Stormtroopers, droids on red carpet of 'The Force Awakens' world premiere

LOS ANGELES -- Stormtroopers marched and droids rolled down the red carpet at "The Force Awakens" world premiere Monday, heralding the return of "Star Wars" after a decade-long absence from the big screen.

See Full Article

A giant opaque tent shrouded the carpet, which was lined with Stormtrooper mannequins and neon lights that resembled giant lightsabers. Inside the tent, a whole constellation of stars were assembled, including Harrison Ford, Lupita Nyong'o, Jon Favreau and Janelle Monae.

Before the film's human stars arrived, the droid BB-8 rolled by the cameras. The soccerball-esque droid has been a popular fixture in trailers for the seventh "Star Wars" film, and it was soon joined by series mainstays C-3PO and R2-D2.

John Williams' soaring score played as "The Force Awakens" cast, including Ford, Nyong'o, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Max von Sydow, Gwendolyn Christie, John Boyega and Daisy Ridley conducted interviews.

At one point, Fisher turned the microphone on her co-star, Oscar Isaac, and conducted an interview that included her dropping an expletive.

Ford reflected on the impact of the film and the role that catapulted him to superstardom.

"Well, in the '70s nobody knew what to anticipate," Ford said in an interview with Starwars.com. "Nobody had ever seen anything like it. Now we have to live up to what the first films delivered."

Despite being in charge of "The Force Awakens" for the past three years, director J.J. Abrams seemed overwhelmed by the magnitude of the premiere.

"It's very surreal. I've never seen this kind of thing," he told Starwars.com. "It's insane. I feel enormously guilty for this community, this neighbourhood."

Also present for the premiere was "Star Wars" creator George Lucas.

Disney took over a half-mile section of Hollywood Boulevard for the premiere, where the film was screening at three theatres. Some 5,000 invited guests would see the characters Luke Skywalker, Leia Organa and Han Solo reunite for the first time on the big screen since 1983's "Return of the Jedi."

In bleachers set up on the boulevard, some fans dressed as X-Wing pilots while others held up helmets resembling those worn by bounty hunters in the film.

Security around the site was high, with metal detectors screening pedestrians and police dogs checking the area.

For those without tickets to the premiere, the most they could see was the outside of the tent.

"We're really disappointed because we are big Star Wars fans, and we were hoping to at least see a little of the celebrities," said Natalie Arnet, a tourist from Paris.

"I understand the need for security," Arnet said.

But for a lifelong "Star Wars" fan, it was tough being that close to the premiere and not getting a better look. "I wanted to see the old cast members because I grew up with these films," she said.

Actors Chadwick Boseman and Sarah Hyland and director Steven Spielberg were among the Hollywood stars who attended what could be the largest Hollywood premiere ever. One of the participating theatres -- the iconic TCL Chinese -- hosted the premiere of the original "Star Wars" in 1977.

Spielberg praised the franchise, saying he knew when the first film was released that it would be an enduring hit. "It was a slow burn, but I knew it would never go away," Spielberg told Starwars.com.

"The Force Awakens" opens to the public Friday and some expect the film to break box office records, as it has already with presale tickets.



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • Scott Disick, Sofia Richie make is Instagram official [Video]

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Scott Disick and Sofia Richie have taken their romance to the next level by sharing pictures of each other on social media. After weeks of rumours, the reality TV star and Lionel Richie’s daughter confirmed they were dating last week when they were pictured kissing on a beach in Miami, and they have already stepped up their relationship by making it Instagram official. Source
  • Jeffrey Dean Morgan accidentally reveals he and wife Hilarie Burton are expecting a baby girl [Video]

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Jeffrey Dean Morgan was left red-faced after accidentally revealing that he and wife Hilarie Burton are expecting a daughter at the Supernatural convention in New Jersey on Sunday. The 51-year-old actor was just one of the castmembers of the hit U.S. Source
  • Caitlyn Jenner's rep confirms Kylie's pregnancy, has known for 'some time' [Video]

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Kylie Jenner’s father Caitlyn has known about the 20-year-old’s shock pregnancy for “some time”, according to a spokesperson for the transgender Olympian. The reality TV star and make-up mogul hit headlines on Friday amid multiple reports suggesting she is expecting a baby with her rapper boyfriend Travis Scott. Source
  • 'It’s not my hand': Taron Egerton refused to shoot sex scene in 'Kingsman: The Golden Circle'

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Poppy Delevingne’s husband landed an unexpected cameo in Kingsman: The Golden Circle after leading man Taron Egerton declined to shoot a controversial sex scene with the model-turned-actress. Egerton reprises his role as spy Eggsy Unwin in the sequel to 2014’s Kingsman: The Secret Service, and part of the plot requires Unwin to get intimate with his mission target, Clara, played by Poppy, to plant a tracking device in her genitals. Source
  • Jennifer Lopez donates $1M to Puerto Rico relief

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK -- Jennifer Lopez has pledged $1 million toward hurricane relief efforts in her family's native Puerto Rico. Lopez announced during a news conference with New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo on Sunday that she would give money from her ongoing Las Vegas residency to various charities in the aftermath of Hurricane Maria. Source
  • Francois Girard's 'Hochelaga' is Canada's pick for best foreign-language film

    Entertainment CTV News
    Actors, from left, Samian, Naiade Aoun, and Wahiakeron Gilbert, as well as producer Roger Frappier, and Telefilm Canada's executive director Carolle Brabant, pose for photos after the film "Hochelaga, Land of Souls," was named as Canada's entry in the race for the 2018 Best Foreign Language Film Oscar on Sept. Source
  • Prince Harry, Meghan Markle make first official public appearance together

    Entertainment CTV News
    TORONTO -- Prince Harry and his girlfriend Meghan Markle have made their first official public appearance as a couple. The prince and Markle, a Toronto-based actor in the legal drama "Suits," held hands Monday afternoon as they walked toward Toronto's city hall to take in one of the sporting events for the Invictus Games. Source
  • Hochelaga, terre des âmes named Canada's foreign-language contender for the Oscars

    Entertainment CBC News
    Hochelaga, terre des âmes has been chosen to represent Canada for the best foreign-language film Oscar. The film was written and directed by Quebecer François Girard, the director of 1998's The Red Violin. Carolle Brabant, the executive director of Telefim Canada, made the announcement in Montreal Monday afternoon. Source
  • Toronto premiere of 'Muriel’s Wedding' delayed, Mirvish adds three new shows

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    TORONTO - Mirvish Productions is delaying the Toronto premiere of “Muriel’s Wedding,” the musical adaptation of the film that was set to debut in the spring. The theatre production company says scheduling conflicts have caused the delay. Source
  • Don Rickles interview series debuts online

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    NEW YORK — A digital series starring late comedy legend Don Rickles will debut online Monday. The 13-episode show “Dinner with Don ,” produced by AARP Studios, features Rickles interviewing celebrities such as Jimmy Kimmel, Snoop Dogg , Robert De Niro and Martin Scorsese at his favourite restaurants in Hollywood. Source