Calls for boycott of Oscars grow over diversity of nominees

NEW YORK -- Calls for a boycott of the Academy Awards are growing over the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences' second straight year of mostly white nominees, as Spike Lee and Jada Pinkett Smith each said Monday that they will not attend this year's ceremony.

See Full Article

In a lengthy Instagram post, Lee said he "cannot support" the "lily white" Oscars. Noting that he was writing on Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Lee -- who in November said he was fed up: "Forty white actors in two years and no flava at all," he wrote. "We can't act?!"

In a video message on Facebook, Pinkett Smith also said she wouldn't attend or watch the Oscars in February. Pinkett Smith, whose husband Will Smith wasn't nominated for his performance in the NFL head trauma drama "Concussion," said it was time for people of colour to disregard the Academy Awards.

"Begging for acknowledgement, or even asking, diminishes dignity and diminishes power," she said. "And we are a dignified people and we are powerful."

She added: "Let's let the academy do them, with all grace and love. And let's do us differently."

Last year's all-white acting nominees also drew calls for a boycott, though not from such prominent individuals as Lee and Pinkett Smith. Whether it had any impact or not, the audience for the broadcast, hosted by Neil Patrick Harris, was down 16 per cent from the year prior, a six-year low.

This year, academy president Cheryl Boone Isaacs has made a point of presenting a more inclusive show. The Feb. 28 broadcast will be hosted by Chris Rock and produced by "Django Unchained" producer Reginald Hudlin and David Hill. On Saturday, Rock, unveiling a new promotion for the broadcast, called the ceremony "The White BET Awards."

The academy didn't immediately respond to messages left Monday.

In his post, Lee made it clear the Academy Awards is only part of the problem in an industry with deep-rooted diversity issues.

"The Academy Awards is not where the 'real' battle is," wrote Lee. "It's in the executive office of the Hollywood studios and TV and cable networks. This is where the gate keepers decide what gets made and what gets jettisoned to 'turnaround' or scrap heap. This is what's important. The gate keepers. Those with 'the green light' vote."

We must stand in our power.

Posted by Jada Pinkett Smith on Monday, January 18, 2016


Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • 'Doctor Strange' director Scott Derrickson doesn’t know when the sequel is happening

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Doctor Strange director Scott Derrickson was relieved he didn’t have to try and shoehorn references to the rest of the Marvel Cinematic Universe when he brought the Sorcerer Supreme to the big screen last fall. No Iron Man cameo, no Spider-Man tease, no Guardians of the Galaxy nod. Source
  • David Cassidy fighting memory loss, wants to 'enjoy life'

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK -- Former "Partridge Family" star David Cassidy says he's struggling with memory loss. The 66-year-old actor-singer tells People magazine his family has a history of dementia and he had sensed "this was coming. Source
  • 'Billions' beauty Malin Akerman comes home

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Malin Akerman says her Billions character will show more "humanity" in the TV drama's second season which debuted Sunday, Feb. 19 (Crave-The Movie Network). The Swedish-born, Canadian-raised actress plays Lara, the protective wife of hedge fund manager Bobby "Axe" Axelrod (Damian Lewis) who is being investigated by federal prosecutor Chuck Rhoades (Paul Giamatti). Source
  • Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr and Joe Walsh hit the studio

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr have reunited in the studio to collaborate on new music together. The two surviving members of The Beatles met up at Ringo’s home studio in Los Angeles on Sunday, with the drummer, 76, posting a picture of himself and his former bandmate on Twitter. Source
  • 'Hotline Bling is not a rap song'; Drake doesn't want his Grammys

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Drake doesn’t want his 2017 Grammy Awards because it “feels weird” to accept rap prizes for what he considers a pop song. The singer won the Best Rap/Sung Performance and Best Rap Song for his track Hotline Bling at the Los Angeles prize-giving on Feb. Source
  • Lisa Marie Presley's kids in mom Priscilla's care

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Lisa Marie Presley’s children are being taken care of by their grandmother Priscilla Presley during her messy divorce battle. It was reported last week that Finley and Harper Lockwood, eight, had been removed from the family home and placed in the care of officials at California’s Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS) after Lisa claimed to have found indecent photos and videos of children on her estranged husband Michael’s computer in legal papers as part of her divorce. Source
  • Kurt Cobain's daughter, Frances Bean Cobain, wishes late singer a happy 50th birthday

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Frances Bean Cobain posted an emotional message to her late father Kurt on Monday, the date of his 50th birthday. Frances, 24, was less than two years old when her father passed from a self-inflicted gunshot wound in April 1994, aged just 27. Source
  • 41-year-old Lauryn Hill becomes a grandma

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Singer Lauryn Hill has reportedly become a grandmother at the age of 41. The girlfriend of Hill’s 19-year-old son Zion Marley apparently welcomed a baby boy over the weekend, with the child thought to have been named Zephaniah.While the former Fugees star has not commented on the news, Zion’s father, Rohan Marley, announced his grandson’s arrival on Instagram. Source
  • Nick Cannon sued for US$1.75 million over app

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Nick Cannon has been hit with a US$1.7 million lawsuit for allegedly stealing the idea for his Ncredible mobile app . Enrico Taylor has filed legal documents claiming he met Cannon in 2015 to discuss his digital talent search company I Discover Stars. Source
  • Eustace ‘livid’ over Tori, Dean baby bash: Report

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Toronto media personality Mary Jo Eustace is reportedly “livid” over her ex-husband Dean McDermott and his bride Tori Spelling’s big bucks baby bash. Sources told the New York Post that Eustace’s anger was triggered by the $40,000 baby shower — at the same time he’s allegedly thousands in arrears on child support payments. Source