George Lucas sorry for saying he sold 'Star Wars' to 'white slavers' at Disney

LOS ANGELES -- George Lucas has apologized for criticizing Disney's handling of "Star Wars" and saying he had sold his characters to "white slavers" in a recent interview with Charlie Rose.

See Full Article

In a statement issued Thursday, Lucas says he misspoke and used a "very inappropriate analogy." It was not clear what the "Star Wars" creator meant by the "white slavers" comment, and Rose did not ask a follow-up question on his PBS show that aired Dec. 24. The charged words nonetheless sparked ire when the interview was posted online Wednesday.

"I rarely go out with statements to clarify my feelings but I feel it is important to make it clear that I am thrilled that Disney has the franchise and is moving it in such exciting directions," said Lucas in his statement.

He sold his company, Lucasfilm, to the Walt Disney Co. in 2012 for $4.06 billion, and the studio charged ahead in developing "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" with director J.J. Abrams and Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy. Disney has laid plans for two more "Star Wars" films and three anthology films set in the Star Wars universe over the next few years.

Lucas discussed his decision to stay out of the new installments in the hour-long interview with Rose and had criticized Disney's retro, fan-centric approach to "The Force Awakens." The interview was conducted prior to the Dec. 14 premiere of the film, where Disney chairman and CEO Bob Iger thanked Lucas, who was in attendance, for his "sheer genius" in creating "Star Wars."

"The Force Awakens" plays homage to Lucas' original trilogy and has garnered largely positive reviews from fans and critics alike. After less than two weeks in theatres, it has already become the eighth highest grossing film of all time globally.

"I have been working with Disney for 40 years and chose them as the custodians of 'Star Wars' because of my great respect for the company and Bob Iger's leadership," said Lucas in his Thursday statement. "Disney is doing an incredible job of taking care of and expanding the franchise."



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • Woman accuses R. Kelly of sex abuse

    Entertainment CBC News
    A woman has filed a lawsuit against R. Kelly, accusing the singer of sexual battery, knowingly infecting her with herpes and locking her in rooms for punishment. Faith Rodgers says in the suit filed Monday in New York that she met Kelly about a year ago after a concert in San Antonio, Texas. Source
  • Watchdog group calls on Netflix to pull 13 Reasons Why

    Entertainment CBC News
    A media watchdog group is calling on Netflix to pull its 13 Reasons Why series because of potentially harmful content. The Parents Television Council describes the second season of the series as "a ticking time bomb to teens and children. Source
  • GLAAD study finds LGBTQ representation in film fell in 2017

    Entertainment CTV News
    LOS ANGELES -- Despite high-profile Oscar wins for art house films like "Call Me By Your Name" and "A Fantastic Woman," LGBTQ representation in films from the seven biggest Hollywood studios fell significantly in 2017 according to a study released Tuesday by the advocacy organization GLAAD. Source
  • Kathy Griffin keeping her head up with world comedy tour

    Entertainment CTV News
    Comedian Kathy Griffin is turning to the friendly grounds of Canada for her world redemption tour after landing squarely in the crosshairs of U.S. President Donald Trump, Trump nation, and even her own mother. Griffin, 57, found herself in hot water last year when she posted a mock photo of herself with a ketchup-drenched Halloween mask made to look like the severed head of Donald Trump. Source
  • Judge authorizes class-action against former impresario Gilbert Rozon

    Entertainment CTV News
    MONTREAL -- Quebec Superior Court has authorized a class-action lawsuit against former Just For Laughs head Gilbert Rozon. Several women sought permission last fall to file the suit against the co-founder of the popular comedy festival for alleged sexual assault and harassment. Source
  • Avicii's family says DJ-producer's funeral will be private

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK -- The family of late Swedish DJ-producer Avicii says his funeral will be private. In a statement released Tuesday, Avicii's family says the funeral will include "people who were closest" to the performer. Source
  • Mulroney takes pride in his kids' 'joyful' wedding performances

    Entertainment CTV News
    Ben Mulroney says he and his wife Jessica resorted to months and months of “bribery and mild threatening” in the hopes of good behaviour from their three children who played a big role in Saturday’s wedding of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle. Source
  • Robert Indiana, known for LOVE series, dies at 89

    Entertainment CBC News
    Pop artist Robert Indiana, best known for his 1960s "LOVE" series, has died at his island home off the coast of Maine. He was 89. Indiana died on Saturday from respiratory failure at his Victorian home in a converted Odd Fellows hall, a fraternal order lodge, where he had lived for years on Vinalhaven Island, said James Brannan, his attorney. Source
  • Actress who accused Weinstein needs money to finish film

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK -- Actress Paz de la Huerta has started a crowdfunding campaign to finish a movie she began making years before she publicly accused Harvey Weinstein of rape. The movie "Valley of Tears" is her take on the Hans Christian Andersen story "The Red Shoes," about a little girl with a pair of enchanted shoes. Source
  • Reese Witherspoon launching audiobook project

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK -- Reese Witherspoon is launching another literary project. The Oscar-winning actress is collaborating with the audio producer-distributor Audible on audio editions of works highlighted in her Hello Sunshine book club. Witherspoon has recommended Curtis Sittenfeld's story collection "You Think It, I'll Say It" and other works by women. Source