'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' heading for $215 million-plus weekend

NEW YORK -- "Star Wars" fever has spread through movie theatres around the globe, even reaching the White House, as the franchise yet again began toppling box-office records with waves of lightsaber-wielding fans.

See Full Article

Following a record $57 million from Thursday night showings in North America, and packed matinees on Friday, the Walt Disney Co. projected that "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" will surpass $215 million on the weekend, besting the record domestic opening of "Jurassic World," which debuted with $208.8 million in June.

Such an outcome would surprise few analysts, but the numbers were nevertheless eye-popping. "The Force Awakens" was heading toward a Thursday night-Friday total of more than $120 million domestically, said Dave Hollis, head of distribution for Disney. The previous one-day high was $91.1 million set by "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2" in 2011.

In such rarified territory, Disney has been cautious about overestimating the box-office force of J.J. Abrams' seventh chapter in George Lucas' space saga. Based on the early response, many analysts have the film pegged for a weekend total closer to $250 million -- far above "Jurassic World."

Disney's biggest worry has been that moviegoers will be too daunted by sold-out shows and long lines. More than $100 million advance tickets (also a record) were sold ahead of the opening of "The Force Awakens," much of those going toward Thursday and Friday shows. Saturday and Sunday will depend more on traditional walk-up business. Hollis said exhibitors are continually adding more screenings to satisfy demand.

The international rollout for the film, made for about $200 million, has already brought in an estimated total of $72.7 million since opening in a handful of countries Wednesday. "The Force Awakens" is simultaneously opening around the world just about everywhere but China, where it debuts in January.

It's setting records overseas, too, including the biggest single day ever in the United Kingdom with an estimated $14.4 million on Thursday.

While "Star Wars" helped create the summer blockbuster, "The Force Awakens" is debuting in the holiday season of December, where the previous top opening was the $84.6 million debut of 2012's "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey." By Disney's estimates, "The Force Awakens" -- the widest December opening ever with 4,134 theatres -- blew past that number by Friday afternoon.

Imax and 3-D screenings are helping to propel the record gross. Disney said that 47 per cent of the Thursday box office came from 3-D showings and $5.7 million from Imax screens.

A lot is riding on the film for Disney, which paid $4.06 billion for Lucasfilm in 2012. Sequels and spinoffs are already in development for years to come, not to mention an entire corner of Disneyland devoted to the franchise.

Strong reviews for the film, which is set 30 years after "Return of the Jedi," have added to the fervour for "The Force Awakens." Critics have hailed it as a fan-friendly return to form for the franchise; the American Film Institute listed it among its top 10 films of the year.

Such a positive reaction for "The Force Awakens" may attract the kind of repeat viewings that made James Cameron's "Avatar" and "Titanic" the highest grossing films of all time. Whether "The Force Awakens" can come close to the global hauls of those films ($2.8 billion for "Avatar" and $2.2 billion for "Titanic") won't be clear for weeks.

But so far, "The Force Awakens" is attracting the interest of seemingly everyone. President Barack Obama began a year-end news conference Friday noting, "Clearly, this is not the most important event that's taking place in the White House today." Soon to begin was a screening of the film for families who have lost a relative to combat or service-related injuries.

After fielding questions, Obama concluded the press conference: "OK everybody, I got to get to 'Star Wars.' "



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • Netflix spokesperson says Prince discussed reality show

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK -- Here's something else we lost with the death of Prince: A Netflix reality series centred on his Paisley Park home in Minnesota. A Netflix spokesperson told The Associated Press on Saturday that the online entertainment company had been in "discussions" with Prince about a series, but that the project did not "come to fruition" before his death in April. Source
  • Kirk Douglas turns 100

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. — Kirk Douglas knows how to make an entrance. With boxing gloves in every centrepiece and the theme from Rocky blaring over the speakers, Douglas, one of the golden age of Hollywood’s last living legends, walked confidently into the Sunset Room at the Beverly Hills Hotel Friday afternoon to celebrate his 100th birthday at an intimate gathering of friends and family. Source
  • Kim's Convenience fans brave the cold to meet stars of hit CBC show

    Entertainment CBC News
    Fans of Kim's Convenience braved the cold on Saturday to meet stars of the hit CBC show — a sitcom that's shining a spotlight on the Canadian immigrant experience and putting Asian actors front-and-centre. The meet-and-greet at 252 Queen Street East — home of the real-life Kim's Convenience store used for the show — gave fans a chance to meet stars Paul Sun-Hyung Lee, Simu Liu and Jean Yoon. Source
  • 'I stand before you as a doormat'; Madonna condemns music industry's misogyny in Billboard award speech

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Madonna blasted the music industry for oppressing women and restricting their freedom during a blistering speech. The 58-year-old pop icon made the comments while accepting the Woman of the Year award at Billboard’s annual Women in Music event on Friday. Source
  • Khloe Kardashian's divorce from Lamar Odom to be finalized Dec. 17

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Khloe Kardashian and Lamar Odom will be officially divorced in one week. The reality star’s legal proceedings to split from her estranged husband will finalized on Dec. 17, according to court documents obtained by TMZ.com. Both Khloe and the former basketball star have waived spousal support, and will be equally sharing their joint checking account and their production company Khlomar. Source
  • 'Harry Potter' star Matthew Lewis, aka Neville Longbottom, getting married

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Harry Potter star Matthew Lewis is engaged. The 27-year-old British actor popped the question to girlfriend Angela Jones last month while on a romantic trip to Paris, France, according to TMZ.com. The couple met during the annual Celebration of Harry Potter event at Universal Studios’ Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Orlando, Fla. Source
  • Inside Kirk Douglas's intimate 100th birthday celebration

    Entertainment CTV News
    BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. -- Kirk Douglas knows how to make an entrance. With boxing gloves in every centerpiece and the theme from "Rocky" blaring over the speakers, Douglas, one of the golden age of Hollywood's last living legends, walked confidently into the Sunset Room at the Beverly Hills Hotel Friday afternoon to celebrate his 100th birthday at an intimate gathering of friends and family. Source
  • It's about time for a sci-fi film like Arrival

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    We’ll be doing a lot of soul-searching and head-scratching as awards-season progresses this month. And some of us will savour this brief, shining annual moment when movies are worth arguing about. This week, I submit my own favourite horse in the race — Denis Villeneuve’s Arrival. Source
  • Schwarzenegger: OK Trump is still 'Apprentice' producer

    Entertainment CTV News
    UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif. -- Arnold Schwarzenegger, star of the new version of "Celebrity Apprentice," is unfazed that President-elect Donald Trump has retained a producer's stake in the show. Schwarzenegger said Friday that it's just business, comparable to his situation when he became California's governor and retained a screen credit and kept earning royalties for the "Terminator" movie. Source
  • Madonna's longevity takes centre stage with Billboard honour: 'I'm still standing'

    Entertainment CBC News
    The annual Billboard Women In Music event featured emotional and heartfelt speeches about the uphill battles women face in the music industry, including personal stories from top honouree Madonna and pop singer Kesha. The Material Girl, named woman of the year Friday, was passionate as she spoke onstage in New York about being raped at knifepoint, battling critics, and being called words like "whore," "witch" and "Satan" throughout her career. Source