'Most hated' man in America buys elusive Wu-Tang Clan album

(Washington) -- Martin Shkreli has been called the most hated man in America and the pharmaceutical tycoon's reputation looks set to get worse after he bought the vaunted secret Wu-Tang Clan album.

See Full Article

The New York rap collective revealed last year that it had recorded only one copy of a 31-track double-album entitled "Once Upon a Time in Shaolin," kept in a vault with a leather-bound 174-page lyric book waiting for a buyer.

Bloomberg BusinessWeek on Thursday revealed that Shkreli had bought the album for $2 million.

The 32-year-old executive immediately teased Wu-Tang Clan fans, writing on Twitter that he "may play something special."

The agreement forbade Shkreli from reselling "Once Upon a Time in Shaolin" but gave him the right to stream it for free online.

The entrepreneur is best known to the public after his company, Turing Pharmaceuticals, in September decided to raise the price of Daraprim, a drug used to treat HIV-positive people, from $13.50 to $750.

The move earned him the moniker in the media as the "most hated man in America"

"No one -- including Martin Shkreli -- should have the power to price-gouge American families," Democratic presidential frontrunner Hillary Clinton said at the time, with Republican candidate and fellow tycoon Donald Trump calling Shkreli "a spoiled brat."

One of Shkreli's favorite ways of self-expression is a livestream of himself on YouTube, in which he speaks about chemical molecules or surfs dating sites.

"It's good because people get to see what I'm like, and most people are like, 'Oh, you're not as bad as I thought'," he said in November.

The Wu-Tang Clan -- which has fashioned itself as socially conscious, despite frequent feuds with other rappers -- found itself on the defensive after Shkreli was revealed as the buyer.

"The sale of 'Once Upon a Time in Shaolin' was agreed upon in May, well before Martin Skhreli's (sic) business practices came to light," RZA, generally seen as the leader of the ensemble, said in a statement.

"We decided to give a significant portion of the proceeds to charity."



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • MasterChef Canada's Aaron Polsky is picking Trevor to win it all

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    MasterChef Canada’s Aaron Polsky was sent home this week after his vegetarian tagine failed to impress the judges. But that wasn’t the hardest loss he took while competing in the MasterChef Canada kitchen. Losing the Restaurant Takeover in Chef Michael Bonacini’s north Toronto landmark Auberge du Pommier earlier in the episode stung the worst. Source
  • 'Star Trek: Discovery' adds several Canadian actors

    Entertainment CTV News
    TORONTO - Several Canadians have joined the cast of the Toronto-shot series "Star Trek: Discovery." Rekha Sharma of Vancouver will play Commander Landry, the security officer of the Starship Discovery. Toronto's Kenneth Mitchell has been cast as Kol, a commanding officer in the Klingon Empire. Source
  • Judges seal warrants related to arrest of 'Bachelor' star

    Entertainment CTV News
    IOWA CITY, Iowa -- Applications for warrants that allowed police to arrest "The Bachelor" star Chris Soules after a fatal crash and to obtain his blood and urine samples will be sealed indefinitely under rulings issued Friday. Source
  • 'Casting JonBenet' review: Reliving a tabloid sensation

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Yesterday’s media circus is today’s documentary. It has, recently, seemed like all the stories that once dominated our tabloids are now cramming our screens. O.J. Simpson, Anthony Weiner, Amanda Knox. It’s as though we’re haunted by the ghost of nightly-news past. Source
  • Fyre Festival postponed after reports of Hunger Games-like conditions emerge

    Entertainment CBC News
    The inaugural Fyre Festival in the Bahamas, a two-week music event promoted by celebrities including supermodels Bella Hadid and Emily Ratajkowski, was postponed Friday after attendees reported dilapidated accommodations, and top-billed performers pulled out. The Coachella-like festival, set to run this weekend and next weekend on the Exuma Islands, was co-organized by rapper Ja Rule. Source
  • Cutting the cord: Five things to consider before ditching traditional TV

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Snip. Snip. Snip. That’s the sound of hundreds of thousands of Canadians cutting the cord, choosing to leave behind traditional television in favour of online streaming alternatives. Whether they’re fed up with sky-high cable bills or simply part of a generation that never really tuned in to begin with, more and more of us are turning our backs on old-timey TV. Source
  • What will a Hollywood writers’ strike mean?

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    LOS ANGELES — Hollywood is facing a cliffhanger after members of the Writers Guild of America voted overwhelmingly to authorize a strike that could begin as soon as next week. Negotiations resumed Tuesday as the union and the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers grapple over issues including compensation and health care. Source
  • Feist shows off 'Pleasure' at intimate Toronto show

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Feist took us to church on Thursday night as the enchanting Canadian singer-songwriter-guitarist launched her first album in six years, Pleasure, with a record release show at Trinity-St. Paul’s Centre. This meant the vocally-blessed Toronto-based artist (she was born in Nova Scotia, but raised in Calgary) performed for an hour-and-45-minutes in the beautiful confines of a 125-year-old church with high ceilings, curved archways, stained glass windows and wooden pews on a dark and stormy night…
  • Much-hyped music festival in Bahamas cancelled at last minute

    Entertainment CTV News
    MIAMI -- The organizers of a much-hyped music festival in the Bahamas have been forced to cancel the weekend event at the last minute. Fyre Festival organizers announced the cancellation of the "once-in-a-lifetime" concert on Twitter and their website after many fans had already arrived. Source
  • Judge: Cosby jury can hear about quaaludes, not Spanish fly

    Entertainment CTV News
    PHILADELPHIA - Jurors at Bill Cosby's sex assault trial in Pennsylvania will hear his explosive deposition testimony about quaaludes but not his references to the supposed aphrodisiac Spanish fly. The 79-year-old Cosby is accused of drugging and molesting Andrea Constand in 2004. Source