- Category: Entertainment
- Published Monday, December 14, 2015
- CTV News
LOS ANGELES - The new "Star Wars: The Force Awakens," opens in theatres this week.
Here is a brief description of the main characters in the saga that takes place in a fictional galaxy.
- Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill): Orphaned farm boy who overcomes his humble beginnings to become the greatest Jedi in the Galaxy. His role in "The Force Awakens" is unclear.
- Han Solo (Harrison Ford): In the original "Star War" trilogy, Han plays a smuggler from the planet Corellia who becomes one of the great leaders of the Rebel Alliance. Ford is coming back to play the role 32 years later and will portray an older Han Solo.
- Princess Leia Organa (Carrie Fisher): One of the Rebel Alliance's greatest leaders and sister of Luke Skywalker. Fischer is also returning to the screen to play an older Princess Leia.
- Chewbacca (Peter Mayhew): A gentle furry character and Han Solo's partner in crime.
- Yoda: Legendary Jedi Master known for his wisdom and skills with the light saber. He dies in "Star Wars: Return of the Jedi".
- Darth Vader: Villain and one of the most recognizable figures on "Star Wars". Though he died in the last episode, there is speculation he might appear in some form or another in "The Force Awakens."
C3PO (Anthony Daniels): Droid programmed for etiquette and protocol and accomplice of R2-D2 in the saga.
R2-D2 (Kenny Baker): resourceful and eccentric droid known for his whistles and beeps. He has served as a mechanic for the Skywalker family for many generations.
New cast members:
- Finn (John Boyega): Portrayed as a renegade stormtrooper in "The Force Awakens" trailer, but there is speculation whether he might actually be a Jedi.
- Rey (Daisy Ridley): A scavenger who lives in a spaceship graveyard on the planet Jakku. Speculation is that she may be the daughter of Han and Leia.
- Poe Dameron (Oscar Isaac): Describes himself as "the best freaking pilot in the Galaxy" in the new film.
- Captain Phasma (Gwendoline Christie): Mysterious villain in charge of the new Stormtroopers.
- Kylo Ren (Adam Driver): New villain with a three-blade lightsaber who resembles Darth Vader.
- Supreme Leader Snoke (Andy Serkis): Will play a fully motion-captured, computer-animated character. His voice is behind the ominous message in the first trailer: "There has been an awakening. Have you felt it? The dark side and the light."
- Maz Kanata (Lupita Nyong'o): Also a motion-captured character who plays a pirate whose castle is packed with smugglers from across the galaxy.
- General Hux (Domhnall Gleeson): The Harry Potter star will be in charge at Starkiller Base, one of the First Order's strongholds.
- BB-8: New droid of unclear origin.