Edward Norton raises $425,000 for Syrian refugee

New York -- U.S. actor Edward Norton has raised more than $425,000 as of Tuesday for a Syrian refugee whom he read about on a popular blog and whose tragic story moved him "to tears.

See Full Article

"

The Syrian, a scientist who lost seven members of his family in a bombing two years ago -- including his wife and a daughter -- was featured on the website "Humans of New York" earlier this month.

The blog, created in 2010 by US photographer Brandon Stanton, began by featuring everyday New Yorkers and sharing small snippets of their life stories, but has now expanded to include individuals from other countries.

The Syrian, whom the website simply refers to as "the scientist," is living in Istanbul but will soon move to Troy, Michigan.

"We survived but we're dead psychologically. Everything ended for us that day," he told the blog, which captured him in a series of photos, one of which shows him sitting on a couch between a son and daughter.

The refugee also said that he is suffering from stomach cancer that has not been properly treated due to lack of means.

"I just want to get back to work. I want to be a person again," said the gray-haired scientist, whose story has drawn the attention of US President Barack Obama.

"As a husband and a father, I cannot even begin to imagine the loss you've endured," Obama posted on the Humans of New York Facebook page.

"You and your family are an inspiration. I know that the great people of Michigan will embrace you with the compassion and support you deserve," Obama said.

Norton, who has starred in films including "The Incredible Hulk," "Fight Club" and Oscar-winning dark comedy "Birdman," had raised $426,987 as of mid-Tuesday.

"Let's reject the 'anti-human' voices that tell us to fear refugees and show this man and his family what Americans are really made of," Norton said.

"I saw this story on one of my favorite sites, Humans of New York, and it moved me to tears," he said.

Obama has pledged to take in 10,000 Syrians over the course of the next year, but many American states -- apparently fearing Islamist extremists will be hiding among the flow of refugees -- have said they do not want them.



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • Macaulay Culkin plays crucified Kurt Cobain in music video

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Home Alone star Macaulay Culkin has landed his most bizarre role, as late rocker Kurt Cobain in a new music video. The grown-up child star portrays the Nirvana frontman in Father John Misty’s Total Entertainment Forever promo. Source
  • Prince's former Toronto home on the market

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    The Toronto, Canada estate Prince shared with his ex-wife Manuela Testolini from 2001 to 2006 has been put on the market for just under $13.2 million. The current owner had previously listed the spacious compound for $9.5 million in 2015, but pulled it from the market last year following the superstar’s death, reports TMZ.com. Source
  • 'I broke the Internet'; Orlando Bloom talks nude paddle boarding pics

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    British actor Orlando Bloom has urged the media to move on from his infamous nude paddle boarding photos, because he is so “over” having to discuss the images. The well-endowed Lord of the Rings star let it all hang out during his August, 2016 vacation to Italy with his then-girlfriend Katy Perry, wearing just a baseball cap and sunglasses for his day at the beach. Source
  • The Temptations bass player Kerry Turman dies at 59

    Entertainment CTV News
    CAPE GIRARDEAU, Mo. - Kerry Turman, a longtime bassist for The Temptations, has died after a performance in Missouri. He was 59. The coroner in Cape Girardeau County says Turman was found dead at a local hotel early Sunday, shortly after performing Saturday night in Cape Girardeau. Source
  • Johnny Depp denies out of control spending, hits back at ex-business managers [Video]

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Johnny Depp has denied claims that his financial woes have been caused by out of control spending. In January, the Pirates of the Caribbean star sued his former advisers Joel and Robert Mandel and their The Management Group (TMG) company, alleging fraud and negligence. Source
  • 'The Amazing Race' returns for Season 29 fighting for its life

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Strangers in a strange land. That’s the direction The Amazing Race decided to go in for the first time in its 29 season history. The multiple Emmy Award-winning reality show, now airing on Thursday nights on CTV and CBS, paired up 22 strangers to navigate across the globe deciphering clues, performing mental and physical tasks, meet the locals and take planes, trains and automobiles for a one million dollar prize. Source
  • 'Stay away': Musicians urge Radiohead to scrap Israel show as promoters brush off boycott calls

    Entertainment CBC News
    A number of musicians, activists and artists are encouraging Radiohead to scrap a planned July show in Israel as part of a cultural boycott. Pink Floyd's Roger Waters, Desmond Tutu and Sonic Youth's Thurston Moore are among the more than 40 people who have co-signed an open letter to the influential British band, under the Artists for Palestine UK network. Source
  • ‘Bachelor’ star called 911 before allegedly fleeing scene

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    IOWA CITY, Iowa — Former “The Bachelor” star Chris Soules called 911 to report his crash that killed a fellow Iowa farmer, seeking medical help for the man before he allegedly left the scene. Soules told the dispatcher that he “rear-ended a guy on a tractor” with his pickup truck Monday night on a road near the northern Iowa town of Aurora, according to a recording of the call released Wednesday. Source
  • Fred Penner weighs album of grown-up tracks for a 'deeper connection' with fans

    Entertainment CTV News
    TORONTO -- Fred Penner won his legendary status entertaining kids with "The Cat Came Back" and other favourites, but the singer says he's considering an album for grown-ups. "I've written songs along the way," the 70-year-old performer said in a recent interview. Source
  • Unbreakable/Split crossover film gets title and release date [Video]

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Writer-director M. Night Shyamalan has announced that after 17 years he will finally release a sequel to Unbreakable. Shyamalan broke the news on Twitter after teasing the sequel during the end credits for his recent thriller Split, which featured James McAvoy as a kidnapper with a multiple-personality disorder who captures three teens. Source