Nicki Minaj ignores human rights critics to perform at Angola concert

(Luanda, Angola) - U.S. rapper and songwriter Nicki Minaj ignored international critics Saturday and performed at a concert linked to the family of Angola's long-ruling President Jose Eduardo dos Santos.

See Full Article

The 33-year-old hip-hop star entertained several thousand of people at a Christmas concert in the Angolan capital Luanda despite calls from rights groups to cancel the tour, which they saw as an endorsement of the authoritarian rule of dos Santos.

The concert was hosted by the Angola's largest mobile phone company, which is part owned by the dos Santos family.

Before going on stage, Minaj posted a photo of herself in a jumpsuit and draped in the black-and-red flag of Angola on photo-sharing service Instagram.

Reppin the flag on my back. ANGOLA I LOVE UUUUUUUUUUUUU. THANK UUUUUUUU!!!!!!!! Muuuuaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

A photo posted by Nicki Minaj (@nickiminaj) on

Concert organisers said they had sold 6,000 tickets for the concert, which was held in the 12,000-seat Coqueiros Stadium where she shared the stage with several local acts.

Minaj had come in for criticism for agreeing to perform, with Human Rights Foundation president Thor Halvorssen saying this week that she had "no good reason... to do business with the corrupt Angolan dictatorship and endorse the ruler's family company".

Jeffery Smith of the Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights centre also accused Minaj of "following in the footsteps of Mariah Carey, callously taking money from a dictator".

Fellow U.S. singer Carey was criticised in 2013 for performing in front of dos Santos, who has governed the southern African nation for 36 years.

Smith said dos Santos had mounted a "sustained crackdown on basic human rights" arresting activists, opposition members, journalists, as well as musicians.

Minaj performed a day after a judge ordered the release of 15 Angolan activists, including prominent rapper Luaty Beirao, who were arrested six months ago during a book reading where one of the books on the agenda was about non-violent resistance to repressive regimes.

The group of youthful activists return to court next month for the conclusion of their trial on charges of "rebellion" and attempting to carry out a "coup".

Dos Santos, 73, has been accused of overseeing corruption, misrule and intimidation in a country that suffers endemic poverty despite being Africa's second-largest oil producer.

Angola marked 40 years of independence from Portugal last month, with dos Santos vowing to bring progress to the country, but critics accuse him of ruling through fear and repression.



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • Globalism reigns at box office, while Fate of the Furious passes $1B

    Entertainment CBC News
    A South India sensation, a Hispanic-focused comedy and the highest-grossing film ever directed by an African-American made up the top three films in North America on a culturally diverse box office weekend. As expected, it was another runaway weekend for The Fate of the Furious, which took No. Source
  • Francis Ford Coppola and Godfather cast reunite at Tribeca Film Fest

    Entertainment CBC News
    Debilitating studio battles. One miraculously still cat. Mooning contests between James Caan and Marlon Brando. These were the memories shared, 45 years later, on the making of The Godfather in a rare reunion of the film's cast and director Francis Ford Coppola at Radio City Music Hall. Source
  • 'Godfather' director Francis Ford Coppola, Al Pacino, other cast reunite at Tribeca Film Fest

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    NEW YORK — Debilitating studio battles. One miraculously still cat. Mooning contests between James Caan and Marlon Brando. These were the memories shared, 45 years later, on the making of The Godfather in a rare reunion of the film’s cast and director Francis Ford Coppola at Radio City Music Hall. Source
  • CBC News takes home 4 awards from Canadian Association of Journalists

    Entertainment CBC News
    CBC News has been recognized for its investigative work and strong storytelling with four awards from the Canadian Association of Journalists annual banquet on Saturday. Recipients included senior correspondent Adrienne Arsenault and producer Nazim Baksh for The Extremes, which looks at why Belgium was a target for a terrorist attack. Source
  • Box office: 'Furious' passes $1B, 'Latin Lover' surprises

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK -- "The Fate of the Furious" throttled past $1 billion globally and took No. 1 at the box office for the third straight week on a weekend where multicultural offerings dominated North American theatres. Source
  • Iranian filmmaker jailed for his work released early

    Entertainment CBC News
    An award-winning Iranian filmmaker imprisoned over his work has been released after serving about five months of his year-long sentence, though he doesn't know whether he'll make movies again in the Islamic Republic. Keywan Karimi told The Associated Press on Sunday that he credited international pressure for his early release, as well as escaping the 223 lashes that were part of his sentence. Source
  • Maroon 5, Usher, Alabama Shakes headline Jazz Fest Day 2

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW ORLEANS -- Performances by Maroon 5, the Alabama Shakes, and Usher & The Roots brought crowd-pleasing rock, blues and R&B to the second day of the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival, while jazz clarinetist Pete Fountain earned a special place in the event's history. Source
  • Coppola and 'Godfather' cast reunite at Tribeca Film Fest

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK -- Debilitating studio battles. One miraculously still cat. Mooning contests between James Caan and Marlon Brando. These were the memories shared, 45 years later, on the making of "The Godfather" in a rare reunion of the film's cast and director Francis Ford Coppola at Radio City Music Hall. Source
  • Despite presidential snub, Trump jokes front and centre at White House press dinners

    Entertainment CBC News
    Without U.S. President Donald Trump, who scheduled a rally instead to mark his 100th day in office, the usually celebrity-filled soiree hosted by the White House Correspondents' Association took a more sober turn, even as it pulled in top journalists and Washington insiders. Source
  • Chaos-hit luxury festival promises to come back next year

    Entertainment CTV News
    The Fyre Festival was abruptly aborted Friday after hundreds of party-goers -- who had paid for tickets costing up to $12,000 and VIP packages that rose to $250,000 -- arrived only to be welcomed by relief-camp style tents and rudimentary sandwiches rather than the promised lavish experience. Source