Oscar Isaac discusses Poe's inspiration in 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens'

LOS ANGELES -- Spoiler alert: Oscar Isaac's X-wing pilot Poe Dameron does not break into song in "Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

See Full Article

"

Isaac won awards the last time he sang onscreen, in the 2013 Coen Brothers' film "Inside Llewyn Davis," and he charmed the Twitterverse with his vocals last week when he sang a duet of "Baby, It's Cold Outside" with his "Star Wars" co-star Daisy Ridley. But Poe keeps his music on the inside.

"Poe? He's got inner song happening all the time," Isaac said in a recent interview.

Though Isaac didn't add music to Poe's repertoire, he did come up with a backstory for the character that's now part of "Star Wars" lore.

In the original 1977 film, the fictional planet Yavin was actually Guatemala's ancient Mayan city of Tikal. Isaac was born in Guatemala, so he decided that Poe must be from Yavin.

"Sure enough, LucasFilm heard that, and when it came time to do 'Shattered Empire,' the comic book, that was part of the story," Isaac said. "So other than being a part of this cultural phenomenon, what's even wilder is to be contributing to it."

The actor also worked with director J.J. Abrams to develop Poe's character in "The Force Awakens," but in keeping with the hyper-secrecy shrouding the film, Isaac won't offer any specifics.

"It's like having a gift that you're going to give to somebody and they're going to open it very soon," he said. "But that's why it's also been fun keeping it secret. Because when you buy a gift, you don't want to tell them what it is before they open it."

What Isaac will reveal, though, is that he prepared for the role by reading real-life accounts of WWII fighter pilots, who he describes as "the closest thing to superheroes that we have."

"They soar above all the rest of us at incredible speeds and they have to have so many things clear in their minds," he said. "There's so many things happening. So the fact that they can do this and survive and excel gives them a sense of invincibility, a sense of immortality. And some swagger."

Isaac may need some of that swagger himself when his roles in "Star Wars" and "X-Men: Apocalypse" make him a big-screen hero. He said he's "not looking forward" to the possibility of big fame, but he is enjoying seeing his image as an action figure.

"I think even more trippy is the Go-Gurt with my face on it. You can drink yogurt out of my head," he said. "I haven't done it yet. I'm not sure I'll be able to do it. It might be too meta for me."



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • Neil Diamond says he has Parkinson's disease, retires from touring

    Entertainment CBC News
    Neil Diamond is retiring from touring, saying he has been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. Days shy of his 77th birthday, the rock legend is cancelling his tour dates in Australia and New Zealand for March. He was on his 50th anniversary tour. Source
  • Neil Diamond says he has Parkinson's, retires from touring

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK -- Neil Diamond is retiring from touring after he says he was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. Days shy of his 77th birthday, the rock legend is cancelling his tour dates in Australia and New Zealand for March. Source
  • Jury selection for Bill Cosby's retrial slated for March 29

    Entertainment CTV News
    NORRISTOWN, Pa. -- Jury selection for Bill Cosby's criminal sex assault retrial will start March 29 in the suburban Philadelphia county where he's accused of drugging and molesting a woman in 2004. The 80-year-old entertainer's first trial had jurors from the Pittsburgh area, about 300 miles away. Source
  • Cosby jokes in first show since 2015 he 'used to be a comedian'

    Entertainment CTV News
    PHILADELPHIA -- Bill Cosby performed in public for the first time since a sex abuse scandal embroiled him in 2015, joking that he "used to be a comedian" and playing with a jazz band in his hometown as a retrial looms in his criminal sexual assault case. Source
  • 'I used to be a comedian': Cosby performs first show since 2015

    Entertainment CTV News
    PHILADELPHIA -- Bill Cosby performed in public for the first time since a sex abuse scandal embroiled him in 2015, joking that he "used to be a comedian" and playing with a jazz band in his hometown as a retrial looms in his criminal sexual assault case. Source
  • Meet the Toronto producer behind 'The Shape of Water'

    Entertainment CTV News
    TORONTO -- As Guillermo del Toro's merman romance "The Shape of Water" swims with the frontrunners this awards season, a Toronto producer who worked on the film is getting a big moment in the spotlight. Source
  • Emerging YouTubers feel the sting of sudden changes to money-making channels

    Entertainment CTV News
    TORONTO -- Ray Reynolds has attracted over 200,000 views to his travel adventures on YouTube, but last week he learned his Canadian video channel just wasn't popular enough. In a brief email sent by Google, the Vancouver-based creator of "Vacation: Impossible" was bluntly informed he would soon lose status as a monetized channel, effectively stripping his ability to earn money off his videos. Source
  • NBC's Kelly says Fonda has 'no business' lecturing her

    Entertainment CTV News
    In this combination photo, Jane Fonda appears at the 2017 ACLU SoCal's Bill of Rights Dinner in Beverly Hills, Calif., on Dec. 3, 2017, left, and Megyn Kelly poses on the set of her new show, "Megyn Kelly Today" in New York on Sept, 21, 2017. Source
  • Rehearsal, envelope verification and no cellphones: PwC unveils new rules after epic Oscars mishap

    Entertainment CBC News
    After taking responsibility for the epic best picture flub at the Oscars last year, Tim Ryan of PwC got down to business. He grilled the partners who made the gaffe, then personally reached out to the dozens of people affected by it: The show's producers, presenters and stage managers, as well as the filmmakers behind La La Land and Moonlight. Source
  • Rogers and Vice to end partnership, with Vice hinting at new Canadian plans

    Entertainment CBC News
    Rogers and Vice have terminated their joint venture that saw the latter make exclusive content to be broadcast on the former's properties. In a release on Monday, Vice Canada said it had acquired full ownership of its own studio business, which had previously been shared with Rogers Media under a two-year $100-million deal that launched in 2016 and saw Vice produce content that was broadcast on Rogers-owned networks. Source