Sean Penn's 'El Chapo' article was a failure: Mexican actor

NEW YORK -- Mexican actor Gael Garcia Bernal said he and Sean Penn agree on something: Penn's Rolling Stone reporting about Mexican drug lord Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman failed in its mission.

See Full Article

In an interview this week, the Golden Globe winner said Penn did not generate discussion about drug criminalization and legalization, wrongly put Guzman further in the limelight and should have interviewed others more deserving of the attention, such as "people that are changing things for the better."

Bernal explained: "It's better to talk with some like the people who help the migrants, for example, the people that are the victims of this drug war."

Penn recently told CBS' "60 Minutes" he failed in his intention to kick-start a conversation about the U.S. government's approach to the war on drugs when he tracked down Guzman to write an article for Rolling Stone.

Bernal's comments come less than a month after Golden Globe wins for him and his Amazon Prime comedy "Mozart in the Jungle," which follows the lives of members of a fictitious orchestra. Bernal, who won a best actor award for his character Rodrigo, plays the conductor.

Bernal declined to respond to questions about the "El Chapo" article at the Golden Globes because reporters who asked him about it didn't take the situation seriously enough.

"We're talking about a drug war that's been killing people all over the world for years and years and years and I've been very close to it. Living in Mexico, I suffer a lot from what's happening in my country."

Bernal said his next film, "Desierto," due out in March, also hits close to home. It's about a group of migrants who come under attack as they try to cross the border from Mexico to the United States. He said it was an action/horror film with a "deep, deep, deep political discussion" within it.



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • Early 'Star Wars' reaction: What do fans think of 'Rogue One'?

    Entertainment CTV News
    LOS ANGELES -- The force is strong with "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story" according to early reactions from the film's premiere Saturday night in Los Angeles. Official reviews are under embargo until Tuesday morning in advance of the Dec. Source
  • Netflix spokesperson says Prince discussed reality show

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK -- Here's something else we lost with the death of Prince: A Netflix reality series centred on his Paisley Park home in Minnesota. A Netflix spokesperson told The Associated Press on Saturday that the online entertainment company had been in "discussions" with Prince about a series, but that the project did not "come to fruition" before his death in April. Source
  • Kirk Douglas turns 100

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. — Kirk Douglas knows how to make an entrance. With boxing gloves in every centrepiece and the theme from Rocky blaring over the speakers, Douglas, one of the golden age of Hollywood’s last living legends, walked confidently into the Sunset Room at the Beverly Hills Hotel Friday afternoon to celebrate his 100th birthday at an intimate gathering of friends and family. Source
  • Kim's Convenience fans brave the cold to meet stars of hit CBC show

    Entertainment CBC News
    Fans of Kim's Convenience braved the cold on Saturday to meet stars of the hit CBC show — a sitcom that's shining a spotlight on the Canadian immigrant experience and putting Asian actors front-and-centre. The meet-and-greet at 252 Queen Street East — home of the real-life Kim's Convenience store used for the show — gave fans a chance to meet stars Paul Sun-Hyung Lee, Simu Liu and Jean Yoon. Source
  • 'I stand before you as a doormat'; Madonna condemns music industry's misogyny in Billboard award speech

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Madonna blasted the music industry for oppressing women and restricting their freedom during a blistering speech. The 58-year-old pop icon made the comments while accepting the Woman of the Year award at Billboard’s annual Women in Music event on Friday. Source
  • Khloe Kardashian's divorce from Lamar Odom to be finalized Dec. 17

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Khloe Kardashian and Lamar Odom will be officially divorced in one week. The reality star’s legal proceedings to split from her estranged husband will finalized on Dec. 17, according to court documents obtained by TMZ.com. Both Khloe and the former basketball star have waived spousal support, and will be equally sharing their joint checking account and their production company Khlomar. Source
  • 'Harry Potter' star Matthew Lewis, aka Neville Longbottom, getting married

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Harry Potter star Matthew Lewis is engaged. The 27-year-old British actor popped the question to girlfriend Angela Jones last month while on a romantic trip to Paris, France, according to TMZ.com. The couple met during the annual Celebration of Harry Potter event at Universal Studios’ Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Orlando, Fla. Source
  • Inside Kirk Douglas's intimate 100th birthday celebration

    Entertainment CTV News
    BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. -- Kirk Douglas knows how to make an entrance. With boxing gloves in every centerpiece and the theme from "Rocky" blaring over the speakers, Douglas, one of the golden age of Hollywood's last living legends, walked confidently into the Sunset Room at the Beverly Hills Hotel Friday afternoon to celebrate his 100th birthday at an intimate gathering of friends and family. Source
  • It's about time for a sci-fi film like Arrival

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    We’ll be doing a lot of soul-searching and head-scratching as awards-season progresses this month. And some of us will savour this brief, shining annual moment when movies are worth arguing about. This week, I submit my own favourite horse in the race — Denis Villeneuve’s Arrival. Source
  • Schwarzenegger: OK Trump is still 'Apprentice' producer

    Entertainment CTV News
    UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif. -- Arnold Schwarzenegger, star of the new version of "Celebrity Apprentice," is unfazed that President-elect Donald Trump has retained a producer's stake in the show. Schwarzenegger said Friday that it's just business, comparable to his situation when he became California's governor and retained a screen credit and kept earning royalties for the "Terminator" movie. Source