'Star Wars' producer calls movie's success 'a huge surprise'

SHANGHAI -- The latest Star Wars movie broke the $1 billion mark before fans in China could see it, but producers anticipate "The Force Awakens" will play "very very well" in the world's second-biggest film market.

See Full Article

The film opens in China on Jan. 9.

Director J.J. Abrams watched the Chinese premiere in Shanghai with a Chinese audience Sunday night. He told a news conference Monday that he was thrilled to see people "laughing and cheering in exactly the same places that we've seen other audiences."

"It's a testament to the power of cinema, that it does not matter where you're from, you can get caught up in a story," Abrams said.

"Star Wars: The Force Awakens" took 12 days to earn $1 billion worldwide, becoming the fastest movie to achieve such a feat. The previous movie to reach $1 billion the fastest was "Jurassic World," which did it in 13 days in June -- and which had the benefit of record grosses in China.

"Star Wars" producer Kathleen Kennedy said the movie's success to date was "a huge surprise."

"We certainly hoped for enormous success but I think the fact that we crossed the billion-dollars ... it's almost so overwhelming it's difficult to really process just what the response has been to the movie so far, and it hasn't even opened here yet," she said.

"Certainly we're hoping and anticipating that it will play very very well here."

The Chinese market has become increasingly important for Hollywood as revenues from movie theatres stagnate at home. Some movies have incorporated Chinese characters or stories to try to appeal to the Chinese movie-going audience.

Asked whether "Star Wars" movies would do the same in the future, Kennedy said they had just finished shooting "Rogue One," the first stand alone "Star Wars" story. Hong Kong martial arts actor Donnie Yen and Chinese actor and director Jiang Wen have roles in it.

"They play wonderful characters and certainly there are many mythologies inside Chinese literature that I know we can explore in the future and find ways in which we can integrate some of those stories into the Star Wars universe," said Kennedy.



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • Antonio Banderas says he's recovered from a heart attack

    Entertainment CTV News
    MADRID -- Spanish film star Antonio Banderas says he has recovered from a heart attack that he had in January. The 56-year-old Banderas tells Spanish media that "I suffered a heart attack on Jan. Source
  • Keira Knightley thought 'Pirates' franchise would be a 'disaster'

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Director Richard Curtis has recalled how Keira Knightley once worried Pirates Of The Caribbean would be “a disaster”. In an op-ed for the Radio Times magazine on Friday, Curtis shared that the actress still wasn’t sold on the idea of the pirate franchise after she had finished working on his 2003 romantic comedy Love Actually. Source
  • One Direction's Liam Payne becomes a dad

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    One Direction star Liam Payne is a new dad following the birth of his first son. The singer and his girlfriend, former Girls Aloud star Cheryl Cole, have confirmed the happy news about the baby boy, who arrived on Wednesday. Source
  • Woody done with weed

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Is what Woody Harrelson said in a vulture.com interview true? Has the one true Prince of Pot (sorry, Mark Emery) given up smoking marijuana for more than a year and counting? “Who’s next? Willie Nelson? Snoop Dogg?” asks filmmaker Ron Mann. Source
  • 'Justice League' trailer suggests film will be lighter in tone than 'Batman v Superman'

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    The Justice League is coming together — literally — in the new trailer for the superhero film, which finds Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Cyborg and the Flash teaming up for the first time ever on the big screen. Source
  • 'I’m the schmuck who landed on the taxiway': Harrison Ford says he was distracted when he flew over plane

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    LOS ANGELES — Actor Harrison Ford said he was distracted and concerned about turbulence from another aircraft last month when he mistakenly landed on a taxiway at a Southern California airport after flying low over an airliner with 116 people aboard, according to an audio recording released Friday. Source
  • Mindy Kaling's Newark joke leads to dinner with U.S. politician Cory Booker

    Entertainment CBC News
    A joke about Newark, New Jersey, on The Mindy Project led to dinner plans between U.S. Sen. Cory Booker and star Mindy Kaling. Her character joked after hearing that Booker had come to her colleague's event that "I guess anything to get out of Newark, huh?" Source
  • Adam Sandler continues as Netflix's biggest star

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    NEW YORK — Netflix is doubling down on Adam Sandler. The streaming giant has extended its deal with the comedian for four more feature films. As part of a previous four-movie deal, Sandler has already produced and starred in two films for Netflix. Source
  • Public memorial service to honour Carrie Fisher, Debbie Reynolds

    Entertainment CBC News
    Stars and fans will gather Saturday for a public memorial to honour late actresses Debbie Reynolds and Carrie Fisher nearly three months after their deaths. The ceremony honouring the lives of the mother-daughter duo will be held at Forest Lawn-Hollywood Hills, the storied cemetery that is their final resting place. Source
  • Fans, friends remember Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds at public memorial

    Entertainment CBC News
    Stars and fans will gather Saturday for a public memorial to honour late actresses Debbie Reynolds and Carrie Fisher nearly three months after their deaths. The ceremony honouring the lives of the mother-daughter duo will be held at Forest Lawn-Hollywood Hills, the storied cemetery that is their final resting place. Source