Matt Damon leads Oscar push for Ridley Scott

PALM SPRINGS, Calif. -- Matt Damon launched a bold new phase of Oscar campaigning for his "The Martian" director on Saturday, telling a crowd that Ridley Scott has "given more than enough to cinema" over his career to deserve an Academy Award.

See Full Article

Damon spoke at the opening night gala for the Palm Springs International Film Festival, a non-televised black-tie dinner at the desert city's convention center. It's become a well-attended stop on the busy Hollywood awards circuit due to its timing during the Oscar nominations voting period and eight days before the Golden Globe Awards. Honorees Johnny Depp, Cate Blanchett, Christian Bale and Michael Fassbender also took the stage.

Damon said he was shocked to discover that the 78-year-old director of "Blade Runner" and "Alien" had never won an Oscar despite three nominations and his helming of 2001 best picture winner "Gladiator."

"He's just a master director. There are a handful of them on planet Earth. But he is one of them," Damon said. "Awards -- whatever, who gives a (expletive). I mean, except for this one. But ... I hope this is his year. I don't know if you're supposed to say that out loud. But ... when I did 'The Departed,' we said it out loud a lot about Marty (Scorsese) and it panned out."

Saturday's loose and sometimes coarse ceremony saw Depp praising his wife, actress Amber Heard, "for putting up with me" and Bale getting in a dig at the 2,000-plus attendees, which included socialites who sometimes chatted away at dinner tables during acceptance speeches.

"I've never been at a film festival that ignores the speakers so much as this film festival," said Bale, on stage with his "The Big Short" co-stars Steve Carell, Jeremy Strong and Finn Wittrock.

Cate Blanchett, being lauded for her performance in "Carol," was more magnanimous.

She thanked the festival, which runs through Jan. 11, "for reminding us -- all of us honored tonight -- that if we're not nominated for any other award not to feel like losers. We had a moment of glory."

The festival announced its awards ahead of time, minimizing anxiety for actors and allowing plenty of time for informal reunions. Depp hugged his "Finding Neverland" co-star Kate Winslet on the red carpet before the show. Damon walked backstage in conversation with Blanchett. The two shared the screen in "The Talented Mr. Ripley" and "The Monuments Men."

"Room" star Brie Larson and "Trumbo" star Bryan Cranston had both screened their personal movies at the festival years earlier. Cranston wrote and directed a feature, "Last Chance," that played Palm Springs in 1999. "I will forever be grateful to you for doing that for me. It launched a different phase of my career," he told the crowd.



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • Mel B on why she stormed off 'America's Got Talent': Simon Cowell's 'stupid' comments made me angry [Video]

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Mel B stormed off the America’s Got Talent live show on Tuesday night, after Simon Cowell made an insensitive joke about her marriage. The former Spice Girls star is currently going through a messy divorce with husband Stephen Belafonte. Source
  • Taylor Swift announces new album 'reputation' in November [Video]

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    NEW YORK — Yes, Taylor Swift fans, Wednesday was a lucky one for you. The pop star who whipped her army of Swifties into a frenzy with video snippets of slithery snake parts on social media posted the title of her new album, “reputation,” and announced on Instagram it will be out Nov. Source
  • ‘Hellboy’ casting prompts backlash over ‘whitewashing’

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    NEW YORK — A Hollywood film yet again finds itself responding to a social-media outcry over the casting of a Caucasian actor in a role that was originally Asian-American. British actor Ed Skrein earlier this week joined the cast of the “Hellboy” reboot “Rise of the Blood Queen. Source
  • The Joker origin movie in the works [Video]

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    The Hangover director is developing a new movie about the early years of Batman’s nemesis The Joker. Todd Phillips is in talks to co-write and direct an origin film for the DC Comics villain, which, according to Deadline, will not feature Jared Leto, who played the maniacal bad guy in last year’s Suicide Squad, and will reprise the role in the film’s sequel. Source
  • Sesame Street parodies 'Despacito' with 'El Patito'

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    This summer's smash hit just got the PG-treatment from Sesame Street. In a parody of the Luis Fonsi's hit, Ernie is sings about his pal Rubbie Duckie or El Patito ("that’s Spanish for rubber duckie”). Despacito, which features Justin Bieber, has become only the second song in history to spend 15 consecutive weeks at the top of the Billboard Hot 100 charts. Source
  • Taylor Swift ends intrigue, announces new album in November

    Entertainment CBC News
    Yes, Taylor Swift fans, Wednesday was a lucky one for you. The pop star who whipped her army of Swifties into a frenzy with video snippets of slithery snake parts on social media posted the title of her new album, reputation, and announced on Instagram it will be out Nov. Source
  • Taylor Swift announces new album 'reputation' in November

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    NEW YORK — Yes, Taylor Swift fans, Wednesday was a lucky one for you. The pop star who whipped her army of Swifties into a frenzy with video snippets of slithery snake parts on social media posted the title of her new album, “reputation,” and announced on Instagram it will be out Nov. Source
  • Invited to Calgary Pride after all by k.d. lang, Jason Kenney says he still won't go

    Entertainment CBC News
    Alberta crooner k.d. lang has invited Jason Kenney to Calgary's Pride festivities — but it appears he won't be attending. The country singer took to Twitter on Tuesday to offer Kenney — a leadership candidate for the province's new United Conservative Party — free tickets to a concert if he'd sit down and discuss LGBTQ rights with her. Source
  • Martin Lawrence doesn't think 'Bad Boys 3' will happen

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Martin Lawrence has some disappointing news for Bad Boys fans; he doesn’t think number three will ever happen. The actor starred in the first two instalments of Michael Bay’s cop franchise, alongside Will Smith, and rumours of a third movie entitled Bad Boys for Life have been swirling for years in Hollywood. Source
  • Controversial Edmonton photographer Con Boland dead at 69

    Entertainment CBC News
    Controversial Edmonton photographer Con Boland, whose life at times unfolded in public during a series of high-profile scandals, has died at the age of 69. Boland died Tuesday at 10 a.m. after suffering a heart attack. Source