Exhibitions in Milan and Paris celebrate Barbie

The legendary Barbara Millicent Roberts, better known as Barbie, will be celebrated in France and Italy this coming year in exhibitions -- in Milan at the Mudec (Museo delle culture) until March 13, and in Paris at the Musée des Arts Décoratifs, from March 10.

See Full Article

"Barbie - The Icon" until March 13 at the Museo Delle Culture in Milan

The Museo Delle Culture in Milan describes this Mattel doll, who is now 56, as "a global icon, who manages to knock down every linguistic, cultural, social and anthropological barrier". The Milanese museum pays homage to her in this exhibition which is divided into five sections. The first focuses on the strong link between Barbie and the world of fashion, and the second takes a look at her entourage, including the irreplaceable Ken. The exhibition also covers Barbie's 150+ careers, as well as her sisters from around the world dressed in fashionable local outfits. The last part of the exhibition shows Barbie in the form of celebrities and historical figures such as Cleopatra and Madame de Pompadour.

"Barbie" from March 10 to September 18, 2016, at the Musée des Arts Décoratifs in Paris

On the other side of the Alps, the Musée des Arts Décoratifs in Paris has announced that Barbara Roberts will have her first exhibition in a French museum. It will show Barbie as a symbol of the "American way of life". She will be seen to represent many contradictions -- the stereotype of the ideal woman as well as an autonomous and independent person. Using previously unseen Mattel archives, the museum will give us two interpretations of Barbie's life: as a well-known toy (from a child's perspective) and an historical and sociological figure (from an adult's perspective).



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • Oscar envelopes explained: How do presenters get the winning names?

    Entertainment CBC News
    Photos By Sandy Cohen, The Associated PressPosted: Feb 27, 2017 3:59 PM ETLast Updated: Feb 27, 2017 3:59 PM ET Source
  • In honour of #envelopegate, the 15 biggest Oscar shockers [Video]

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    La La Land mistakenly announced as Best Picture! It was really Moonlight! They got the wrong envelope! THE SKY IS FALLING!!! But not really. The ‘wrong envelope’ caper from Sunday’s Oscar broadcast (a.k.a. #envelopegate) isn’t even a first — that happened back in 1964 when Sammy Davis Jr. Source
  • Cut Warren Beatty a little slack after Oscars gaffe [Video]

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    “I got a feeling something went wrong and now I own a blind camel” — Warren Beatty as Lyle Rogers in Ishtar. Give Warren Beatty a break. The New York Daily News calls him “brain dead. Source
  • Game of Thrones giant, actor Neil Fingleton, dies at 36

    Entertainment CBC News
    Neil Fingleton, a seven-foot-seven-inch actor who played the giant Mag the Mighty in Game of Thrones, has died at 36. The Tall Persons Club says Fingleton, who was Britain's tallest man, died Saturday. British media reported the cause as heart failure. Source
  • A full list of Oscar winners at the 89th Academy Awards

    Entertainment CTV News
    Sorry ' La La Land,' but 'Moonlight' really won 'Call me': Steve Harvey to Warren Beatty after Oscars Best Picture flub Source
  • Willie Nelson, Kenny Chesney among those to honour Merle Haggard

    Entertainment CTV News
    NASHVILLE -- The late country star Merle Haggard will be honoured a year after his death with an all-star concert featuring his longtime friend and duet partner Willie Nelson as well as Kenny Chesney, Miranda Lambert, John Mellencamp and more. Source
  • Toronto film industry made $2B in 2016: Tory

    Entertainment CTV News
    Toronto's mayor says the film, television and digital industry spent $2 billion on productions in the city last year, topping the previous high of $1.5 billion in 2015. John Tory says $800 million of last year's total came from Los Angeles-based productions. Source
  • Serial burglar guilty of costly raid at Simon Cowell's home

    Entertainment CTV News
    LONDON -- A habitual burglar has been found guilty of stealing nearly 1 million pounds ($1.25 million) of jewelry from the home of entertainment mogul Simon Cowell. Darren February was convicted Monday at Isleworth Crown Court in London. Source
  • Historic mistake: How the Oscar flub stacks up against past mixups

    Entertainment CTV News
    The last time there was a mixup like Sunday night's Oscar fiasco, there were few feature-length colour films, no TVs and certainly no social media networks for people to vent their outrage. The disastrous "La La Land"-"Moonlight" mistake of 2017 is rivalled only by the Best Director debacle of 1934, at the sixth Academy Awards. Source
  • 'Warren, I know your pain:' Steve Harvey offers advice after Oscars snafu

    Entertainment CBC News
    If Warren Beatty needs someone to talk to following Sunday night's epic award mix-up at the Oscars, Steve Harvey has open ears. While hosting the Miss Universe pageant in 2015, Harvey accidently named the wrong woman as the winner during the live broadcast. Source