Bill Cosby sues model Beverly Johnson over claims comedian drugged her in 1980s

LOS ANGELES -- Bill Cosby sued supermodel Beverly Johnson for defamation on Monday, calling her a liar over her claims that the comedian drugged and attempted to sexually assault her in the 1980s.

See Full Article

Cosby's lawsuit contends Johnson has been using the story to try to rekindle her career.

Johnson's "false allegations against Mr. Cosby have been the centerpiece of her attempted resurgence and she has played them to the hilt, repeatedly and maliciously publishing the false accusations in articles, interviews, and television appearances," Cosby's lawsuit states.

It seeks unspecified damages and an injunction preventing the model from repeating her claims that the comedian drugged her with a cappuccino in his New York home in the 1980s. Johnson, 63, first described the incident in a piece for Vanity Fair magazine, and has recounted it and her angry reaction to Cosby in several interviews and a memoir released in August.

A call to Johnson's publicist Ann-Marie Nieves was not immediately returned.

Cosby's lawsuit states that a dinner described by Johnson was attended by his wife and he never spent time alone with the supermodel.

Cosby's response comes in the wake of counterclaims his attorneys filed last week in a Massachusetts federal court against seven women who are suing him there for defamation. Those women contend Cosby defamed them by allowing his representatives to brand them as liars.

In the countersuit, Cosby claims the women made "malicious, opportunistic, and false and defamatory accusations" of sexual misconduct against him that are "nothing more than an opportunistic attempt to extract financial gain from him."

The lawsuit against Johnson is the latest legal salvo from Cosby, who is a defendant in five civil cases filed in Los Angeles, Massachusetts and Pittsburgh. Since late 2014, more than 50 women -- most of whom have not sued -- have accused the comedian of sexual abuse dating back decades. Cosby has never been criminally charged.

Cosby's attorneys on Friday asked a federal judge to dismiss a lawsuit by Renita Hill, who lives near Pittsburgh and has accused the comedian of drugging and having sex with her several times after they met on a children's educational TV show in 1983.

She went public with her allegations in a KDKA-TV news interview on Nov. 20, 2014 and contends blanket denials that Cosby sexually abused women issued since by the comedian, his wife and his attorney make Hill out to be a "liar" and an "extortionist."

Cosby's attorneys noted that those denials didn't refer to Hill by name or otherwise identify her. And even if they did, they are protected speech, they contend.

That's because statements that Cosby's accusers have engaged in "innuendo" or are otherwise motivated by greed are mere opinions, according to Hill's legal request to dismiss the lawsuit.

"Opinion, as a matter of law, is constitutionally protected and cannot support a plaintiff's defamation claim," the request says.

"None of what's in Cosby's motion is of any surprise at all. These are the legal arguments we expected of him," Hill's attorney, George Kontos, said in an email Monday "Renita's claims are viable both from a factual and legal standpoint, and we look forward to setting forth our position in the brief we will be filing with the court."

Cosby, 78, has yet to respond publicly to Hill's allegations that he drugged and had sex with her several times after they met on the TV show, "Picture Pages," in 1983. Hill claims that went on for about four years, starting when she was 16, and that Cosby helped pay for her college and would fly her to cities where he was performing and provide her with hotel rooms where he'd have sex with her, until she cut off contact with him.

------

Writer Joe Mandak contributed to this report from Pittsburgh.



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • 5 best 'Game of Thrones' battle scenes — so far

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Game of Thrones’ stunning Loot Train Battle was certainly one of the standout scenes during seven seasons on the HBO series. But was it the very best of the major battles that we've witnessed? With the final two episodes of Season 7 promising to be an epic showdown between Jon Snow, Cersei and Daenerys against the Army of the Undead, here's the definitive ranking of the major GoT battles thus far. Source
  • Madonna doesn't want deposition on auction of her dirty underwear taped

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Madonna has asked a judge to block cameras from videotaping a deposition in her lawsuit over the online auction of her personal items. The Material Girl hitmaker filed suit against bosses at Gotta Have It! Collectibles and her former friend, art consultant Darlene Lutz, last week, claiming items hitting the auction block had been wrongfully taken from her. Source
  • Robin Thicke, Paula Patton end custody battle

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Robin Thicke and his ex Paula Patton have reportedly resolved their custody issues by reaching a new agreement. The Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol beauty legally regained her single status in 2015, a year after her separation from Thicke, but at the start of 2017, the former couple became embroiled in a nasty court fight over the care of its seven-year-old son, Julian. Source
  • First official details of 'Deadpool 2' stuntwoman's downtown Vancouver death released by WorkSafeBC [Video]

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    A woman who was killed on a stunt during filming of the movie Deadpool 2 went outside the planned boundaries of the stunt, according to an initial report by WorkSafeBC released on Friday. The report of the death of motorcycle driver Joi “S.J. Source
  • Stratford Festival explores painful chapter of Canada's past in The Komagata Maru Incident

    Entertainment CBC News
    The Stratford Festival is revisiting a painful chapter in Canada's history with The Komagata Maru Incident, but the show's stars say it is vital to continue addressing the issues at the core of the century-old story. Source
  • Judge rejects Roman Polanski victim's bid to end case

    Entertainment CTV News
    LOS ANGELES -- A Los Angeles judge has denied the impassioned plea of Roman Polanski's victim to end the criminal case against the fugitive director. Judge Scott Gordon ruled Friday Polanski must appear in a Los Angeles court if he expects to have his four-decade-old case resolved. Source
  • Arnold Schwarzenegger releases video calling out President Trump over Charlottesville response

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Arnold Schwarzenegger is blasting Donald Trump for his response to the white supremacist and Neo-Nazi rally in Virginia, insisting it’s the U.S. President’s job to condemn the bigotry. The Republican leader has come under fire for failing to call out the hate groups after a march in Charlottesville over the removal of a Confederate soldier statue turned violent last weekend. Source
  • Robin Thicke, girlfriend expecting baby on Alan Thicke's birthday

    Entertainment CBC News
    Robin Thicke's girlfriend is pregnant, and their baby is due on the birthday of Thicke's late father, actor Alan Thicke. April Love Geary made the announcement on Instagram on Thursday alongside a sonogram image. She writes that "the due date is March 1st, Alan's birthday!" The actor died in December at age 69. Source
  • Lady Antebellum have jam session with Eric Stonestreet at concert

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Lady Antebellum welcomed a surprise guest onstage in Missouri on Thursday as Modern Family star Eric Stonestreet put his drumming skills to the test. The Need You Now hitmakers took their You Look Good World Tour to the Sprint Center in Kansas City on Thursday night, and Eric was among the fans who turned out for the concert in his hometown. Source
  • Investigators release details of 'Deadpool 2' stuntwoman's death

    Entertainment CTV News
    VANCOUVER -- British Columbia's workplace safety agency has released the first official account of a "Deadpool 2" stuntwoman's death, saying SJ Harris was thrown off a motorcycle and propelled through a plate glass window. The initial incident report issued by WorkSafeBC confirms witness accounts and adds new details to Monday's tragic accident in Vancouver during filming of the sequel to the popular superhero movie. Source