Monday morning at a London hotel. Police initially called the death "unexplained," but said Tuesday that nothing suspicious had been found. Source
  • Dolores O'Riordan found second home in Ontario, called herself 'half a Canuck'

    Entertainment CTV News
    Dolores O'Riordan, the defiant voice of Irish rock band the Cranberries who died Monday at 46, found a certain solace in her second home -- a remote town in Ontario. When she wasn't performing rock anthems like "Zombie," "Linger" and "Dreams" before audiences of thousands, O'Riordan was often at her cottage north of Peterborough, Ont. Source
  • Stratford Festival received $10 million gift for Tom Patterson Theatre

    Entertainment CBC News
    The Startford Festival announced it has received a $10 million dollar gift from long time supporter Ophelia Lazaridis as part of the theatre's new $100 million dollar campaign aimed to rebuild and secure the Tom Patterson Theatre. Source
  • UKIP leader breaks up with girlfriend over racist texts

    Entertainment CBC News
    The leader of the anti-EU U.K. Independence Party says he has broken up with his girlfriend after she made racist remarks about Prince Harry's fiancée, Meghan Markle. Henry Bolton said Monday that "the romantic side" of his relationship with 25-year-old Jo Marney was over. Source
  • UKIP leader breaks up with girlfriend over racist texts about Meghan Markle

    Entertainment CBC News
    The leader of the anti-EU U.K. Independence Party says he has broken up with his girlfriend after she made racist remarks about Prince Harry's fiancée, Meghan Markle. Henry Bolton said Monday that "the romantic side" of his relationship with 25-year-old Jo Marney was over. Source
  • Cranberries singer Dolores O'Riordan dead at 46

    Entertainment CTV News
    TORONTO -- Dolores O'Riordan, lead singer of the Cranberries who split her time between Ireland and a remote town in Ontario, has died at 46. Publicist Lindsey Holmes says O'Riordan died suddenly Monday in London, where she was recording. Source
  • 'We are crushed:' Fans, friends pay tribute to Cranberries singer Dolores O'Riordan

    Entertainment CBC News
    Dolores O'Riordan, lead singer of Irish band the Cranberries, has died at age 46. O'Riordan died in London, where she was recording, publicist Lindsey Holmes said. The cause of death wasn't immediately available. Holmes said the singer's family is devastated by the news. Source
  • 'I really struggled to finish:' Céline Dion apologizes to fans for cancelling 3rd Las Vegas concert this month

    Entertainment CBC News
    Céline Dion says she is "truly sorry" for cancelling another Las Vegas concert as she continues to battle throat inflammation. The Quebec singer posted on Facebook that after struggling to get through her show on Friday, her doctors told her she "absolutely" could not perform as scheduled the following night. Source
  • Celine Dion cancels third Las Vegas show as throat inflammation persists

    Entertainment CTV News
    LAS VEGAS -- Celine Dion says she is "truly sorry" for cancelling another Las Vegas concert as she continues to battle throat inflammation. The Quebec singer posted on Facebook that after struggling to get through her show on Friday, her doctors told her she "absolutely" could not perform as scheduled the following night. Source
  • Zeta-Jones says Michael Douglas is a 'Me Too' supporter

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK -- Catherine Zeta-Jones says her husband, Michael Douglas, is "110 per cent" in support of the movement against sexual harassment. Earlier this month, Douglas issued what he called a pre-emptive denial of allegations, yet to be published, that he harassed an employee in the 1980s and damaged her career. Source