'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' on track for $200M weekend

@

By @

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS@

NEW YORK -- The Walt Disney Co. is forecasting that "The Force Awakens" will make more than $100 million in North America on Friday and is headed for a weekend total beyond $200 million.

See Full Article

Disney says the new "Star Wars" film will possibly overtake the $208.8 million record of "Jurassic World" set in June, based on the robust box office receipt of Friday matinees. A $100 million day would best the previous one-day high of $91.1 million, set by "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2."

"The Force Awakens" has already set a new record for Thursday night previews with an estimated $57 million from showings that began at about 7 p.m. Thursday.



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • U.K. police say death of Dolores O'Riordan not suspicious

    Entertainment CTV News
    LONDON -- Police say they are not treating the death of Cranberries singer Dolores O'Riordan as suspicious. O'Riordan was found dead Monday morning at a London hotel. Police initially called the death "unexplained," but said Tuesday that nothing suspicious had been found. Source
  • Dolores O'Riordan found second home in Ontario, called herself 'half a Canuck'

    Entertainment CTV News
    Dolores O'Riordan, the defiant voice of Irish rock band the Cranberries who died Monday at 46, found a certain solace in her second home -- a remote town in Ontario. When she wasn't performing rock anthems like "Zombie," "Linger" and "Dreams" before audiences of thousands, O'Riordan was often at her cottage north of Peterborough, Ont. Source
  • Stratford Festival received $10 million gift for Tom Patterson Theatre

    Entertainment CBC News
    The Startford Festival announced it has received a $10 million dollar gift from long time supporter Ophelia Lazaridis as part of the theatre's new $100 million dollar campaign aimed to rebuild and secure the Tom Patterson Theatre. Source
  • UKIP leader breaks up with girlfriend over racist texts

    Entertainment CBC News
    The leader of the anti-EU U.K. Independence Party says he has broken up with his girlfriend after she made racist remarks about Prince Harry's fiancée, Meghan Markle. Henry Bolton said Monday that "the romantic side" of his relationship with 25-year-old Jo Marney was over. Source
  • UKIP leader breaks up with girlfriend over racist texts about Meghan Markle

    Entertainment CBC News
    The leader of the anti-EU U.K. Independence Party says he has broken up with his girlfriend after she made racist remarks about Prince Harry's fiancée, Meghan Markle. Henry Bolton said Monday that "the romantic side" of his relationship with 25-year-old Jo Marney was over. Source
  • Cranberries singer Dolores O'Riordan dead at 46

    Entertainment CTV News
    TORONTO -- Dolores O'Riordan, lead singer of the Cranberries who split her time between Ireland and a remote town in Ontario, has died at 46. Publicist Lindsey Holmes says O'Riordan died suddenly Monday in London, where she was recording. Source
  • 'We are crushed:' Fans, friends pay tribute to Cranberries singer Dolores O'Riordan

    Entertainment CBC News
    Dolores O'Riordan, lead singer of Irish band the Cranberries, has died at age 46. O'Riordan died in London, where she was recording, publicist Lindsey Holmes said. The cause of death wasn't immediately available. Holmes said the singer's family is devastated by the news. Source
  • 'I really struggled to finish:' Céline Dion apologizes to fans for cancelling 3rd Las Vegas concert this month

    Entertainment CBC News
    Céline Dion says she is "truly sorry" for cancelling another Las Vegas concert as she continues to battle throat inflammation. The Quebec singer posted on Facebook that after struggling to get through her show on Friday, her doctors told her she "absolutely" could not perform as scheduled the following night. Source
  • Celine Dion cancels third Las Vegas show as throat inflammation persists

    Entertainment CTV News
    LAS VEGAS -- Celine Dion says she is "truly sorry" for cancelling another Las Vegas concert as she continues to battle throat inflammation. The Quebec singer posted on Facebook that after struggling to get through her show on Friday, her doctors told her she "absolutely" could not perform as scheduled the following night. Source
  • Zeta-Jones says Michael Douglas is a 'Me Too' supporter

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK -- Catherine Zeta-Jones says her husband, Michael Douglas, is "110 per cent" in support of the movement against sexual harassment. Earlier this month, Douglas issued what he called a pre-emptive denial of allegations, yet to be published, that he harassed an employee in the 1980s and damaged her career. Source