'Je t'aime papa': Rene Angelil remembered as loving father at funeral

Hundreds of mourners have gathered in Montreal to celebrate the life of Rene Angelil, music producer and late husband to Celine Dion.

See Full Article

Angelil died of throat cancer last week at the age of 73 and was given the honour of a national funeral by Quebec’s National Assembly.

Dion arrived outside Notre-Dame Basilica shortly before 3 p.m. with family members, including five-year-old twin boys Nelson and Eddy, and 14-year-old son Rene-Charles.

The family entered the church at 3:20 p.m. accompanied by a French recording of Dion’s 1984 song “Twenty Minutes Past Three.”

Dion placed black flowers on a cushion atop Angelil’s casket. It was the same cushion used for the couple’s wedding bands when they were married in the basilica on Dec. 17, 1994.

The first to speak was Angelil’s son from his first marriage, Patrick Angelil, who remembered his father as a man who loved to “eat, loved to share and loved to play blackjack.”

“We were always able to call upon his wisdom,” he said in French. “He taught us that we have to treat others as we want to be treated.”

Rene-Charles spoke next. “Fifteen years is not a long time for a son to get to know his father,” he said, adding that they had bonded over “golf, hockey, poker and smoked meat.”

Rene-Charles promised to pass on what he had learned from his father to his younger brothers. “Dad, I promise you here that we are all going to live up to your standards,” he added.

"Je t’aime papa."

That was followed by a recording of Dion’s song “All the Way,” then a song from a boys’ choir, and prayers.

One was led by Julie Belanger, who prayed not only for Angelil, but also for those who suffer from disease and those who are forced by conflict to flee their lands and seek refuge.

Among the dignitaries present are Sophie Gregoire-Trudeau, Heritage Minister Melanie Joly, Montreal Mayor Denis Coderre, former prime minister Brian Mulroney, Premier Philippe Couillard and NDP Leader Tom Mulcair.

Hockey heavyweights have also arrived to pay their respects, including former Montreal Canadiens goalie Jose Theodore and current head coach Michel Therrien, and Michel Bergeron, who coached the Quebec Nordiques.

Archbishop of Montreal Christian Lepine is presiding over the ceremony.

In Quebec City, the flag at the legislature is flying at half-mast.

Another celebration of Angelil's life will take place Feb. 3 at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas.



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • Goodbye Charging Bull... for now. New York's Fearless Girl statue is on the move

    Entertainment CBC News
    New York's Fearless Girl statue that has become a global symbol of female business prowess will be moved from her spot staring down Wall Street's bronze Charging Bull to a new home facing the New York Stock Exchange. Source
  • Cameron Bailey is new co-head of Toronto International Film Festival

    Entertainment CBC News
    Cameron Bailey says he wants to ensure the Toronto International Film Festival remains engaged with its audience as he helps co-lead the organization through a changing cinematic landscape. On Thursday, TIFF announced Bailey has been promoted to its artistic director and co-head. Source
  • Benadryl, quaaludes could've affected Cosby accuser, expert testifies

    Entertainment CTV News
    NORRISTOWN, Pa. -- Bill Cosby's chief accuser could have been made woozy either by the cold and allergy medicine Benadryl or by quaaludes, a prosecution expert testified Thursday at the comedian's sexual assault retrial. The identity of the pills that Cosby gave Andrea Constand before a 2004 sexual encounter at his home has been one of the case's most enduring mysteries. Source
  • Previously persona non grata, Von Trier welcomed back at Cannes

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK -- Seven years after being banned by the Cannes Film Festival for jokingly calling himself a Nazi, Danish director Lars von Trier has been invited back to the French festival. Von Trier was declared "persona non grata" by Cannes after expressing sympathy for Adolf Hitler in a 2011 press conference for his film "Melancholia. Source
  • Venice awards Canada's David Cronenberg lifetime Golden Lion

    Entertainment CTV News
    Canadian director David Cronenberg will be honoured by the Venice Film Festival with its Golden Lion prize, the festival board announced Thursday, for his lifetime's work on life, death and sex wrapped up in gory horror and alienation. Source
  • 'It's a new era. It's a new age:' Saudi cinema opens with popcorn and Black Panther

    Entertainment CBC News
    The lights dimmed and the crowd of men and women erupted into applause and hoots as Hollywood's blockbuster Black Panther premiered in Saudi Arabia's first movie theatre in nearly four decades. Though it was a private, invitation-only screening on Wednesday evening, for many Saudis it marked one of the clearest moments of change to sweep the country in decades. Source
  • 'Riding for their dreams:' Tom Cochrane re-releases Big League to raise funds for Humboldt

    Entertainment CBC News
    Tom Cochrane has released a reworked version of his song Big League and will donate all proceeds to a fund created to support those affected by the April 6 crash in Saskatchewan involving the Humboldt Broncos team bus and a tractor-trailer. Source
  • Tom Cochrane releases his reworked version of 'Big League'

    Entertainment CTV News
    TORONTO - Tom Cochrane has released a reworked version of his song "Big League" and will donate all proceeds to a fund created to support those affected by the April 6 crash in Saskatchewan involving the Humboldt Broncos team bus and a tractor-trailer. Source
  • Tribeca Film Festival opens and De Niro comes out swinging

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK - The 17th annual Tribeca Film Festival opened Wednesday with pugnacious political words from Robert De Niro and the tender opening-night premiere, "Love, Gilda," an intimate celebration of the beloved comedian and former "Saturday Night Live" star Gilda Radner. Source
  • Prosecutor to update probe into Prince's death

    Entertainment CTV News
    MINNEAPOLIS - Prosecutors in the Minnesota county where Prince died will announce a decision on criminal charges following a two-year investigation into the music superstar's death from an accidental fentanyl overdose. Carver County Attorney Mark Metz scheduled an 11:30 a.m. Source