'My article failed' Sean Penn says of 'El Chapo' interview

NEW YORK -- Sean Penn says his article on Mexican drug lord Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman "failed" in its mission.

See Full Article

Speaking to CBS' "60 Minutes," the actor said his intention in tracking down the escaped drug kingpin and writing about him for "Rolling Stone" was to kick-start a discussion of the U.S. government's policy on the War on Drugs.

But the public's attention has instead been focused on the fact that Penn found and met with Guzman for seven hours in a mountain hideout last October while he was still evading Mexican officials. He was apprehended only last week after six months on the run.

Excerpts from the interview with Penn were released Friday. The interview airs on "60 Minutes" Sunday.

Penn has been drawn into a controversy over whether he may have assisted in the recapture effort, or, conversely, may have prolonged the search by keeping silent until the article was published last week.

Penn said the Mexican government was "clearly very humiliated" but insisted he had played no role in Guzman's eventual recapture.

"We had met with him many weeks earlier," he says. "On October 2nd, in a place nowhere near where he was captured."

Guzman's reason for agreeing to meet with the Hollywood star was first explained as resulting from his interest in having a movie made about him. Then it seemed his interest was in a face-to-face encounter not with Penn, but with the contact who was bringing them together: Mexican actress Kate del Castillo, with whom Guzman openly flirted in recently published text messages.

For his part, Penn said he had only one true mission.

Guzman, he said, was someone through whom "I could begin a conversation about the policy of the war on drugs. That was my simple idea."

The Rolling Stone article set off a bombshell, including criticism over the magazine's willingness to give Guzman approval of the article before it was published.

There was also suspicion about Penn's qualifications as a Hollywood star, not an established journalist, to report such a big story.

"When you get the story that every journalist in the world wanted, there's a lot of green-eyed monsters who gonna come give you a kiss," said Penn, who believes Guzman gave him access because he's not a professional journalist.

In an email exchange with the Associated Press Monday about his meeting with Guzman, Penn said, "I've got nothin' to hide." But he told "60 Minutes" he has "a terrible regret."

"I have a regret that the entire discussion about this article ignores its purpose, which was to try to contribute to this discussion about the policy in the War on Drugs," Penn said.

"Let's go to the big picture of what we all want: We all want this drug problem to stop," he said, but added that the market for these illicit drugs includes many Americans. "There is a complicity there."

But what percentage of the discussion that resulted from the article has been focused on these larger issues?

"One percent - I think that'd be generous," Penn said. "Let me be clear. My article failed."



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • 'The Foundations' frontman Clem Curtis dead at 76

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Singer Clem Curtis has died at the age of 76. The Foundations frontman passed away on Monday . A cause of death has not been announced. Curtis began his career as a boxer in England, before moving into music as a singer in The Ramong Sound band. Source
  • Mira Sorvino surprises fans at 'Romy and Michele' screening

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Actress Mira Sorvino marked the 20th anniversary of her cult comedy Romy And Michele’s High School Reunion by making a surprise appearance at a fan screening in Los Angeles. The star stunned attendees at Saturday’s event at the Palace Theatre by joining screenwriter Robin Schiff to discuss the 1997 film, in which Sorvino and co-star Lisa Kudrow featured as slackers trying to convince their old classmates they had become huge successes. Source
  • Director Barry Jenkins to follow 'Moonlight' with 'The Underground Railroad'

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK -- "Moonlight" director Barry Jenkins will follow up his Oscar-winning film with a drama series for Amazon based on Colson Whitehead's "The Underground Railroad." Amazon announced Monday that it will develop the TV series, with Jenkins writing and directing the adaptation of the 2016 National Book Award winner. Source
  • First look at Alicia Vikander’s Lara Croft in Tomb Raider

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Alicia Vikander doesn’t mind getting her hands dirty. From the looks of two exclusive photos that appeared on Vanity Fair’s website Monday, the 28-year-old Oscar winner is going to have no problem mixing it up as Lara Croft in next year’s cinematic reboot of the Tomb Raider franchise. Source
  • Teen cancer patient dies days after FaceTime call with Beyonce

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    HOUSTON — A Houston high school student has lost her battle with terminal cancer days after having a dream come true in a talk with Beyonce over a video chat. Alief Independent School District spokeswoman Kimberly Smith says senior Ebony Banks died late Saturday night. Source
  • Colombia mad over Wiz Khalifa's visit to Pablo Escobar tomb

    Entertainment CTV News
    BOGOTA - American rapper Wiz Khalifa is stirring controversy in the South American nation of Colombia, where he laid flowers and smoked what looks like a joint at the tomb of cocaine kingpin Pablo Escobar. Source
  • ‘It’s really not up to me’: Chris Evans not ready to give up Captain America [Video]

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Chris Evans might not be ready to hang up his Captain America shield just yet. A recent cover story in Esquire magazine hinted that after he shoots Avengers 3 and 4, he’s finished with the Marvel character. Source
  • Punk legend Johnny Rotten supports Trump, Brexit vote

    Entertainment CTV News
    FILE - In this June 30, 2013, file photo, John Lydon performs with his band PiL at the Glastonbury Music Festival at Glastonbury, England. Lydon, whose also known by his stage name, Johnny Rotten, told ITV's 'Good Morning Britain' on March 27, 2017, that he supports U.S. Source
  • Prosecutors fight Cosby bid to query 2,000 potential jurors

    Entertainment CTV News
    PHILADELPHIA -- Prosecutors in Bill Cosby's sex assault case in Pennsylvania objected Monday to defence efforts to prescreen as many as 2,000 potential jurors. They also said in a court filing that the jury should be selected weeks before the scheduled June 5 trial so jurors can prepare to be sequestered nearly 300 miles away from home. Source
  • Maud Lewis painting found in southern Ontario thrift shop to be auctioned

    Entertainment CBC News
    A painting by Nova Scotia folk artist Maud Lewis has turned up in a southern Ontario thrift shop. Volunteers at the Mennonite Central Committee Thrift Centre in New Hamburg, Ont., southwest of Kitchener, came across the piece while sorting through donations. Source