Miss Universe beauty pageant down to 15 contestants

LAS VEGAS -- Donald Trump's pageant days are over after his controversial comments about immigrants created a backlash, but the Miss Universe show must go on.

See Full Article

The pageant that pits international beauties against one another returned to Las Vegas on Sunday to crown a winner on a new network, with a new Spanish-language broadcaster and a new pageant owner beginning with an elaborate costume contest inspired by the women's countries.

Miss Universe was already winnowed down to 15 contestants by early Sunday evening including the 24-year-old woman representing Mexico who had threatened not to participate at the time Trump still co-owned the pageant.

Trump sold the pageant in September and Wendy Esparza of Mexico reconsidered saying on her Instagram account that "love and respect between individuals and countries will always be more powerful than hatred."

The other 15 contestants vying for the crown represent the United States, Brazil, Australia, Indonesia, the Dominican Republic, Philippines, France, Curacao, Belgium, Japan, Venezuela, South Africa, Colombia and Thailand.

The competition started with women representing 80 countries between the ages of 19 and 27. For the first time, viewers at home will get to weigh in, with their votes being tallied in addition to four in-person celebrity judges.

NBCUniversal and Trump co-owned the Miss Universe Organization until earlier this year. The real-estate developer offended Hispanics in June when he made anti-immigrant remarks in announcing his Republican presidential run.

That led Spanish-language network Univision to pull out of the broadcast for what would have been the first of five years airing the pageants and NBC to cut business ties with Trump.

The former star of the "Celebrity Apprentice" reality show sued both companies, settling with NBC in September, which included buying the network's stake in the pageants.

That same month, Trump sold the organization that includes the Miss Universe, Miss USA and Miss Teen USA pageants to entertainment company WME-IMG.

"It's quite a telenovela to be honest with you," said a laughing Manuel Abud, president and CEO of Azteca America, referring to the Spanish-language soap operas.

Abud's Spanish-language network won the broadcast rights to the contest only a few weeks ago. For English-language audiences, the show is being broadcast on Fox starting at 7 p.m. EST.

"It was such a shame for such an important event to the Hispanic community to be taken hostage by politics," he said.

The Hispanic audience loves to "cheer for the countries," he said. "It's a big deal."

Despite Trump disappearing from the business, Abud said his company didn't jump right in, concerned there might still be lingering anti-Trump sentiment connected to the pageant.

"As long as we made it clear that Trump had nothing to do with it anymore, then we should be in the clear," he said they concluded.

And so far, he said, no one has asked him if he's crazy for signing on.



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • New #MeToo ROM exhibit tackles sexual misconduct in the art world

    Entertainment CBC News
    This weekend, the Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto wades into the #MeToo conversation with a display prompted by sexual misconduct allegations against an artist whose work is being exhibited at the museum at the same time. Source
  • Director James Gunn fired from Guardians of the Galaxy 3 over old tweets

    Entertainment CBC News
    James Gunn was fired Friday as director of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 because of old tweets that recently emerged where he joked about subjects like pedophilia and rape. Walt Disney Studios Chairman Alan Horn said in a statement that the tweets are indefensible, and the studio has severed ties with Gunn. Source
  • Director James Gunn fired from 'Guardians 3' over old tweets

    Entertainment CTV News
    LOS ANGELES -- James Gunn was fired Friday as director of "Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3" because of old tweets that recently emerged where he joked about subjects like pedophilia and rape. Walt Disney Studios Chairman Alan Horn said in a statement that the tweets are indefensible, and the studio has severed ties with Gunn. Source
  • David Spade: Family coming together after Kate Spade's death

    Entertainment CTV News
    LOS ANGELES -- Just a month after funeral services for his sister-in-law, comic-actor David Spade was back to business, promoting his new movie. But he also offered a few words about his family tragedy. Fashion designer Kate Spade was married to David's brother, entrepreneur Andy Spade. Source
  • Robin Williams artworks, memorabilia to be auctioned

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK -- Artworks owned by Robin Williams and memorabilia from his career including autographed scripts, awards and props will be auctioned in the fall. Sotheby's announced Friday that the collection of Williams and his wife, Marsha, will be auctioned in New York on Oct. Source
  • No promises to change 'Kanata' after Robert Lepage meets with show's opponents

    Entertainment CTV News
    MONTREAL -- The executive director of the Native Women's Shelter of Montreal says Quebec director Robert Lepage hasn't committed to including Indigenous performers in his upcoming show after meeting with community members. Nakuset, who uses only one name, says she was one of about 40 people who attended a six-hour meeting with Lepage's team on Thursday to discuss their concerns with the casting of Kanata, which will be performed in Paris by a French acting group in December. Source
  • Rapper Common goes back to school to help teachers

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK -- Rapper Common has won three Grammys, a Golden Globe and an Academy Award but a recent visit to a New York City school was "humbling" -- mainly because many of the students were too young to know his music. Source
  • From beer to 'Mamma Mia!': 'The Most Interesting Man in the World' talks Canada and Cher

    Entertainment CTV News
    He doesn’t always appear in romantic jukebox musicals, but when he does, “The Most Interesting Man in the World” picks the most quintessential of them all: “Mamma Mia!” Though he’s more known for blood that smells like cologne and once fooling a psychic, Jonathan Goldsmith -- the actor famous for playing a suave beer drinker in the Dos Equis TV spots -- makes a brief cameo in “Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again,” out today. Source
  • A year after 'Despacito' has Latin music found a permanent home on Canadian radio?

    Entertainment CTV News
    TORONTO -- Singer Alx Veliz is certain that a recent swell in the popularity of Latin music is signalling a change of tastes with many Canadian listeners. He points to the numerous Latin songs that broke into mainstream consciousness across the country last year, led by the colossal hit, "Despacito," performed by Luis Fonsi, Daddy Yankee, and Justin Bieber. Source
  • Sesame Street to enter U.S. classrooms in new deal with McGraw-Hill Education

    Entertainment CBC News
    Sesame Street is taking its beloved, critically acclaimed brand of educational television into the highly profitable world of classroom curriculum — a move that experts say could open the door for other companies to move into the sensitive learning space with possible influence on children. Source