Attorneys for Bill Cosby sex accuser defending defamation lawsuit

PITTSBURGH -- Attorneys for a western Pennsylvania woman who contends Bill Cosby repeatedly drugged and had sex with her in the 1980s have filed a response to Cosby's attempt to have a federal judge dismiss her defamation lawsuit against him.

See Full Article

Cosby's attorneys last week asked a federal court judge in Pittsburgh to dismiss the lawsuit filed in October by Renita Hill.

Hill sued claiming Cosby made her out to be a "liar" and "extortionist" when the comedian, his wife and his attorney issued blanket denials to claims that Cosby drugged and sexually molested several women shortly after Hill went public with her allegations in November 2014.

Cosby's attorneys claimed the denials constitute opinions that are protected by the First Amendment. But Hill's attorneys said Tuesday that those opinion were based on "undisclosed facts" -- namely, the implication that Hill is lying.

"Such facts include the implication that Plaintiff (Hill) knew she had not been assaulted and that she is an opportunistic liar who is attempting to extort money from Cosby," Hill's attorneys wrote in their 18-page response filed Tuesday.

Cosby's attorneys didn't immediately respond to the filing.

Hill, of Baldwin, sued claiming Cosby drugged and had sex with her several times after they met on a children's educational TV show.

She went public with her allegations in a television interview in late 2014 because she was "emboldened" after other women began renewing similar allegations against Cosby, her attorneys have said.

Cosby has yet to respond specifically to Hill's allegations that he drugged and had sex with her several times after they met on the TV show, "Picture Pages," in 1983. Hill claims that went on for about four years, starting when she was 16, and that Cosby helped pay for her college and would fly her to cities where he was performing and provide her with hotel rooms where he'd have sex with her, until she cut off contact with him.

But she contends statements from Cosby and his camp -- including a statement given to the Washington Post the day after her TV interview by Cosby attorney Martin Singer -- pertain to her.

Among other things, that statement said, "There has never been a shortage of lawyers willing to represent people with claims against rich, powerful men, so it makes no sense that not one of these new women who just came forward now for the first time ever asserted a legal claim back at the time they allege they had been sexually assaulted."

Cosby's attorneys argued that Hill couldn't be defamed by the blanket denials because none of them specifically referenced her, and that, even if they did, the statements weren't made with "actual malice" and concern a public figure -- Hill -- embroiled in a public controversy.

But Hill's attorneys contend it's reasonable to infer that the various Cosby denials refer to her because "she was a member of a very small group of women to whom the statements could possibly be directed."

Also, they contend Hill isn't a "public figure" despite the publicity her allegations and others have generated because the public didn't have a stake in the outcome of the controversy, the filing said.

Cosby's attorneys have until Jan. 5 to respond to Hill's filing.

U.S. District Judge Arthur Schwab has not scheduled a hearing on the motion to dismiss the lawsuit and can choose to decide the matter on the written arguments alone.



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • Victory for 'Dunkirk' and 'Girls Trip' at box office

    Entertainment CTV News
    LOS ANGELES -- It's victory for "Dunkirk" at the box office this weekend. Studios on Sunday say the Christopher Nolan World War II epic earned an estimated $50.5 million to top the charts, with $11.7 million of that coming from IMAX screens. Source
  • Charlize Theron talks equal pay, female action stars at Comic-Con

    Entertainment CTV News
    SAN DIEGO -- Charlize Theron has a message to audiences: See female-driven movies, and studios will make more. "I always say to studios, 'Make more female-driven movies,' " Theron said. "They said, 'We would if people go and see them. Source
  • Chicago festival marking Pokemon Go anniversary goes awry

    Entertainment CBC News
    A major Pokemon Go festival in Chicago Saturday to celebrate the one-year anniversary of the virtual game went badly awry when technical glitches prevented many fans from logging on. The problems forced Niantic Inc., the developer of the wildly popular augmented reality game, to issue a statement saying everyone who registered for the event would get a full refund for the $20 tickets and $100 in credits for use of the app. Source
  • Black Panther cast members reveal new details about film

    Entertainment CBC News
    Black Panther stole the show Saturday night at Marvel Studios' Comic-Con presentation, outshining the Ant-Man, Thor and even the ultimate Avengers team-up, Infinity War. Fans went wild for the exclusive sneak peek at the upcoming superhero pic, featuring star Chadwick Boseman T'Challa intercepting a sketchy vibranium trade between Andy Serkis' Klaw and Martin Freeman's Everett. Source
  • Hilary Duff's apartment broken into, jewelry stolen after she posted vacation pics from Canada

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Hilary Duff has reportedly lost hundreds of thousands of dollars in jewellery after thieves broke in to her apartment. The multi-talented singer and actress is believed to have been targeted after posting pictures of her holiday on Instagram, making eagle-eyed robbers aware that her Beverly Hills apartment was empty while she was on vacation. Source
  • Prince William, Harry regret final rushed conversation with Diana

    Entertainment CBC News
    Britain's Prince William and Harry have spoken of their regret over the last conversation they had with their mother Princess Diana before she died, saying the telephone call was "desperately rushed". In a documentary called Diana, Our Mother: Her Life and Legacy timed to coincide with the 20th anniversary of Diana's death in a Paris car crash on Aug. Source
  • Prince William, Prince Harry regret final rushed conversation with Diana

    Entertainment CBC News
    Britain's Prince William and Harry have spoken of their regret over the last conversation they had with their mother Princess Diana before she died, saying the telephone call was "desperately rushed". In a documentary called Diana, Our Mother: Her Life and Legacy timed to coincide with the 20th anniversary of Diana's death in a Paris car crash on Aug. Source
  • ‘Ballers’, ‘Room 104’ and ‘Puss in Boots’ top this week’s TV must-sees

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Ballers Season Premiere Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson returns to his role as retired athlete turned financial manager when the series picks up where it left off. Spencer Strasmore is looking for more high-profile clients to pay off the debt he’s racked up. Source
  • Marvel bewitches Comic-Con with 'Black Panther' and 'Thor: Ragnarok'

    Entertainment CTV News
    SAN DIEGO -- "Black Panther" stole the show Saturday night at Marvel Studios' Comic-Con presentation, outshining the Ant-Man, Thor and even the ultimate Avengers team-up, "Infinity War." Fans went wild for the exclusive sneak peek at the upcoming superhero pic, featuring star Chadwick Boseman T'Challa intercepting a sketchy vibranium trade between Andy Serkis' Klaw and Martin Freeman's Everett. Source
  • Warner Bros. previews D.C.'s Justice League at Comic-Con as Affleck shuts down exit rumours

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    SAN DIEGO — Ben Affleck is still Batman. The actor shot down rumours that he would be hanging up his cape for the stand-alone Batman film, even though he recently ceded directing responsibilities. Speaking to a crowd of about 6,500 fans at San Diego Comic-Con, Affleck unequivocally assured the crowd that he is still starring in “The Batman. Source