Prosecutor: Cosby wants special treatment, case should go on

NORRISTOWN, Pa. -- Prosecutors pursuing sex-assault charges against Bill Cosby say he wants special treatment in trying to have the case thrown out even before the first evidence hearing.

See Full Article

In a response to Cosby's motion to dismiss the case, suburban Philadelphia prosecutors alleged that Cosby may have been "committing similar crimes for decades and getting away with it, all over the country, using his celebrity and fortune to avoid the consequences."

Montgomery County District Attorney Kevin Steele also said Wednesday that there was no valid agreement to never prosecute the comedian, as a former prosecutor claimed. Former District Attorney Bruce Castor is expected to testify next month for the defence that he made the deal to persuade Cosby to testify in the accuser's 2005 civil lawsuit.

Common Pleas Judge Steven O'Neill has scheduled a Feb. 2 hearing on the defence motion to dismiss the criminal case. Cosby has not yet entered a plea, and his lawyer did not immediately return a call for comment Wednesday. In his deposition, Cosby called his feelings toward the accuser "romantic" and their encounter that night in January 2004 consensual.

Steele argued that Castor maintains he granted Cosby immunity "via a press release," but said that fell far short of a court-approved immunity agreement. He noted that the press release quoted Castor as saying he could revisit the decision later if the need arose.

"Such a need did arise, but not until July 2015, when a federal judge -- over defendant's objection -- made portions of his civil deposition public for the first time," Steele wrote. "This new evidence, as well as the resulting public claims by numerous women that defendant had also sexually assaulted them, triggered a renewed investigation."

Cosby also acknowledged in the deposition that he had gotten quaaludes in the 1970s to use as a seduction tool, another factor Steele said he weighed as he considered charges.

The case marks the first time that Cosby has ever faced criminal charges despite years of accusations that he had drugged and molested women.

Both Cosby and his accuser say he gave her wine and three blue pills. The key question is whether she consented to the sexual activity that followed and what the pills contained. Cosby has said they were Benadryl pills, but her lawyers believe they were something stronger that left her semi-conscious.

Cosby, though, has described her as a willing participant in what he called a "petting" session that included digital penetration. She went to police a year later, near home in Toronto, and said she had been drugged and violated.

Cosby, now 78, settled her civil lawsuit after giving four days of often-combative deposition testimony in 2005 and 2006. His testimony, released last year, includes admissions that the long-married family values advocate had had a series of affairs with young women.

Steele also argued Wednesday that the hearing on the motion to dismiss is premature. He said the rules in Pennsylvania call for such motions to be filed only after a preliminary hearing. O'Neill scheduled the hearing in place of the preliminary hearing that had been set for the same day before a magistrate.

Steele also objected to defence efforts to disqualify his office because the Cosby case was an issue in his fall campaign against Castor. Steele called any comments he made during the campaign "straightforward."



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • Brit flies to NYC to propose at 'Ghostbusters' firehouse

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK -- A British man flew his girlfriend all the way across the pond to New York City so he could propose to her at the firehouse used in the "Ghostbusters" franchise. Wearing a hard hat and safety vest, Giles Baugh dropped to one knee at Ladder 8 in Tribeca and asked Melissa Ward to marry him. Source
  • 'Rogue One: A Star Wars Story' director Gareth Edwards says Darth Vader will stay true to original films [Photos]

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    SAN FRANCISCO — Rogue One director Gareth Edwards is promising Star Wars fans one thing: Darth Vader won’t disappoint. “They can expect to see Darth Vader in as true a way of how we perceived him to be in the original movies,” Edwards tells Sun Media in a Canadian exclusive. Source
  • Judge finalizes Khloe Kardashian's divorce from Lamar Odom

    Entertainment CTV News
    LOS ANGELES -- Khlomar is officially no more. A Los Angeles judge on Friday finalized Khloe Kardashian's divorce from former NBA player Lamar Odom, more than three years after the reality TV star first sought to end their marriage. Source
  • Well-known Days of Our Lives villain dead at 87

    Entertainment CBC News
    Joseph Mascolo, who played the iconic bad guy Stefano DiMera on NBC's daytime serial Days of Our Lives, has died. He was 87. A statement released Friday by NBC on behalf of Mascolo's wife said he died Wednesday after a long battle with Alzheimer's disease. Source
  • Joseph Mascolo, 'Days of Our Lives' villain Stefano DiMera, dies at 87

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    LOS ANGELES -- Joseph Mascolo, who played bad guy Stefano DiMera on NBC's daytime serial "Days of Our Lives," has died. He was 87. A statement released Friday by NBC on behalf of Mascolo's wife said he died Wednesday after a long battle with Alzheimer's disease. Source
  • 'Spider-Man: Homecoming': Five things we learned from the first trailer [Video]

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    We can’t wait to go to Homecoming. On Thursday night’s episode of Jimmy Kimmel Live!, the late-night host unveiled the first full-length trailer for next summer’s Spider-Man: Homecoming, the webslinger’s re-reboot under an unusual partnership between Sony Pictures and Marvel Studios. Source
  • T.J. Miller arrested after driver accuses actor of battery

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Los Angeles police say actor T.J. Miller was arrested early Friday morning after a driver accused him of battery. The arrest of the “Silicon Valley” star came two days before Miller will host the Critics’ Choice Awards in Los Angeles. Source
  • Trump's ties to 'Celebrity Apprentice' raises conflict issues for NBC

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK -- Donald Trump's continued stake in television's "Celebrity Apprentice" adds to questions about potential conflicts between his personal and public responsibilities, while raising new ones about NBC. If it continues, journalists at NBC News will be covering a president for a corporation whose entertainment division retains ties to the man. Source
  • 'I'm still standing': Madonna, Kesha get emotional at Billboard honours

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK -- The annual Billboard Women In Music event featured emotional and heartfelt speeches about the uphill battles women face in the music industry, including personal stories from top honoree Madonna and pop singer Kesha. Source
  • Conor McGregor joining Game of Thrones

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    UFC champ Conor McGregor has fought his way to win a role on HBO's Game of Thrones. According to Belfast Live, the Irish featherweight fighter will have a role on an upcoming season – some of which is filmed in Belfast. Source