'Degrassi: Next Class' not going 'sensational' on Netflix, says creator

TORONTO -- Class is set to resume on a new incarnation of "Degrassi," this time on different platforms -- Family Channel in Canada and Netflix in the U.S.

See Full Article

While cast member Ana Golja says some of the content on "Degrassi: Next Class" is "a little more risque," the creators insist the show's Netflix foray hasn't affected the series in an extreme way.

"I don't want to make it feel like, 'Oh, we've gone to Netflix and we're going sensational,' because that is so not true," says series co-creator Linda Schuyler, who is also an executive producer.

"I think if anything, we're back to our real roots. We might have just shied away from them a little bit towards the end of 'Next Generation."'

"Degrassi: Next Class" premieres on Family Channel on Monday, during a teen block of programming called F2N, and on Netflix in the U.S., it will debut on Jan. 15.

The change comes after a 14-season run with Bell Media, ending in the summer with "Degrassi: The Next Generation" on MTV Canada.

"Being on Netflix and the teen block of Family Channel ... I think that's definitely given us some leeway in terms of our content and what subjects we can deal with and how explicit we can be," says Golja, 19, who was also in "The Next Generation" as former teen star Zoe Rivas.

Schuyler says they wanted the show to feel like it had been rebooted, but also contain the "basic principles of 'Degrassi' that you can find all through the 35 years of it."

"We wanted to make new fans feel like they could be welcome, that you didn't have to have seen the old show, you can come in and start from the beginning, start from the bottom," she says, playing on the "Started From the Bottom" song title of franchise alum Aubrey Graham, a.k.a. Drake.

"Or, if you are a fan of the show already, it'll still feel familiar to you as well as fresh."

Both Family and Netflix have given creators and writers much freedom, says Schuyler.

"Their attitude to working with us is, 'You are the people who are the experts, you've been doing this show long enough, we are not going to give you a lot of notes.' And that, I would say, has been very, very refreshing for myself and the writers.

"But I still feel tremendous responsibility, because I know I'm producing for a youth market and I know that our storytelling has to be responsible."

"Next Class" focuses on Generation Z and Schuyler says social media has provided "a plethora of great storylines" for the Emmy-nominated, Toronto-set series, from issues related to photo-sharing sites, to catfishing and cyber-bullying.

Other returning cast members include Ricardo Hoyos, Eric Osborne, Sara Waisglass, and Stefan Brogren. New faces include Amir Bageria, Chelsea Clark, and Dante Scott.

Schuyler surmises the show has resonated for so long because they have a roster of veteran and new writers, as well as an age-appropriate cast who have some input.

"We don't publish a single script here until the writers and the cast all sit down and read it together," says Schuyler.

"So by the writers being very diligent in keeping their ear and eye on the pulse of what's out there and with the genuine input from our cast, we keep ourselves in check."



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • 'The Great Wall' role never intended for Asian actor: Matt Damon

    Entertainment CTV News
    BEIJING - Matt Damon said Tuesday that his role in the new China-Hollywood production "The Great Wall" was always intended to be European, responding to criticism that an Asian actor should have been picked for the part. Source
  • Prosecutors can use Bill Cosby's deposition at trial, judge rules

    Entertainment CTV News
    PHILADELPHIA - Damaging testimony that Bill Cosby gave in an accuser's lawsuit, including admissions that he gave young women drugs and alcohol before sex, can be used at his sex assault trial, a judge ruled Monday. Source
  • Judge signs off on Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt custody agreement

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    A Los Angeles judge has officially approved Angelina Jolie’s temporary custody agreement with her estranged husband Brad Pitt. The former couple appeared to be gearing up for a custody battle in September, after Jolie filed for divorce to end her two-year marriage to Pitt and requested sole physical custody of their six children, ranging in age from eight to 15. Source
  • Jessica Williams, Cate Blanchett star in Sundance permieres

    Entertainment CTV News
    LOS ANGELES - Former "Daily Show" correspondent Jessica Williams flexes her dramatic chops, Cate Blanchett pays homage to great 20th century artists and "Silicon Valley" star Kumail Nanjiani tells a very personal story in some of the films premiering at the 2017 Sundance Film Festival. Source
  • Jessica Williams, Cate Blanchett star in Sundance premieres

    Entertainment CTV News
    LOS ANGELES - Former "Daily Show" correspondent Jessica Williams flexes her dramatic chops, Cate Blanchett pays homage to great 20th century artists and "Silicon Valley" star Kumail Nanjiani tells a very personal story in some of the films premiering at the 2017 Sundance Film Festival. Source
  • Prosecutors can use Bill Cosby’s deposition at trial judge says

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    PHILADELPHIA — Damaging testimony that Bill Cosby gave in an accuser’s lawsuit, including admissions that he gave young women drugs and alcohol before sex, can be used at his sex assault trial, a judge ruled Monday. The defence has insisted Cosby testified only after being promised he would never be charged over his 2004 encounter with accuser Andrea Constand. Source
  • Lady Gaga reveals she suffers from PTSD: 'I've never told anyone that before'

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Lady Gaga has been secretly suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) ever since she was raped at the age of 19. The Perfect Illusion hitmaker has been candid about her sex assault since going public with the news in 2014, revealing she was attacked by a producer at the start of her music career. Source
  • Director Bernardo Bertolucci tries to clear up 'Last Tango in Paris' controversy

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Filmmaker Bernardo Bertolucci has clarified controversial remarks he made about a rape scene in his film Last Tango In Paris, insisting late actress Maria Schneider was aware she would be taking part in the violent scene with Marlon Brando. Source
  • Where does 'Westworld' go from here? And other questions about the season finale

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    "Westworld" ended its season on a strange note. The episode was not exactly a cliffhanger, but it also did not offer much in the way of closure. The final moments were not unlike another story of A.I. Source
  • Jimmy Kimmel to host Academy Awards

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    NEW YORK — The Oscars finally have a host: Jimmy Kimmel will emcee the 89th Academy Awards. Kimmel will be hosting the show for the first time, the Academy of Motion Pictures said Monday. In September, he hosted the Emmy Awards for the second time. Source