Steve Harvey apologize for mistakenly crowning Colombia at Miss Universe pageant

NEW YORK -- The Miss Universe pageant and host Steve Harvey doubled down on the apologies Monday after an excruciating live television moment -- announcing incorrectly that Miss Colombia had won and then taking the crown from her head to give to a rival from the Philippines.

See Full Article

The fallout from Sunday's show made Harvey an online symbol of "oops" moments, drew a reaction from Colombia's president and even a gloating tweet from Donald Trump, the pageant's former owner.

As televised on Fox, the contest was down to Ariadna Gutierrez Arevalo of Colombia and Pia Alonzo Wurtzbach of the Philippines when Harvey, a first-time Miss Universe host, proclaimed Gutierrez the winner after a long dramatic pause.

Music swelled, Gutierrez was fitted for a sash, given flowers and a crown was placed on her head. That made it two straight Miss Universe winners for Colombia, where the pageants are taken seriously. She bathed in applause for nearly two minutes before Harvey slowly made his way back onto the stage.

"I have to apologize," he said. "The first runner-up is Colombia."

The camera switched to a bewildered-looking Wurtzbach, who came back on the stage to get the crown as the same celebratory music repeated. Harvey said she'd be taking her first walk as Miss Universe, but mostly she stood immobile. A woman stood in between the two contestants, trying to comfort Arevalo by rubbing her back.

Two minutes later, the comedian who hosts his own daytime talk show as well as the game show "Family Feud" returned, saying "let me just take control of this."

Harvey explained on the air that he misread the card he was given with the names of the winners. Colombia was listed as the first runner-up, and he'd been confused with how it was written. He held up the card for the camera.

"It is my mistake," he said. "Still, it's a great night. Please don't hold it against the ladies. We feel very badly, but it's still a great night."

Harvey later tweeted an apology to the women and viewers. "I feel terrible," he wrote. The Miss Universe organization also issued an apology on Monday.

Wurtzbach later said she was happy to win, but confused and concerned for her rival. She said she tried to approach her backstage, but the Colombian contestant was crying and surrounded by a crowd of women.

"I did not take the crown from her," Wurtzbach said.

Celebrations quickly turned to anger in Colombia, where the hashtag "Respect the Crown" was the country's top trending topic on Twitter. Even the president was upset.

"They put the crown on her head," President Juan Manuel Santos said Monday. "The photos are there to prove it. To me, as a Colombian, she is still Miss Universe."

It was the pageant's first time on Fox, and the Nielsen company said the contest was seen in the United States by 6.2 million people -- strong numbers for the network. The previous Miss Universe on NBC, in January, reached 7.7 million people.

NBC dumped the pageant after Trump, its then-owner, angered many Latinos with comments about immigration. Trump subsequently sold the pageant and tweeted after the flub that it "would never have happened" on his watch. He retweeted someone else's comment that Trump must be happy that the pageant had gone "off the rails" after he sold it.

He softened his tone in an interview on NBC's Today Show, calling Harvey a "great guy" who handled it well. Trump said if he were still in charge of the show, he would make the women share the title.

"Things happen," he said. "It's live television."

Harvey, the comedian, found himself the butt of Internet jokes Monday. One prominent post showed his smiling face under the headline: "Happy Friday!" followed by "Wait, sorry, it's Monday."

Last year, the winner of the Miss Florida pageant had to give back her crown following a vote-tabulation error that was noticed days later. And a transcribing error caused the wrong author's name to be announced for a National Book Award in 2011. Neither event happened on live television, however.

------

Associated Press writers Kimberly Pierceall in Las Vegas, Jacobo Garcia in Bogota, Colombia, Tony Winton in Orlando, Florida, and Hillel Italie in New York contributed to this report.



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • Magician Penn Jillette of 'Penn & Teller' apologizes for calling Newfoundland 'stupid'

    Entertainment CTV News
    LOS ANGELES -- Celebrity magician Penn Jillette has apologized after Newfoundlanders took him to task for insulting their intelligence on a talk show. Jillette, half of the comedic magic duo "Penn & Teller," said his family likely comes from Newfoundland, which he described as being a "euphemism for stupid". Source
  • Magician Penn Jillette apologizes for calling Newfoundland 'stupid'

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    LOS ANGELES — Celebrity magician Penn Jillette has apologized after Newfoundlanders took him to task for insulting their intelligence on a talk show. Jillette, half of the comedic magic duo “Penn & Teller,” said his family likely comes from Newfoundland, which he described as being a “euphemism for stupid”. Source
  • Judge refuses to end Roman Polanski sex assault case

    Entertainment CBC News
    A Los Angeles judge on Friday denied the impassioned plea of Roman Polanski's victim to end a four-decade-old sexual assault case against the fugitive director. Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Scott Gordon ruled that Polanski must return to California if he expects to resolve charges of sexually abusing a teen. Source
  • Ryan Phillippe threatens social media imposters soliciting donations

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Ryan Phillippe has warned fans not to be fooled by scammers posing as the actor online, urging them to beware of imposters soliciting donations for charity. The Cruel Intentions star took to Twitter on Friday to send out the alert, insisting any Facebook accounts set up in his name are fake. Source
  • 5 best 'Game of Thrones' battle scenes — so far

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Game of Thrones’ stunning Loot Train Battle was certainly one of the standout scenes during seven seasons on the HBO series. But was it the very best of the major battles that we've witnessed? With the final two episodes of Season 7 promising to be an epic showdown between Jon Snow, Cersei and Daenerys against the Army of the Undead, here's the definitive ranking of the major GoT battles thus far. Source
  • Madonna doesn't want deposition on auction of her dirty underwear taped

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Madonna has asked a judge to block cameras from videotaping a deposition in her lawsuit over the online auction of her personal items. The Material Girl hitmaker filed suit against bosses at Gotta Have It! Collectibles and her former friend, art consultant Darlene Lutz, last week, claiming items hitting the auction block had been wrongfully taken from her. Source
  • Robin Thicke, Paula Patton end custody battle

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Robin Thicke and his ex Paula Patton have reportedly resolved their custody issues by reaching a new agreement. The Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol beauty legally regained her single status in 2015, a year after her separation from Thicke, but at the start of 2017, the former couple became embroiled in a nasty court fight over the care of its seven-year-old son, Julian. Source
  • First official details of 'Deadpool 2' stuntwoman's downtown Vancouver death released by WorkSafeBC [Video]

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    A woman who was killed on a stunt during filming of the movie Deadpool 2 went outside the planned boundaries of the stunt, according to an initial report by WorkSafeBC released on Friday. The report of the death of motorcycle driver Joi “S.J. Source
  • Stratford Festival explores painful chapter of Canada's past in The Komagata Maru Incident

    Entertainment CBC News
    The Stratford Festival is revisiting a painful chapter in Canada's history with The Komagata Maru Incident, but the show's stars say it is vital to continue addressing the issues at the core of the century-old story. Source
  • Judge rejects Roman Polanski victim's bid to end case

    Entertainment CTV News
    LOS ANGELES -- A Los Angeles judge has denied the impassioned plea of Roman Polanski's victim to end the criminal case against the fugitive director. Judge Scott Gordon ruled Friday Polanski must appear in a Los Angeles court if he expects to have his four-decade-old case resolved. Source