Prince cancels Europe concerts, reschedules performances for home studio

(New York) - Prince has rescheduled aborted concerts featuring the maverick pop star alone on piano, but this time he will perform at his home studio instead of Europe.

See Full Article

After days of hints on social media, Prince announced that he will play two back-to-back shows Thursday at his Paisley Park complex in a suburb outside Minneapolis.

Prince had initially planned a tour of Europe in November and December which the Purple One would sing and play piano without further adornment, in a first since his rise to stardom three decades ago.

Acclaimed as a guitar virtuoso and dancer, Prince had explained that he had grown accustomed to favorable reviews and wanted a musical challenge.

But Prince abruptly postponed ticket sales minutes before they were due to start for the first European dates, outraged that resellers were already offering tickets at prices far above face value.

He later canceled the whole tour, which would have taken him to at least 11 countries, as he cited the November 13 attacks on Paris that included an assault on the Bataclan concert hall.

Prince announced the Paisley Park concerts on Saturday over social media, with tickets quickly selling out.

Prince, on a dedicated website for the concerts, said there would be no actual tickets and that Paisley Park would instead keep a list of buyers at the door with name changes forbidden.

Built after the huge success of Prince's 1984 album "Purple Rain," Paisley Park has been the Minneapolis-born star's primary center of creative output with state-of-the-art studios, a concert space and a secure vault for his master recordings.

Paisley Park looms large in the imagination of Prince fans as well as many ordinary people in Minneapolis and adjacent St. Paul, for whom a chance to see the reclusive pop star's inner world can be a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Prince has nonetheless been opening up Paisley Park with growing frequency. In September he welcomed fans for a three-day "international dance party," and in November announced his European tour with a pajama party for journalists that reportedly culminated in a screening of the latest James Bond film "Spectre" at a nearby cinema he rented out for the occasion.

Prince has in recent years battled ticket scalpers by announcing his concerts only a few hours before taking stage.



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • Joe Biden consoles daughter of ailing Sen. John McCain on 'The View'

    Entertainment CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- Former U.S. Vice-President Joe Biden sought to console the daughter of ailing Sen. John McCain after she began crying while discussing her father's battle with brain cancer on ABC's "The View." Meghan McCain, a panelist on the program, told Biden on Wednesday she hadn't been able to get through his new memoir, "Promise Me, Dad," which centres on the 2015 death of his son, Beau, from an aggressive tumour called glioblastoma. Source
  • Final offer choice expected for Toronto house where Meghan Markle lived

    Entertainment CTV News
    TORONTO -- Time is running out to buy the Toronto house where "Suits" actress Meghan Markle and Prince Harry spent time before announcing their engagement last month, as the sellers are expected to choose a buyer as soon as tonight. Source
  • CBC pulls Transgender Kids doc from schedule after complaints

    Entertainment CBC News
    CBC has pulled the film Transgender Kids: Who Knows Best? from its Documentary channel schedule following a series of online complaints. The controversial BBC documentary questions what is the right approach for children with gender dysphoria, a condition in which a person's physical or assigned gender conflicts with the gender with which they identify. Source
  • Mark Ruffalo is 'disgusted' with Trump's monuments decision

    Entertainment CTV News
    ATLANTA -- "Avengers" star Mark Ruffalo said he is disgusted with U.S. President Donald Trump's plan to shrink two sprawling Utah national monuments by nearly two-thirds. Ruffalo told The Associated Press in a recent interview that Trump's decision was a "slap in the face" to Native Americans. Source
  • 'For years, he was my monster': Salma Hayek opens up about Harvey Weinstein

    Entertainment CBC News
    In one of the most vivid accounts yet of Harvey Weinstein's alleged abuse and harassment, Salma Hayek says the disgraced movie mogul turned the making of her 2002 passion project, the Frida Kahlo biopic Frida, into a nightmare after the actress refused Weinstein's relentless advances. Source
  • Hayek says rebuffing Weinstein led to nightmare on 'Frida'

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK -- In an op-ed, Salma Hayek said that her refusals to Harvey Weinstein's advances led to a nightmare experience making the 2002 Frida Kahlo biopic "Frida." "For years, he was my monster," Hayek wrote in her account, published Wednesday by The New York Times. Source
  • 'Three Billboards' tops SAG noms, 'Big Sick' bounces back

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK -- In nominations announced Wednesday, the 24th Screen Actors Guild Awards heartily endorsed the Frances McDormand-led revenge drama "Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri," offered swift redemption for the Golden Globes-overlooked romantic comedy "The Big Sick" and left many Oscar favourites empty handed. Source
  • Former Apprentice contestant Omarosa to leave Trump administration

    Entertainment CBC News
    The White House says Omarosa Manigault Newman — one of U.S. President Donald Trump's most prominent African-American supporters — plans to leave the administration next month. White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders says Manigault Newman's resignation is effective Jan. Source
  • Rock Hall 2018 class: Nina Simone, Bon Jovi, the Moody Blues

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK -- Iconic singer Nina Simone and New Jersey rockers Bon Jovi lead the 2018 class of Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees, which includes four first-time nominees. The Cars, as well as first-time contenders Dire Straits, The Moody Blues and Sister Rosetta Tharpe, also are part of the 2018 class announced Wednesday. Source
  • Anderson Cooper's Twitter account apparently hacked to call Trump 'pathetic loser'

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK - CNN says Anderson Cooper's Twitter account was hacked after a since-removed tweet from his handle called the president a "tool" and a "pathetic loser" following Democrat Doug Jones win in Alabama's Senate election. Source