Judge tosses Pennsylvania woman's defamation suit vs. Cosby

PITTSBURGH -- A federal judge on Thursday dismissed a lawsuit filed by a Pittsburgh-area woman who claims Bill Cosby defamed her when he and his representatives responded to allegations that he drugged and sexually assaulted her and other women.

See Full Article

The October lawsuit filed by Renita Hill, 48, of Baldwin, was dismissed with prejudice, meaning she cannot try to amend and re-file it.

Hill went public with her allegations in November 2014 in an interview on Pittsburgh's KDKA-TV in which she said she was "emboldened" by other women who had made similar accusations against Cosby.

Her lawsuit said she was made out to be a "liar" and "extortionist" when the comedian, his wife and his attorney issued blanket denials.

U.S. District Judge Arthur Schwab agreed with Cosby's attorneys that the statements were opinions protected by the First Amendment.

"Even considering these three statements together as a combined, single statement, this newly 'conjoined' statement does not lead to an inference that plaintiff is a 'liar and an extortionist,"' the judge wrote.

Cosby's attorneys referred questions to a spokeswoman who didn't immediately comment on the ruling.

Hill's attorney, George Kontos, promised to appeal saying he strongly disagreed with the judge's reasoning.

"The basis of his opinion is these are constitutionally protected, 'pure' opinions," Kontos said. "But, looked at as a whole, they contain all sorts of innuendo and undisclosed facts."

A day after Hill's interview, Cosby attorney Martin Singer issued a statement saying: "The new, never-before-heard claims from women who have come forward in the past two weeks with unsubstantiated, fantastical stories about things they say occurred 30, 40, or even 50 years ago have escalated far past the point of absurdity."

Cosby and his wife, Camille, made separate statements in the weeks that followed, with Cosby saying he refused to respond to "innuendos" and inviting the public to "fact-check" his accusers. Camille Cosby accused media outlets of violating rules of journalistic integrity by publishing some of the allegations without properly "vetting" Cosby's accusers.

Kontos had argued in an earlier court filing that those statements weren't pure opinions protected by the First Amendment because they included "undisclosed facts" -- namely, the implication that Hill and the other accusers are lying.

But Judge Schwab found the statements citing innuendo and fact-checking were "a far cry" from labeling the accusers liars and extortionists.

Cosby has yet to respond specifically to Hill's allegations that he drugged and molested her several times after they met on the TV show, "Picture Pages," in 1983. Hill claims that went on for about four years, starting when she was 16, and that Cosby helped pay for her college and would fly her to cities where he was performing, until she cut off contact with him about four years later.

Seven women are suing Cosby in federal court in Massachusetts for defamation. Like Hill, those women contend Cosby defamed them by allowing his representatives to brand them as liars.

In December, Cosby countersued, saying the women made "malicious, opportunistic, and false and defamatory accusations" against him for monetary gain.

Since then, Cosby has been criminally charged in suburban Philadelphia with sexually assaulting a woman in 2004 after giving her drugs that made her drowsy and unable to resist. A judge has set a Feb. 2 hearing on a motion by Cosby's attorneys to have those charges dismissed.



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • Prominent Russian theatre director put under house arrest

    Entertainment CTV News
    MOSCOW -- A court in Moscow has put a widely revered Russian theatre director under house arrest on charges of embezzling $1.1 million, which he has denied. Kirill Serebrennikov, 47, was detained Tuesday in St. Source
  • Monumental Quebec author, Rejean Ducharme, dead at 76

    Entertainment CTV News
    MONTREAL -- Rejean Ducharme, a well-known Quebec author and playwright credited with influencing the province's culture during the Quiet Revolution with his famous debut novel, "The Swallower Swallowed," has died at the age of 76. Source
  • Stratford Festival to stage 'The Rocky Horror Show' as part of 2018 season

    Entertainment CTV News
    TORONTO - Get ready to do the "Time Warp" at the Stratford Festival in southwestern Ontario. The festival says it plans to present "The Rocky Horror Show" as part of its 2018 season, which includes a wide variety of theatrical genres along with its usual Shakespeare works. Source
  • Billy Joel dons Star of David jacket during NYC show encore

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK -- Billy Joel wore a bright yellow Star of David on his black suit during an encore at Madison Square Garden. Monday's performance by "The Piano Man" came more than a week after a rally by neo-Nazis and other groups in Charlottesville, Virginia, ended in deadly violence against counterprotesters. Source
  • Thomas Meehan, Tony-winning story writer of 'Annie,' dead at 88

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK -- Three-time Tony Award-winning book writer Thomas Meehan, best known for transforming the Little Orphan Annie cartoon strip into the smash Broadway musical "Annie," has died at age 88. Meehan, who had been ill for about five months and had undergone surgery, died at his home in Manhattan late Monday or early Tuesday, longtime friend and "Annie" collaborator Martin Charnin said. Source
  • How Netflix picks things for you to stream

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    NEW YORK — Netflix wants subscribers to know it’s looking out for them. For instance, the average Netflix subscriber might never guess that its dark superhero drama “Jessica Jones” might strike similar chords as the zany hijinks of “Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. Source
  • ‘Cheers’ star George Wendt on Blue Jays’ playoff chances: ‘It’s a possibility’

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Cheers star George Wendt thinks the Blue Jays still have a chance at making the playoffs. With the Blue Jays sitting five games out of a wild-card spot, Toronto might want to consider inviting George Wendt to a game or two . Source
  • Ozzy Osbourne performs 'Bark At The Moon' during eclipse

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Ozzy Osbourne marked Monday’s solar eclipse by performing his hit Bark at the Moon as the sun was blocked out over Illinois. The heavy rocker played a rare afternoon set at the Moonstock Festival in Carterville and timed his performance perfectly - two minutes into one of his most famous solo tracks, the moon completely blocked out the sun. Source
  • Drew Scott joining 'Dancing with the Stars'?

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Move over, James Hinchcliffe – Dancing with the Stars has a new Canadian hunk it wants to turn into a samba playa. According to People magazine, Property Brothers’ Drew Scott has signed with the Emmy-nominated reality TV competition series, which is set to premiere next month on ABC and CTV. Source
  • TIFF 2017: Drake, George Clooney, Jennifer Lawrence, Benedict Cumberbatch and Angelina Jolie among celebs headed to Toronto

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Have CN Tower, don’t need to travel. Following his annual OVO Fest, which this year saw him performing on a makeshift version of the Canadian landmark, Toronto rapper Drake is set to mingle with the Hollywood A-crowd when he brings his Vince Carter documentary, The Carter Effect, to the Toronto International Film Festival next month. Source