Funeral for Rene Angelil underway in Montreal

Hundreds of mourners have gathered in Montreal to celebrate the life of Rene Angelil, music producer and late husband to Celine Dion.

See Full Article

Angelil died of throat cancer last week at the age of 73 and was given the honour of a national funeral by Quebec’s National Assembly.

Dion arrived outside Notre-Dame Basilica shortly before 3 p.m. with family members, including five-year-old twin boys Nelson and Eddy, and 14-year-old son Rene-Charles.

The family entered the church at 3:20 p.m. accompanied by a French recording of Dion’s 1984 song “Twenty Minutes Past Three.”

Dion placed black flowers on a cushion atop Angelil’s casket. It was the same cushion used for the couple’s wedding bands when they were married in the basilica on Dec. 17, 1994.

The first to speak was Angelil’s son from his first marriage, Patrick Angelil, who remembered his father as a man who loved to “eat, loved to share and loved to play blackjack.”

“We were always able to call upon his wisdom,” he said in French. “He taught us that we have to treat others as we want to be treated.”

Rene-Charles spoke next. “Fifteen years is not a long time for a son to get to know his father,” he said, adding that they had bonded over “golf, hockey, poker and smoked meat.”

Rene-Charles promised to pass on what he had learned from his father to his younger brothers. “Dad, I promise you here that we are all going to live up to your standards,” he added. “I love you.”

That was followed by a recording of Dion’s song “All the Way,” then a song from a boys’ choir, and prayers.

Among the dignitaries present are Sophie Gregoire-Trudeau, Heritage Minister Melanie Joly, Montreal Mayor Denis Coderre, former prime minister Brian Mulroney, Premier Philippe Couillard and NDP Leader Tom Muclair.

Hockey heavyweights have also arrived to pay their respects, including former Montreal Canadiens goalie Jose Theodore and current head coach Michel Therrien, and Michel Bergeron, who coached the Quebec Nordiques.

Archbishop of Montreal Christian Lepine is presiding over the ceremony.

In Quebec City, the flag at the legislature is flying at half-mast.

Another celebration of Angelil's life will take place Feb. 3 at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas.

Angelil was born in 1942 to a Syrian father and mother of Lebanese descent but soon became a fixture of Quebecois culture.



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • Fox News vehemently denies 'copycat' racial discrimination allegations

    Entertainment CBC News
    An expanded lawsuit filed Tuesday accuses Fox News Channel of racial discrimination "that appears more akin to plantation-style management than a modern-day work environment." The lawsuit, filed in state Supreme Court, adds eight former and current Fox employees to a case involving three former Fox workers and their accusations against a since-fired Fox financial executive. Source
  • Shania Twain planning September album release

    Entertainment CTV News
    Country singer Shania Twain has revealed that she has her first album in 15 years due out in September. The new album -- whose title has yet to be revealed -- will be the singer's fifth, following up 2002's "Up!," and will be preceded by the lead single "Life's About to Get Good" in June. Source
  • Jeff Kinney marks 10th anniversary of 'Wimpy Kid' series

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK -- Jeff Kinney remembers when his goal was to write a book, one big book, for grown-ups. "I thought I'd write about a year in the life of a typical kid," says the children's author known to millions for his "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" series. Source
  • Lawsuit filed against Fox alleges racial discrimination

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK -- An expanded lawsuit filed Tuesday accuses Fox News Channel of racial discrimination "that appears more akin to Plantation-style management than a modern-day work environment." The lawsuit, filed in state Supreme Court, adds eight former and current Fox employees to a case involving three former Fox workers and their accusations against a since-fired Fox financial executive. Source
  • Bill Cosby 'is not abusive, violent or a rapist': Daughter

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    PHILADELPHIA — Bill Cosby’s youngest daughter has come to the comedian’s defence ahead of a looming sexual assault trial. Evin Cosby writes in an opinion piece for the National Newspaper Publishers Association published Wednesday that her father “is not abusive, violent or a rapist. Source
  • Daughter: Bill Cosby 'is not abusive, violent or a rapist'

    Entertainment CTV News
    In this Tuesday, Nov. 1, 2016 file photo, Bill Cosby leaves after a hearing in his sexual assault case at the Montgomery County Courthouse in Norristown, Pa. Cosby was charged with aggravated sexual assault on Dec. 30, 2015. Source
  • Caitlyn Jenner would consider running for office

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Caitlyn Jenner would “seriously look at a run” for office. The 67-year-old reality star has been hitting headlines in recent weeks for her scandalous revelations in new memoir The Secrets of My Life. But if Caitlyn has her way, she could be following in the footsteps of U.S. Source
  • Jeff Goldblum reprising role in 'Jurassic World' sequel: Report

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Jeff Goldblum is reportedly reprising his Jurassic Park role for the upcoming Jurassic World sequel. The Independence Day actor will be playing mathematician Dr. Ian Malcolm for the third time in the follow-up to 2015’s Jurassic World, which is currently in production, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Source
  • Fake Tragically Hip merchandise claiming to raise funds for cancer research dupes fans online

    Entertainment CBC News
    Tragically Hip guitarist Rob Baker is urging fans to be vigilant when buying merchandise that claims to be linked to Gord Downie's charity. The musician tweeted Tuesday that some online shoppers are being duped into buying T-shirts, hoodies and other items that purport to donate $10 of the proceeds to the Gord Downie Fund for Brain Cancer Research. Source
  • Oops! Serena Williams made pregnancy public by accident

    Entertainment CTV News
    VANCOUVER -- Serena Williams says she was taking a personal photo of her progressing pregnancy on Snapchat when she accidentally pressed the wrong button and made the post public. The photo of the tennis superstar in a one piece bathing suit was captioned "20 weeks. Source