Mourners queue to pay respects to Rene Angelil

MONTREAL -- Several hundred people are lining up outside Montreal's Notre-Dame Basilica this afternoon to get ready to pay their respects to Celine Dion's late husband, Rene Angelil.

See Full Article

The viewing continues until 9 p.m. eastern tonight at the church where the couple married in 1994, while the funeral is set for Friday afternoon.

Dion was present in the church at the beginning of the afternoon and welcomed some of the mourners, including Montreal Mayor Denis Coderre.

One of those in line was Benoit Gendron, who said he has seen Dion in concert 192 times.

"Maybe I wouldn't have had the same life had it not been for Rene because I travelled around the world to see Celine," said Gendron, who comes from nearby Saint-Hubert.

"I based my vacations on where she was playing."

Gendron arrived at the basilica at 6 a.m. to be sure of being among the first to get in.

Angelil, who managed Dion's career for 30-plus years, was two days shy of his 74th birthday when he died last Thursday at his home in Las Vegas after a long battle with throat cancer.

Also in line Thursday was singer Jeremy Gabriel, 19, a well-known performer from Quebec and ambassador for the Shriners Hospitals for Children.

"The Dion-Angelil family gave me enormous support during my career," he said. "Celine and Rene were very generous with me and invited me to Las Vegas in 2006. They let me sing with her twice and to meet her in Paris."

Dion and Angelil had three children -- Rene-Charles, who was born in 2001, and twins Nelson and Eddy, who arrived in 2010.

Angelil was in a band in the 1960s called Les Baronets. When it dissolved, he teamed up with friend Guy Cloutier to manage several up-and-coming Quebec artists including Rene Simard and Ginette Reno.

He later struck out on his own and in 1981 received an audio tape in the mail from Dion's mother, who encouraged him to "listen to it carefully. It's my 12-year-old daughter."

Struck by her voice, Angelil quickly took her under his wing.

He gave Dion an image makeover when she turned 18 and launched her first English-language album -- "Unison" -- in 1990, which established her as an international pop star.

A celebration of Angelil's life will take place Feb. 3 at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas.

Dion is also dealing with another tragedy in the family -- her brother Daniel Dion died of cancer two days after Angelil.

His funeral is set for Monday, just outside Montreal in the family's hometown of Charlemagne.



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • Lady Gaga, Pokemon Go, Steve Buscemi among 407 Webby Award winners

    Entertainment CBC News
    Lady Gaga, Pokemon Go and Steve Buscemi are among the winners of this year's Webby Awards. The annual honour, now in its 21st year, celebrates the best of the internet and web culture. Gaga won a pair of Webbys for her high-tech tribute to David Bowie at last year's Grammys, which was produced in partnership with Intel. Source
  • 'La La Land' day declared in Los Angeles

    Entertainment CTV News
    Los Angeles' mayor has proclaimed Tuesday is "La La Land" day as acrobats suspended by ropes danced their way across the outside walls of City Hall. Mayor Eric Garcetti proclaimed the honour for the musical that claimed six Academy Awards in February and put a spotlight on various locales throughout the city with elaborate song-and-dance numbers. Source
  • 'Grey's Anatomy's' Jesse Williams files for divorce

    Entertainment CTV News
    In this March 19, 2017, file photo, Jesse Williams attends the 34th annual PaleyFest: Grey's Anatomy event at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles. (Photo by Richard Shotwell/Invision/AP, File) Source
  • Drake named world's most popular recording artist in 2016

    Entertainment CTV News
    LONDON - Drake was the world's most popular recording artist in 2016, as the growth of music streaming gave global music sales their biggest boost in 20 years. The International Federation of the Phonographic Industry said Tuesday that Drake had the years' bestselling single, with "One Dance," and the third bestselling album, "Views. Source
  • Sylvester Stallone’s ‘Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2’ character has a big future in the MCU [Photos] [Vi

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    LOS ANGELES — The Marvel Cinematic Universe has big plans for Sylvester Stallone. The 70-year-old action icon appears in Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 as Stakar, a Ravager who banished Michael Rooker’s space-pirate Yondu when he found out that Yondu was selling child slaves on the side. Source
  • Patricia Cornwell returns to beginnings as crime novelist

    Entertainment CTV News
    CHESTERFIELD, Va. -- Patricia Cornwell has gone back to her beginnings, the place where she got her start writing crime novels. She's returned to the Chesterfield County Police Department in Virginia, where media outlets report that she's taking a weeklong course on gunshot restoration. Source
  • Will Smith, Jessica Chastain join Cannes Film Festival jury

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK -- Will Smith, Jessica Chastain and Italian director Paolo Sorrentino are joining the jury for the 70th Cannes Film Festival. Festival organizers announced the jury lineup Tuesday. Spanish filmmaker Pedro Almodovar was previously announced as the jury president. Source
  • ‘Bachelor’ star Chris Soules jailed after deadly Iowa crash

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    IOWA CITY, Iowa — Former “The Bachelor” star Chris Soules was arrested early Tuesday, accused of fleeing the scene of a deadly crash on a highway a few miles from his northern Iowa farm. The Iowa State Patrol reports that a pickup truck rear-ended a tractor in Aurora at around 8:20 p.m. Source
  • Beyonce to fund scholarships for black women at 4 schools

    Entertainment CTV News
    Beyonce is marking the anniversary of her album "Lemonade" by announcing scholarships for black women to attend selected colleges. The singer announced that her Formation Scholars Award will go to a single black woman student at four schools. Source
  • 'Completely stunned': Faye Dunaway breaks silence on Oscar envelope snafu

    Entertainment CBC News
    Actress Faye Dunaway says she thought co-presenter Warren Beatty was joking when he paused before showing her the envelope that should have contained the Oscar's best picture winner, thinking he was stalling for effect. Dunaway told the story to Lester Holt on NBC Nightly News, speaking out for the first time since the snafu rocked Hollywood during February's Oscars. Source