Calls for boycott over lack of diversity throw Oscars into turmoil

NEW YORK - Growing calls for a boycott of the Academy Awards over the lack of diversity among this year's Oscar nominees are forcing stars to choose sides and threatening to throw the movie industry's biggest night of the year into turmoil.

See Full Article

The backlash over the second straight year of all-white acting nominees is also putting heavy pressure on the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences to diversify its overwhelmingly white male membership.

The furor grew on Tuesday when the Rev. Al Sharpton said he would lead a campaign encouraging people not to watch the Feb. 28 telecast. On Monday, Spike Lee, this year's Oscar honoree for lifetime achievement, and Jada Pinkett Smith announced they will boycott the ceremony in protest.

Academy president Cheryl Boone Isaacs, who has led efforts to diversify the academy, responded late Monday evening with a forceful statement saying that those previous measures weren't enough.

Isaacs, the academy's first African American president, said that "it's time for big changes" and that she will review membership recruiting to bring about "much-need diversity" in the academy's ranks.

At a Los Angeles gala honouring Boone Isaacs on Monday night, actor David Oyelowo - who was famously snubbed last year for his performance as the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. in "Selma" - expressed frustration with the academy.

"This institution doesn't reflect its president and it doesn't reflect this room," Oyelowo said. "I am an academy member and it doesn't reflect me and it doesn't reflect this nation."

Other stars began weighing in. George Clooney, in comments to Variety, said that after earlier progress by the industry, "you feel like we're moving in the wrong direction." He noted that movies like "Creed," "Straight Outta Compton," "Beasts of No Nation" and "Concussion" may have deserved more attention from the academy.

"But honestly, there should be more opportunity than that," Clooney said. "There should be 20 or 30 or 40 films of the quality that people would consider for the Oscars. By the way, we're talking about African Americans. For Hispanics, it's even worse. We need to get better at this. We used to be better at it."

A 2012 Los Angeles Times study found that the academy was 94 per cent white and 77 per cent male.

UCLA's latest annual Hollywood Diversity Report concluded that women and minorities are substantially underrepresented in front of and behind the camera, even while audiences show a strong desire for films with diverse casts. Hispanics and African Americans go to the movies more often than whites do.

UCLA surveyed film and TV executives and found that 96 per cent are white.

In his comments Monday, Lee said the Oscars' problems ultimately reside with "the gate keepers" who have the power to green-light projects.

Isaacs enlisted Chris Rock, who famously called Hollywood "a white industry" a year ago, as host of this year's ceremony. The backlash all but ensures Rock's opening monologue will, for many, be the most anticipated event of the show.

Last year's broadcast, hosted by Neil Patrick Harris, was also boycotted by some viewers because of the all-white slate of acting nominees. Ratings dipped to a six-year low for ABC.

Some on Tuesday put pressure on Rock to join the boycott. The rapper 50 Cent urged on Instagram: "Chris, please do not do the Oscars awards. You mean a lot man, don't do it." A representative for Rock didn't immediately respond to an email.

One person emphatically not on board with the boycott was actress Janet Hubert, who starred with Will Smith on the '90s sitcom "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air." In a video posted on Facebook, she lambasted Pinkett Smith for asking actors to jeopardize their career for an insubstantial cause.

"There's a lot of s--- going on the world that you all don't seem to recognize," said Hubert. "People are dying. Our boys are being shot left and right. People are starving. People are trying to pay bills. And you're taking about some motherf------ actors and Oscars. It just ain't that deep."

Just how much more Boone Isaacs can do to promote diversity at the academy, where membership is for life, remains to be seen. In November, she launched a five-year initiative to encourage more diversity in Hollywood, called A2020.

But Boone Isaacs noted there is some precedent for more drastic steps. In the late '60s, for example, academy president Gregory Peck tried to inject more youth by stripping many older members no longer working in the industry of the right to vote.



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • 'Mission: Impossible 6' still on track despite Tom Cruise's ankle injury

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    LOS ANGELES — Production has shut down on “Mission: Impossible 6” due to star Tom Cruise’s broken ankle. Paramount Pictures said Wednesday that production will go on hiatus while Cruise makes a full recovery. Cruise broke his ankle while performing a stunt for the film during its London-based shoot. Source
  • Tragically Hip biography ‘The Never-Ending Present’ coming in 2018

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    TORONTO — A new biography on the Tragically Hip and band frontman Gord Downie will be published in 2018. ECW Press says The Never-Ending Present: The Story of Gord Downie and the Tragically Hip is slated for release next April. Source
  • Drake teases fans with new T.O. restaurant

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Can Toronto have too much Drake? He has two retail locations selling Drizzy-themed swag, a private club at the Air Canada Centre, gets his own “Drake Night” at a Raptors home game once a season and hosts his own festival over the August long weekend every summer. Source
  • Stranger Things have happened to illustrator Mike Feehan

    Entertainment CBC News
    Mike Feehan, an illustrator and artist based in St. John's, enjoyed the Netflix smash hit Stranger Things so much, he made a bit of fan art for it. He never imagined he'd get an email from the show's marketing team asking him to make more, and to make it for them. Source
  • 'We all knew he was like this': Salman Rushdie unsurprised by Trump

    Entertainment CTV News
    TORONTO -- As Donald Trump continues to face backlash for blaming "both sides" at a deadly protest in Charlottesville, Va., celebrated author Salman Rushdie says he's not surprised by embattled U.S. president's behaviour. "If you've lived in New York as I now have the last almost 20 years, we in New York, we've seen Trump," Rushdie said in an interview Wednesday for his novel "The Golden House," which is set against the backdrop of the last eight years of U.S. Source
  • Cosmic gig: Bonnie Tyler will perform Total Eclipse of the Heart during solar eclipse

    Entertainment CBC News
    In a pop culture pairing that's positively celestial, Bonnie Tyler is set to perform her iconic track Total Eclipse of the Heart during next week's total solar eclipse. The Welsh singer, backed by Joe Jonas' band DNCE, will perform her 1980s power ballad on Aug. Source
  • Another lawyer for Bill Cosby's sex assault case wants out

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    A second Bill Cosby lawyer wants to quit before the embattled star’s indecent assault trial starts up again. The Cosby Show star was tried on charges of felony aggravated indecent assault in Pennsylvania’s Montgomery County courthouse in June, but a judge declared a mistrial after a jury failed to reach a verdict. Source
  • 'Mission: Impossible 6' on hiatus after Cruise breaks ankle

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    LOS ANGELES — Production has shut down on “Mission: Impossible 6” due to star Tom Cruise’s broken ankle. Paramount Pictures said Wednesday that production will go on hiatus while Cruise makes a full recovery. Cruise broke his ankle while performing a stunt for the film during its London-based shoot. Source
  • Tom Cruise injury halts Mission: Impossible 6 production

    Entertainment CBC News
    Production has shut down on Mission: Impossible 6 due to star Tom Cruise's broken ankle. Paramount Pictures said production will go on hiatus while Cruise makes a full recovery. Cruise broke his ankle while performing a stunt for the film during its London-based shoot. Source
  • The Amazing Race Canada's Andrea and Ebonie say there's no grudge against Korey and Ivana

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Montreal business partners Andrea and Ebonie – and the fifth team eliminated on Season 5 of The Amazing Race Canada – want to make one thing clear: they hold no ill will against their fellow racers. “There’s no grudge against anyone,” Ebonie says the day after they were sent home. Source